Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)

I decided to mirror everything from the existing tank.

Using two of the same buckets currently in the passenger side.
mount the siphon portion that would have exited on the drivers side to now exist on both sides, creating an X.
-this maintains jet pump operation on both pumps and perhaps even distribution of fuel.
Removed the regulator, in turn decided to leave the blue flap to naturally open and close. (seems to work okay in the tub).
the return now flows into the nose of the bucket (behind the barrier) ...there is a tiny path to the pump from there along the sides. This will keep the bucket overflowing full.

The idea is feed from both sides to a Y then single line to filter then to front.
-rails
-regulator
return line to Y then to both fuel modules.
drivers side float will be wired in to existing harness
two relays (hot wire kit) one for each pump
in this case, I have GSS34x. in the buckets.

thoughts?

this keeps jet pumps operational drawing from each others side of the tank, this keeps both buckets full, the blue flap still allows fuel into the bucket and close when accelerating.

Is anything needed for the feed line when Y'ing two pumps?
Attached Thumbnails Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)-20130121_185152.jpg   Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)-20130121_185255.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you plan on running both pumps at 100% D/C? Or, will the drivers side pump be switched? Got any more pics available?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

good question.

Both pumps will be running all the time.
I have dozens of pictures, anything specific you want to look at?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. seems to me like it will work. you could probably remove the float setup on the driver side pump. not really needed.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
I like it. seems to me like it will work. you could probably remove the float setup on the driver side pump. not really needed.
That wouldn't work...the system uses the average of both inputs to calculate how many gallons of fuel are in both sides of the tank.

I don't really see much to gain by running the second (drivers side) pump at 100% d/c other than preventing the possibility of a leak by back feeding through the idle pump, which could be done with a simple check valve.

VMAPPER - do you plan on upgrading the fuel line to a -8 or are you retaining the OE steel line to the engine compartment? I believe that you already have a rail mounted FPR and return line, correct? Can you lay out your plan and describe the complete system a little better?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gain running 2nd pump?

More of a concern to keep both sides of the saddle with even amounts of fuel.
Both pumps working, means both jet pumps pulling from each side. Both draw and both receive the return.
Having one pump not running may work, not sure. The system would act like stock, and having Y on the return would allow flow back to the drivers side, but how would this act when fuel levels are low. Is the drivers side emptied and passenger is favored? Is there sufficient flow returned to the drivers side to keep that bucket full? Perhaps.
Would there be a scenario of drivers side bucket full (from slowly being fed via return), pump is enabled, drains bucket, but nothing on that side as far as surrounding the bucket...is the jet pump and return sufficient to maintain a full bucket? Perhaps.

Both pumps on there is no question it should work. The other may too...
I thought about the heat issue, and Im not overly concerned at this time.

Pump Module
3/8 feed push on fitting EFI to -6.
Both feed lines go into equal length hose to AN Y fitting. -6/-6 to -8AN.
-8AN to -10 AN filter
-8AN to ORB passenger side rail.

end of rail at drivers side to -6 FPR - 6 back to AN Y fitting -6/-6 to -6AN
equal length to -6 to 5/16" EFI push on fittings on the return sides.

I plan on making a Visio chart or ppt of the fuel setup.

To answer your question: The stock OE fuel lines are gone.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update...
Oh and, if anyone cares, the depth of the tank on the passenger side is shallower (lip to bottom) than the drivers side. (~1/4"), they are not identical.

Since Gator, or anyone for that matter makes SAE 30R10 (FKM) submersible fuel line BUT NOT in 1/2" - thanks caddy for your one offs again. (only make 3/8 or 5/16. (and its expensive!) - i had quotes of 32 per foot. (and they ONLY come in 1ft lengths)
I managed to use the ends from the original hard tubes crossovers, then use 100% Fluoroelastomer - Viton 26 grade similar - 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 3.2mm Wall used in bio diesel which is similar 30R10 rating and you can buy in any length for a 1/3 the price.
Attached Thumbnails Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)-updates_fuelpumps.jpg   Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)-20130303_120511.jpg   Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)-20130304_191101.jpg  

Last edited by vmapper; 03-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I appreciate the updates. I don't have a lot to say on this subject right now, but will become much more active once I purchase and install the 416 CID LS3 and TVS2300.

Quick Reply: Gen I -Fueling Idea - will it work (shrug)