Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2014 ATS-V car and driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2014 ATS-V car and driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...d=1458_7245780
Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What engineer in his/her right mind would have quad exhausts with a V6? Seems more V8-like to me. Plus, 380-420 hp won't be enough, IMHO.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

I don't get why its even called quad exhaust. Its dual pipes into mufflers with dual tips apiece. A twin isn't a bad idea if its forged internals. Upping boost for it shouldn't be difficult.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rand49er
What engineer in his/her right mind would have quad exhausts with a V6? Seems more V8-like to me. Plus, 380-420 hp won't be enough, IMHO.
This is likely to be lighter, longer-winded, and just as well balanced--with more refinement all around--than the 04-07 CTS-V was. 400hp was a competition killer then, it will be now, especially since they're targeting the 3-series and not the 5.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
This is likely to be lighter, longer-winded, and just as well balanced--with more refinement all around--than the 04-07 CTS-V was. 400hp was a competition killer then, it will be now, especially since they're targeting the 3-series and not the 5.
M3 is still rated at 414hp NOW, newer model will be faster. 420hp isn't going to cut it, imo... but if its easily modifiable, its going to make up for it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have my hopes up for the LT1, heck the vette engineers looked at the TTV6 and determined that it did not make sense, there was no efficiency to gain and a lot of complexity... Glad to see it is moving along in development though will be good to see it unwrapped. Although I have a feeling I will be moving to the Chevy SS camp one day if they decide to offer a manual. I don't really care if my car says Caddy on it (and sure like the sticker price a lot better with the bow tie on it)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
JDB
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TT V6 would be awesome. Bigger turbos and tune... yum.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I still have my hopes up for the LT1, heck the vette engineers looked at the TTV6 and determined that it did not make sense, there was no efficiency to gain and a lot of complexity... Glad to see it is moving along in development though will be good to see it unwrapped. Although I have a feeling I will be moving to the Chevy SS camp one day if they decide to offer a manual. I don't really care if my car says Caddy on it (and sure like the sticker price a lot better with the bow tie on it)
I hope they do an lt1 also! That would be more on part with the new M3's
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed^
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Before i saw this thread i was having this conversation how the new ATS-V should have an LT1, if it goes to a V6 TT it will be cool but it just wont be american.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
Before i saw this thread i was having this conversation how the new ATS-V should have an LT1, if it goes to a V6 TT it will be cool but it just wont be american.
Why not? It is, as far as I am aware, a US-made v6, in an American-made car, by an American company. The Ecoboost is a TT v6 that has all the same traits. The GNX is a turbocharged v6 that will forever be recognized as an incredible piece of machinery in the annals of sports cars.

Just because the Japanese market used a v6 as their big HP pusher for a long time doesn't mean they forever lay claim to the use of six cylinders.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

ATS-v is expected to be 300-400 pounds lighter than a M3 I believe. Just keep that in mind.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
Why not? It is, as far as I am aware, a US-made v6, in an American-made car, by an American company. The Ecoboost is a TT v6 that has all the same traits. The GNX is a turbocharged v6 that will forever be recognized as an incredible piece of machinery in the annals of sports cars.

Just because the Japanese market used a v6 as their big HP pusher for a long time doesn't mean they forever lay claim to the use of six cylinders.
Ask the dealers that had them stuck on their lots when they wouldn't sell new... They get a lot more respect now.

America can build a good v6 sure, but there is something about a great sounding v8 that is uniquely American. I get so many compliments on the way my car sounds, it is a universal cool sound no mater what type of car you are into.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by odthetruth
... but if its easily modifiable, its going to make up for it.
I would respectively disagree.

I think they need to come off the factory floor in a clearly advantageous position and not rely on the few of us who will mod in order to get there. Having said that, if they do put the LT1 in and I end up being able to convince my wife I just have to have one, I'll be thinking TVS-xxxx just to make sure I have an advantage.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm with you. If I'm buying a brand new car, I dont want it already behind the 8-ball requiring me to bring it up to "par". Plus I'd be hesitant to do serious mods that are hard to reverse until it was out of warranty.

If they just put the LSA in that little thing it would crush, but then that would hurt cts-v sales unless they really take the v3 to a new level.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they need to come off the factory floor in a clearly advantageous position and not rely on the few of us who will mod in order to get there. Having said that, if they do put the LT1 in and I end up being able to convince my wife I just have to have one, I'll be thinking TVS-xxxx just to make sure I have an advantage.
Not so fast Randy.
Rumor is that the PCM in LT1 equipped vehicles will be locked and unbreakable.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Not so fast Randy.
Didn't they say that about the new dodge 392? And didn't it just get cracked?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
Ask the dealers that had them stuck on their lots when they wouldn't sell new... They get a lot more respect now.

America can build a good v6 sure, but there is something about a great sounding v8 that is uniquely American. I get so many compliments on the way my car sounds, it is a universal cool sound no mater what type of car you are into.

I wasn't around when the GNX was new, so I have no authoritative comment on that.... but don't get me wrong, I *love* V8's. I own a MR2 Spyder that gets double the fuel mileage, rwd, 2000lbs, 5spd, etc. and I never drive it... because a big, powerful US-conceived V8 is simply more fun to drive. I won't ever disagree on that point. I'm simply saying that it doesn't need to be a V8 to be all-American.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Not so fast Randy.
If true, that's just not right.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 AM
JDB
Launching!

Agreed. They need to play the leapfrog game to keep pushing ahead of each other. Don't forget that Audi S4 is in the mix with this fight and it's a 3.0 s/c.

Quick Reply: 2014 ATS-V car and driver