Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fix for Monster clutch engagement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for Monster clutch engagement ?

i was wondering if anybody had a fix for the monster stage 2 high rpm clutch engagement ?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u use a ls7 slave?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

or spacer?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
i was wondering if anybody had a fix for the monster stage 2 high rpm clutch engagement ?
Problems with high RPM engagement is not a shortcoming of your clutch--it's a shortcoming of your transmission. The wrong transmission fluid viscosity (ATF users, I'm looking at you!), or worn/insufficiently strong synchros (e.g. the old T56 double cone synchros) will prevent the transmission from synchronizing at high RPM because it cannot synchronize the input and output shafts.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the problem he is asking. Is it what fuzzy said, or is he asking about a different issue?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the monster stage 2 and have shifted at high rpms without issue. On occasion I get denied 5th if I'm high in the rpm range in 4th. Only have had that happen once or twice. I'd have to agree with fuzzy on this one.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From my research, there seems to be a few variables.. It is commonly suggested you bleed the system thoroughly to rid of any air pockets as a first step. Also did you replace your slave with the clutch, or re-use the old one?

Never heard of the trans fluid being a factor.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AJG87
Never heard of the trans fluid being a factor.
That's because most Internet experts don't realize that synchros require friction to work.

Synchronizers rely on the resistance provided by the fluid viscosity of your transmission oil (its resistance to deformation by shear/tensile stress) to match the speed of the input and output shafts. If you had magical oil that had zero viscosity (zero flow resistance), the synchronizers would not be able to affect input/output shaft speed at all.

Therefore, the type of oil that you put in your transmission has an enormous impact on the efficiency of your synchros and, consequently, your ability to shift under load. If you try to shift when the speed differential between the transmission input and output shafts is too high, the blocker rings won't engage and you won't get into gear, no matter how hard you jam on the shifter.

If you have the correct oil and still can't shift, then you should consider upgrading to triple cone synchros or a TR6060.

That said, all of the above is pointless if the clutch isn't disengaging, because that will increase the load on the synchros immeasurably. In that case, they would have to overcome the rotating inertia of the entire engine on the input shaft side of the transmission, instead of just the inertia of the clutch pressure plate and friction disc.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-24-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. Although that may be possible, it is still shockingly bold to claim that the transmission is to blame without verifying correct operation of the smaller components (slave, master, even clutch assembly) before claiming a new transmission/parts will solve this.

This topic arises very frequently, check out the "manual transmission" section of the site.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AJG87
Interesting. Although that may be possible, it is still shockingly bold to claim that the transmission is to blame without verifying correct operation of the smaller components (slave, master, even clutch assembly) before claiming a new transmission/parts will solve this.

This topic arises very frequently, check out the "manual transmission" section of the site.
If he was really having a problem with the clutch, he wouldn't have specifically reported problems getting into gear at high RPM. Clutch disengagement causes problems at all speeds. It doesn't get massively worse at high RPM.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=FuzzyLog1c;17344729]If he was really having a problem with the clutch, he wouldn't have specifically reported problems getting into gear at high RPM. Clutch disengagement causes problems at all speeds. It doesn't get massively worse at high RPM.[/QUOTE

i just dont see fluid as being the problem
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Fluid may be the problem overtime, but if he just installed the clutch and is just now having this problem...it is due to the shitty monster clutch. My stage 3 does not have a problem up high, but chatters like a mother for daily driving. So I assume the OP has another problem and should start with better bleeding of the slave.

Can't wait to put that RXT in.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in agreement with Fuzzy on this one...more than likely the transmission it self, versus the actual clutch.

I had a Monster Level 2 with 28 pound flywheel in my 2007 from April 2011 until I traded it in 2 months a go. I never had any of those problems. The only issue I had was the car not going into reverse with the engine running. This turned out to be a problem with the linkage getting messed up when SNL/Monster pulled the tranny, and to which they worked out out over the couple time I took it back. Outside of that, I never had any issues with changing gears in any RPM range. Clutch felt just like the stock, only revved up a lot quicker.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

the tranny had a fresh rebuild when the dealer did the install , i got the ls7 slave, i dont have trouble getting out of gear but i do getting into gear. Im assuming when they put the trans back together they used the GM stuff. about 7k on this clutch and still have a ton of chatter as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

I had an LS7 clutch and Fidanza 13 lbs flywheel and it was great until I installed the Maggie. After that I had issues with disengagement over 5500rpm. I installed a SPEC stage 3 LS7 on the same flywheel and after a month of perfect shifting it started acting up. It cost me so much for the clutch I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. It got so bad I couldn't shift over 4k rpm without issue.

The issue being, the pressure plate diaphragm simply would not compress. The pedal was very stiff but could be compressed to floor. Problem was it stayed there and the trans was stuck in gear until the rpms came down and the clutch was back off the floor by manually picking it up with my foot and pumping it up again. The master was bypassing internally when this happened and I replaced it thinking that would fix my issue. However, after 2 brand new masters, and another new slave with the GM LS7 and then finally the SPEC doing the same thing I determined it was the clutch itself locking out and the hydraulics just weren't up to the task of that much pressure.

These two clutch wrecked my transmissions syncros and blockers because of this. After I installed the Exedy hyper twin clutch, I never once had a disengagement issue. If you search around, a LOT of people have this issue with the SPEC clutch and a few people have had this issue with the Monster as well as the stock V clutch an the LS7 clutch (even being installed in the Corvette).

I know I have said it before and I'll say it again, you get what you pay for when you buy a clutch. If I ever get another V or anything with and LSx for that mater, its getting an Exedy twin disk in it. Thats how much of a differance it was. It was an unbelievable differance that clutch made compared to the others.

Anyway, hope you get yours figured out. High rpm shifting issues seem to be almost common place with LSx vehicles. Sad it plagues such an otherwise fantastic platform.

Last edited by raven154; 04-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Fix for Monster clutch engagement ?