Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
- Drilled out the end link mounting tabs on the "new" front control arms so I could install my end links.

- Used a hydraulic press and an air chisel to knock apart an old wheel bearing / hub assembly so I have just the hub to use as a guide for drilling out new brake rotors. Didn't really need the air chisel, but it made it easy to pop things off.

The back cover I just pried off with a screwdriver (working my way around the circumference). Once that's off you'll see the toothed ring for the ABS (top center). It's press fit onto the inner end of the hub, and was taken off with the air chisel. Next are the 2 half circle pieces that you can see at top right and in the middle - I don't know what one would call those, but they're what actually hold the hub in place inside the wheel bearing. They fit into a groove in the hub and ride on the inner race. Again, knocked those loose with the air chisel. Once those were out, the hub pressed right out. Top left is the outer dust shield, which was on the hub once the hub came out of the bearing assembly.

This particular hub assembly wore out and came off the car a number of years ago. The inner bearing still looks good - you can see the tan-colored grease on the bearing. Not shown is the outer bearing, which was toast - grease was all black.
Can't beat an OEM Jig ! Smart thinking.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally put some shoes on her!

Matte Gold F14s. Excuse the 4x4 look coilivers in near future LOL
Old 10-11-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the look, new wheels look great.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jcollege
Love the look, new wheels look great.

Thanks bro! It was a hard choice between matte gold and gun metal grey... in the end I'm happy with the gold!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my new badges from rebadge. Very bad ***!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your V today?-photo240.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo179.jpg   What did you do to your V today?-photo288.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Voluptuous-V
Thanks bro! It was a hard choice between matte gold and gun metal grey... in the end I'm happy with the gold!
No doubt! Now go and black out those grills and side markers!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can confirm. This was mine right after the F14 installation:

Eventually I wound up getting my surrounds painted black and clearcoated. Not sure whether that would look better with gold wheels. Btw, you can order smoked sidemarkers on eBay for $40. Be forwarned that you'll need super high power LEDs to compensate for how dark they are.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 10-12-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Can confirm. This was mine right after the F14 installation:

Eventually I wound up getting my surrounds painted black and clearcoated. Not sure whether that would look better with gold wheels. Btw, you can order smoked sidemarkers on eBay for $40. Be forwarned that you'll need super high power LEDs to compensate for how dark they are.
Which LED bulbs does the folks here use in sidemarkers for the brightest light please with pics, if available?!

Ronald
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Washed a couple weeks of grime off it, including plenty of rubber streaks from last weekend's event at Watkins Glen.

In the process of cleaning the wheels, discovered this little unwelcome surprise:

That particular wheel does have some rather nasty curb rash on the lip at the base of that pair of spokes. The rash happened a while ago (long enough that I don't even remember how), so it wasn't a direct cause, but perhaps that got things started some time ago? It's been a few weeks since I washed the car, so I'm fairly certain the crack has to have finally become visible in that time - I definitely would've seen it while I was washing the wheels on previous occasions. And it may have even happened this week, because I had these wheels on/off the car a couple times for the event up at Watkins Glen, and I might have noticed the crack at that point. I even ran these for the first session on the first day; I wasn't pushing too hard, but maybe that 20min of stress was enough to push an existing flaw over the edge?

Of course I just mounted new tires on these wheels a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

And which wheels are these
Old 10-22-2016, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ewwww time for a new wheel
Old 10-22-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by actrite80
Linea Corse Venetos. I've only seen one other report of issues with these wheels, and that was 5 years ago and a completely different type of cracking (along the inner lip rather than on one of the spokes) - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...to-wheels.html.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 10-22-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by actrite80
LC Venetos.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a shame. Those are some of the nicer looking wheels.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Linea Corse Venetos. I've only seen one other report of issues with these wheels, and that was 5 years ago and a completely different type of cracking (along the inner lip rather than on one of the spokes) - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...to-wheels.html.
Good catch, but sucks nonetheless. Do you normally run those wheels at the track? or do you put most of your track days on the TeamDynamics ones?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

You think even black surrounds too??! It's been hard with the gold wheels. Idk which direction to go. I like Fuzzys pic with black grill but chrome surround. Not sure how'd it look with gold wheels tho
Old 10-26-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Me personally I would black it all out, just not a fan of the chrome.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the oil and filter today with Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 and Mobil 1 filter. I also rotated the tires while I was at it. I am sending an oil sample off to get tested at BlackStone.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Me personally I would black it all out, just not a fan of the chrome.
Thanks for the input! I'm gonna have to give it a whirl! I knew I had to do something with the grilles just didn't know whatttt. Can't do em gold, don't wanna look like Trinidad James! LOL
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by barrok69
Good catch, but sucks nonetheless. Do you normally run those wheels at the track? or do you put most of your track days on the TeamDynamics ones?
Fairly certain that's the first time I've run them on track. First session was cold (40ish) and I hadn't been to the Glen in 15 years, so I went out on the street tires for just that session.

(First session on day 2 was about the same temp, but I went out on the R-comps. I think the car felt better on the R-comps than it did on the summer tires; I know those sorts of temps aren't ideal for either set of tires, but I would've thought the street tires would handle it a little better. The fact that the summers were brand new - only about 300mi on them - I'm sure didn't help.)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?