Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clunk/knock/thud noise when driving over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk/knock/thud noise when driving over bumps

My 05 V seems to be making a clunking, knocking or thud type of noise from the rear when I drive over bumps. Even on small bumps it makes the noise, but on large bumps almost sounds like it bottoms out in the rear & makes a loud thud noise. It also kinda seems like when I hit certain types of bumps or ruts, the rear will shimmy or slightly skate out to the left or right similar to a bumpsteer issue on a lowered car. I don't know if I'm being too critical, but the ride quality just doesn't seem as smooth anymore to me as it used to, but I will say that when I'm not driving the V, I drive a bone stock lexus GS300 that rides very smooth, so I might just be overly critical. Before the V I DD'd a lowered 03 Mach 1, which rode like trash compared to the V which rides like a dream in comparison LOL...

Anyhow, the V is lowered on Eibach's & QA1 adjustable struts & shocks, not sure of the mileage on them, but they were on the car when I purchased it at 50k miles & it now has 69k miles. They don't seem to be blown out, & are adjusted at about the half way mark.

This sound like a familiar issue? any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EPIK; 01-11-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like something is loose

start checking around...
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. I gotta get it up in the air. Does this sound like a problem that could be due to blown diff or cradle bushings?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

^^^^ What you said, Diff bushing is where I'd be looking
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sway bar bushings
Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I could've sworn the car had some sort of aftermarket diff bushings in it which I noticed when having my clutch installed, I thought they were poly or something, but not 100%.

Thanks guys, I will jack the car up tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it's possible it's poly, it'll be easy to check, you just gotta look up there and see if it's red.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

The bushing definitely wasn't red in color from what I remember from the last time I was under the car. But I thought the previous owner did some rear end bushing mods, I could be wrong though.

I will try to get it up in the air today, after this Niners game

If it is the diff bushing, how hard of an install is that?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Piece-O-Cake, check our website. We rent a tool that make the R&R a breeze.
Once you're under the car take a picture, we will be able to tell it it's OEM or aftermarket. If it's one of our early bushings (3 years ago?) we will warrantee it. We haven't had a bushing go bad in years so it's either really old, an OEM unit or not where the noise is coming from.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
Piece-O-Cake, check our website. We rent a tool that make the R&R a breeze.
Once you're under the car take a picture, we will be able to tell it it's OEM or aftermarket. If it's one of our early bushings (3 years ago?) we will warrantee it. We haven't had a bushing go bad in years so it's either really old, an OEM unit or not where the noise is coming from.
Thanks for the reply. I actually dug up an old thread by the original owner & it stated he installed diff & cradle bushings, just not too sure what brand, but I am certain I have CS motor mounts on my car installed by him as well.

I am gonna try to crawl under the car here shortly & get pics. I know for a fact the bushings are at least 3.5 years old because I bought the car roughly 3 years ago.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Ok so it was pretty hard to get under the car with my crappy jack, so I drove it up on some wood blocks & got the best pics I could. The diff bushing definitely has a crack in it. Does this appear to be a CS bushing, looks stock-ish to me, but not sure? I will try to get it up on a lift for better pics this week.

I do know that I have good motor mounts though at least 😎

Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Now that I look closer at the last pic of my bushing, & the diff bushing on the Creative Steel website, I'm fairly certain mine is a CS bushing because if you look closely, you can see the printed number sticking out a bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

You are partially right....I think? The motor mounts are a set of our EARLY mounts, and look to be a set of gray mounts ta boot. Even though they look to still be working we would like you to switch them out to style of mount that we switched to 2.5 - 3 years ago. Better design of steel internal structure and better urethane than the ones before 3 years ago.
The rear diff bushing on the other hand is a stock OEM unit. Not ours.
If you want to buy one of our bushings and rent the tool I can send the new motor mounts (and heat shields) in the same box.

Give me a call at the number below, we can work out the details. You decide when the best time to the work will be and we will ship the parts and tool to show just prior to.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good. Bummer about the diff bushing, but that is awesome that you guys stand behind your product like that! I will definitely take you up on that offer & will give you a call to setup an order once my funds permit!

Thank you!

Last edited by EPIK; 01-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new style cs mounts are great. customer service is second to none as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Not to hijack this thread but...

I have a clunk too, but usually when I coast after acceleration. Changed the motor mounts, and installed a trans insert still have the clunk.

Assumed that it was the diff bushing. Went to replace it and it appears to be in good shape. It also didn't look like the OEM bushing that I saw in a few pics from CF.

Can anyone identify this bushing? I didn't end up replacing it since it looked in good shape. Still have the clunk though
Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 90G60
Not to hijack this thread but...

I have a clunk too, but usually when I coast after acceleration. Changed the motor mounts, and installed a trans insert still have the clunk.

Assumed that it was the diff bushing. Went to replace it and it appears to be in good shape. It also didn't look like the OEM bushing that I saw in a few pics from CF.

Can anyone identify this bushing? I didn't end up replacing it since it looked in good shape. Still have the clunk though

CS bushing..
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EdmundGTP
CS bushing..
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Clunk/knock/thud noise when driving over bumps