Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement

So I think my fuel pump is on it's way out. Looking to upgrade while I'm in there.

What are my options for a direct replacement? Would the Deatschwerks DW200 fit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Bump! Anyone do this on their V yet? Also, I'll likely be buying the racetronix harness upgrade as well while I'm in there.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

You're probably fine with what you mentioned above depending on power level and goals. I went with the Racetronix kit (Walboro 255 and Hotwire). Direct replacement and was around $190 total. Supplies my 500+whp V with plenty fuel.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Launching!

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I think the DW200 is physically the same size as a walbro 255, so I should be OK. I'm going to do the DW200 and the racetronix harness kit. No reason not to do both while I'm in there. Is it difficult to install the pump itself in the OEM assembly?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Went ahead and ordered both the harness and the DW200. Hopefully I'll be able to get it all installed this weekend before I fly out for D.C. next week for work.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Grab some pictures while you're in there for sure if you can
Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Fuel pump arrived today. I'll try to get some pictures up later. The harness won't be in until next week, which means I won't get to install it for a while.

DW was very helpful throughout the process. I went ahead and ordered the universal fit kit with the DW200 and I followed up with an email. The tech guy actually went and pulled my order before shipping and threw in some additional hose and pieces he thought would make it easier to install for the CTS-V at no extra charge.

Can't beat that.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

That's great service. Hold on to his email address, I may use them for my pump upgrade depending on how your install goes.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Launching!

So I have this pump set up now:

Still waiting on the Racetronix harness.

I went ahead and cut the access panel tonight.

Got a little closer... Take a look here:

Yeah, melted through at the electrical connection. What are my options guys? Am I going to have to buy a whole new pump assembly? Is there anything I can use to patch it? I'd rather not have to spend $250+ on a new assembly just to have to rip it apart and swap in my DW pump.

On a side note, I realize this is exactly what happened to the guy in the other thread (albeit to a lesser extent), but he was running a BAP increasing the voltage for over 10k miles. This is a 100% stock fuel system on this car with only 88k miles. Does anyone else think it's a little scary that this could happen to you?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Anyone know where I can source the connector with pigtails? All I've been able to find is the connector itself from Racetronix and I don't want to spend $16 on shipping for an $8 part.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Went ahead and found a used pump assembly on eBay for cheap that I bought. Since I'm replacing the pump anyway, it's not a big deal to me how many miles it has on it. Also sourced the connector, so I should be set on the repair.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that a bunch of sand on the cover?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Dust. My guess is the previous owner was fond of gravel roads.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Launching!

So I finished up the install yesterday.

Simple as can be. Pulled out the bucket and swapped in the DW200. DW said they thought I might need to modify the mounts, but it was literally a drop in. The only modification I had to do was to dremel out the front of the bucket slightly to clearance the rubber hose off the output of the pump. I only snapped a couple pictures as I was in a time crunch to get it done.

You can see the mounting brackets worked perfectly.

I couldn't get a hose clamp on the opposite side of the hose as there was no room where it went, but it was a SNUG fit, so I'm not worried about it.

The harness was a major PITA to install without dropping the tank or removing the alternator. But I got it done. No pictures of that. I was too dirty and angry getting that sucker installed.

Overall, I'm pleased with it thus far. A couple key cycles to get it primed and it fired right up. No noticeable noise while driving, but the priming is loud enough to hear, unlike my factory pump. I like that.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, i've never seen the Cadi one. I did my T/A a few weeks ago Racetronix with live wire harness. It freaked me out when I saw live electrical connections on the pump were submerged in gasoline - I'm thinking holy crap this thing is going to blow up! lol
Old 03-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Launching!

So I tested my fuel pressure today. 40psi after primed and while idling. Any idea why it would be low? It holds at that pressure. What should I check first? Would it be due to the wiring harness, or the pump, or regulator, or what?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How exactly did you install the fuel line from the pump? Did you connect the nylon line to the fuel pump via rubber line? Rubber fuel line is a huge no-no in the tank...especially at 4 BAR which is what GM fuel systems operate at.

The trick to the plastic fuel line is to boil a small pot of water and submerge the end of the line in the boiling water until it is pliable. Quickly assemble using hose pliers as the nylon will quickly cool and this is a one shot deal.

I don't know if the rubber/nylon mess you have is your issue, I would suspect a regulator and possibly the jet pump leaking.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Launching!

The line was assembled like that directly from DW. So I assume that's not the issue.

Update, I've ruled out the harness. I checked it without the harness attached at all and it was only 35psi. I really don't want to have to pull the assembly back out. But I'm guessing I'll have to.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
The line was assembled like that directly from DW. So I assume that's not the issue.

Update, I've ruled out the harness. I checked it without the harness attached at all and it was only 35psi. I really don't want to have to pull the assembly back out. But I'm guessing I'll have to.
Gotcha on the line...I see the crimp clamps now that I look again. Have you replaced the fuel filter as well? With a new pump, the only thing I can think of is a plugged fuel filter, a bad regulator, and a leak internal to the module.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Launching!

I'm going to swap out the fuel filter next. I did the filter about 5k miles ago, but my thought is that maybe some grime from the swap made its way into the filter. I'm thinking it's not the regulator since it holds the pressure and a major symptom of the regulator going bad is not holding pressure.

The filter is a cheap/easy option to try at this point.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement