Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CF Drama/Vendor Drama.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CF Drama/Vendor Drama.....

Well it's made itself around that a lot of stuff was carried over here from the cadillac forums involving Brian and a few other members. I want to clear the air and put down some guidelines so we can get back to the reason we all come to these sites.

From now on please don't incite an inter-forum argument. We appreciate all the members that come in here and the more threads/posts I see the better. The true tech side and seeing members helping each other out is the reason this community is the way it is.

We have guidelines in place for vendors and the need to become a paying sponsor. I'll be the first to admit that Brian as well as 54inches fall into a grey area with Brian even moreso. I kind of let Brian play out his shifters and we eventually had a mutual discussion involving sponsorship in which he was following up on. 54inches and I also had a mutual discussion and agreed he couldn't sell here unless he became a sponsor in which he politely declined. He is selling items that are direct competitors to other paying members.

It's not my forum to dictate the rules but to try and keep everything civil and flowing well. I let a lot of stuff slide so members can work things out themselves and I think it shows. This section generally runs smooth but their are times that I have to step in.

In closing, I want to see this section grow and continue to provide useful solutions and answers to many peoples issues as well as new members. Lets keep things on track and keep the forum wars and vendor opinions to yourselves as far as who should be able to sell stuff etc. If anyone has ANY question please PM me and I'll be glad to talk about it.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a vendor here that sells subframe connectors for a cts-v?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one time, there were some pics of a V2 setup floating around but it was unclear if they were actually available from the aftermarket. I have not seen anyone selling V1 subframe connectors or strut tower braces...anyone else?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Most chassis companies will make connectors for whatever you want. They are generally the same from car to car. That said, the "subframe connectors" that 54 made are not subframe connectors as such. They only attach the rear subframe to the unibody. A true subframe connector will connect the front and rear subframe without needing to connect to the unibody... They do connect to the body structure but you get the idea. They really are supposed to tie together the front and rear, like sway bars and tower braces and stuff tie together left and right.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I don't know of a forum war starting, just that light has been shined on the difference in moderators. The way the mods on CF handled the situation is a bit silly. I know rules are rules, but this thread in itself speaks for this forum and it's mods. By simply clearing the air and laying it out, speaks to the professionalism here more, then there.

Edit:Still no mod reaction thread on CF. Just sayin.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 04-01-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't really see all the drama leading up to the current situation, but I appreciate itsslow98 mentioning that he's (she's?) had conversations with Brian and the "grey" area he falls into and how not paying a vendor fee yet offering a product that competes with paying vendors' products can put mods in an awkward position. I've met Brian personally a few times ... great guy and without a doubt a real loss to the other forum. Never met Fuzzy, but likewise a real loss to CF. As for me, I'm gonna pop by here more often just to see how these guys are doing.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Not that I have seen but I cant let members pick and chose items to sell based on what other vendors have. As much as I really like seeing new products for the first gen V this is just how it has to be. I have given Brian an option that will hopefully work out, its very possible that other members can do the same if they wish. I will speak to them privatlely about that though.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Most chassis companies will make connectors for whatever you want. They are generally the same from car to car. That said, the "subframe connectors" that 54 made are not subframe connectors as such. They only attach the rear subframe to the unibody. A true subframe connector will connect the front and rear subframe without needing to connect to the unibody... They do connect to the body structure but you get the idea. They really are supposed to tie together the front and rear, like sway bars and tower braces and stuff tie together left and right.
Ours connect the front to the rear.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Not that I have seen but I cant let members pick and chose items to sell based on what other vendors have. As much as I really like seeing new products for the first gen V this is just how it has to be. I have given Brian an option that will hopefully work out, its very possible that other members can do the same if they wish. I will speak to them privatlely about that though.
I would be interested in this option.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woooooooooo Hooooooo Motown on board!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches

Ours connect the front to the rear.
The only pictures I have seen of yours on Facebook and elsewhere have shown the back subframe connect to the back of the unibody. Whereas the ones I have done in the past on weak *** fox bodies, basically you create a frame that connects the front subframe to the rear subframe... Motor to axle is basically one piece.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ours connects the front frame to the rear subframe; hence being called a subframe connector.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ours connects the front frame to the rear subframe; hence being called a subframe connector.
Maybe I haven't seen any recent pictures then.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, the pictures are the same.

A 2nd/3rd/4th generation camaro is a unibody and has a front and rear subframe that are about 3 feet apart and are connected with subframe connectors.

Our cars are built different; there is actually a frame rail built into the unibody of the undercarriage and it runs 3/4 the length of the car:

We connect the subframe to the frame rail.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, the pictures are the same.

A 2nd/3rd/4th generation camaro is a unibody and has a front and rear subframe that are about 3 feet apart and are connected with subframe connectors.

Our cars are built different; there is actually a frame rail built into the unibody of the undercarriage and it runs 3/4 the length of the car:

We connect the subframe to the frame rail.
Right, I'm aware of how our frame works and I would hesitate to call that a "frame rail" as such. It really is just a stamped piece of steel that is basically stuck to the unibody. I don't need a picture to illustrate since I have spent days under there installing items of need. I was just saying that the pictures you posted on Facebook and here before, were really of a system similar to the BMR stuff and not a real subframe connector as such. It just bolts the rear subframe to the rear of the Unibody. Which isnt going to do much. Might as well just put solid bushings in. Its like tying the left and right sides together with a sway bar or a tower brace. But you are doing it front to back. And yours only goes like 1/4 of the distance. I'm just saying, anyone that has put sub connectors in would look at those and be like... Where are the rest of the connectors?

I haven't seen the front connector either. Are you making one? Or are you staying with the rear only connector to reduce hop?

But good luck to you however you sell em. I mean they seem to limit wheel hop which is a god send in these cars. I'm just being a dick arguing verbiage really... To call them subframe connectors or not.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 04-02-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

1. It stopped my wheel hop.
2. I have never seen a sub-frame connector longer than 4'.
3. There is no need for a front connector as the frame rail on the unibody and it's corresponding cross bracing are plenty strong.
a. If it did not, we would all see some tearing at the top of the door frames.
4. We are adding at least one lateral mounting point, that I have mentioned before.
5. It stopped my wheel hop.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't spent much time under my V so I was unaware that the front subframe mounts were so far forward. It would be challenging to tie both the front and rear subframes solidly together in this scenario so we may need to depend on the "stamped frame" components to do all of our strengthening.

54, looks like the setup you already have is about the easiest, most affordable way to go. Still don't know if we should expect clearance issues with the CS trailing arms...

And I'm fine with you calling them "subframe connectors"

Thanks for chiming in.....
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you familiar with a KARS kit?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Enlighten us.....
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall the KARS kit (KARS III?) was/is an anti-wheelhop kit from BMR (not sure if it's actively made anymore).

1) It didn't connect to the rails on the unibody at all like 54's does. It did connect to the rear cradle mounts.
2) I also believe it had a mount on the front of the diff which I don't believe 54's does.

My point is KARS was different and I'm not sure it's made anymore. Not sure what motox's point is other than trying to poo on 54's possible helpful wheelhop/frame stiffening solution and say a competitor makes a similar product. If the mods think he is in violation then let them decide instead of stirring the pot please. Some of us might be interested in getting something that actually stops wheel hop.

Quick Reply: CF Drama/Vendor Drama.....