Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lower steering shaft removal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Lower steering shaft removal help

I need to replace the lower half of the steering shaft, I have removed the shaft from the steering rack, but can not get it separated from the sleeve for the life of me. Anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I remember the piece is just like an air compressor hose and connecter in regards to connecting and disconnecting it. it's been years but I remember being on my back for hours with the driver seat declined fully... take a pick for me so I can remember.. Btw, I remember also rigging a speaker gauge wire to hold the piece in place while did it but I don't remember if it was during disconnect or reconnect..
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty simple. Two bolts.. One at the rack and one at the half shaft (that most have to dent for header clearance. It's collapse able so start at the mid shaft bolt and get that out then knock it down and off the upper half shaft. Then unbolt the bottom at the rack and snake it out.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to fully remove the bolt, there is a notch that the bolt holds onto. You will need to remove the upper bolt and slide the sleeve upwards to give you the space to properly remove the lower half from the steerin rack..

You will have cramps in your hands from doin so
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man this thing is a pain in the ***! Removed the upper and lower bolts on the shaft and removed the shaft from the steering rack, but the sleeve does not want to move at all.

Quick Reply: Lower steering shaft removal help