Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

PSA: Check those Coleman Rotors!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: Check those Coleman Rotors!

Guys for those of you running the 2 piece Coleman rotors with AFX hats please pull them off and inspect them very carefully.
As some may know I have a set that showed a crack at the bobbin. Upon removal today there are actually several "vanes" on the inside that are coming apart as well (almost as if the rotor is separating).
I'm at the track and won't upload pics until later.

Be safe...
Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

So its safe to say 2 piece rotors just don't work on our cars
Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Apparently the Coleman's cannot handle the weight of the V.
Giro Disc also makes them and so far there hasn't been an issue. That's what's going on now...
Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad there was no on-track failure this time around. Time to buy a lottery ticket!

Originally Posted by serik21
So its safe to say 2 piece rotors just don't work on our cars
Its safe to say two piece rotors don't like Junior. That reminds me of a question I saw on a college entrance exam once...
two-piece rotors : Junior :: drive axles : 07CTS-V
Old 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

*L* so I've got fairly new 2 pc 370mm racingbrake rotors AND 2 pc 355mm coleman rotors sitting in the garage that I don't trust. I'm now back to running my girodiscs (355mm, not 370mm). I talked to them (girodisc) the other day to see if they have 370mm rings and they don't - they only make 355 and 380mm rings. They did say they'd do custom runs in batches of 10 or more pairs. heck, that's only like 7 grand in rings

The thing that makes me feel somewhat confident in girodisc is that they have slightly oval holes where the rings bolt to the hats - allowing for some expansion instead of cracking. AP Racing rotors are designed like this too...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Junior, didn't you post a while ago on some other brakes breaking in the same fashion? Are you stopping from like mach7 or something sheesh. Lol.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Junior, didn't you post a while ago on some other brakes breaking in the same fashion? Are you stopping from like mach7 or something sheesh. Lol.
No these are those same rotors. I just got around to swapping them out. Just saying that the first crack wasn't the only issue with these.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jclayc
*L* so I've got fairly new 2 pc 370mm racingbrake rotors AND 2 pc 355mm coleman rotors sitting in the garage that I don't trust. I'm now back to running my girodiscs (355mm, not 370mm). I talked to them (girodisc) the other day to see if they have 370mm rings and they don't - they only make 355 and 380mm rings. They did say they'd do custom runs in batches of 10 or more pairs. heck, that's only like 7 grand in rings

The thing that makes me feel somewhat confident in girodisc is that they have slightly oval holes where the rings bolt to the hats - allowing for some expansion instead of cracking. AP Racing rotors are designed like this too...
Group buy? I still need to pickup rotors for my V2 caliper setup... I have the UUC 2-piece rotors which are girodisc correct? It would be great if I could retain my current hats and just replace the disks. They're getting all cracked and due for replacement anyway.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, Luke can get you the rings and hardware from Giro. I'm in for a buy if it happens.
Good thing is the Coleman's and Giro's both weigh the same at 20lbs.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Junior-1

No these are those same rotors. I just got around to swapping them out. Just saying that the first crack wasn't the only issue with these.
Ohhh... I gotcha. I thought you might be the new pissinuoff Lol... He hasn't broken anything in a while. Had to pass the torch.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been doing some searching around to try to figure out a 2-piece rotor option for the 370mm V2/V1 setup. I found that AP Racing makes a 365x34mm 2-piece rotor for the Audi RS4 (B7 chassis) and RS6 (C5 chassis) from the early to mid 2000s. Stoptech also makes a 2-piece setup for those cars. That size compares quite nicely with the 370x34mm rotor that I've got - might end up with a slight pad overhang, but not enough to worry about. So maybe we could get proper hats to use either of those rings with the V2 calipers?

Girodisc offers a rotor for the RS4/RS6, and I was hoping that would make for a quick solution, as they also make a 2-piece rotor setup for the 1st gen CTS-V in the stock 355mm size. I was hoping they would just be able to take the CTS-V hat and put it on the RS4 ring, but alas their RS4 setup is a bigger 380x34mm setup, so that won't work. (Interestingly enough, they don't mention any modifications being needed to run the bigger rotor on the RS4. Just seems strange that you would be able to fit a 15mm larger rotor under the same caliper. Although I guess if they're radial mount calipers it may be a matter of using spacers on the radial mounting studs. Anyway...)

Alcon also has some rotors that are in the right ballpark - a couple of 365x32mm options and a 372.75x32mm option. (Based on measuring rotor to caliper clearance, I think 375mm would be about as big as one could go with the V2 calipers.) Obviously each of those options is 2mm thinner, but I don't imagine that would be an issue since Alcon makes top-notch ****.

I actually went so far as to order an OEM replacement RS6 rotor so I could take some measurements to compare to the V2 rotors. $370-sumthin' bucks from rockauto.com - I took all the measurements and need to send it back now. Pretty nice piece of kit. I'm away from home right now, so I don't have the measurements handy, but the rotor/hat offset is different (about 3mm). In other words, it wouldn't be as simple as asking Stoptech or APRacing if they could make us a copy of the RS6 rotor and just drill the hats for 6x115mm rather than 5x(whatever).

I also picked up a pair of the GM/Brembo rotors from rockauto - around $550 for the pair, shipped, which is pretty ridiculous. I'm going to talk to the machine shop near me about drilling the 6-bolt pattern (since barrock69 demonstrated that it's possible to do a much cleaner job if you have the right tools). I'm also going to ask them how much it would cost to turn down the hub pilot on a couple hubs; that way new rotors would only need to have the bolt pattern drilled.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

As promised here are some pics...

Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

good read so far
Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I actually went so far as to order an OEM replacement RS6 rotor so I could take some measurements to compare to the V2 rotors.
A bit off topic, but just for the sake of sharing, here's the Audi rotor. The rotor ring has 56 vanes.

Note that this is an aftermarket rotor - Centric part #12833082 - but you can obviously see that the center is an Audi part. They're pin drive co-cast rotors (similar style as the V2's 1-piece rotors but different execution), so I would be kind of surprised if Centric is manufacturing them in-house. Then again, they're a pretty big company in the brake world, so maybe they do. Or maybe they get them from Audi's supplier, whoever that may be? I just thought it was curious the aftermarket part had very clear OEM markings on it.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Happy to say the Giro's held up very good for the weekend at T-Bolt.
I must say though, the 5 lug conversion is looking more and more attractive to me...
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Happy to say the Giro's held up very good for the weekend at T-Bolt.
I must say though, the 5 lug conversion is looking more and more attractive to me...
I'm impressed you out of all people have not done it yet!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
A bit off topic, but just for the sake of sharing, here's the Audi rotor. The rotor ring has 56 vanes.

Note that this is an aftermarket rotor - Centric part #12833082 - but you can obviously see that the center is an Audi part. They're pin drive co-cast rotors (similar style as the V2's 1-piece rotors but different execution), so I would be kind of surprised if Centric is manufacturing them in-house. Then again, they're a pretty big company in the brake world, so maybe they do. Or maybe they get them from Audi's supplier, whoever that may be? I just thought it was curious the aftermarket part had very clear OEM markings on it.
So the million dollar question is if they are able to do the same with the 6lug center section? I see that they already do a dual 5 bolt deal for the two different 5 lug styles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSA: Check those Coleman Rotors!