Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Flywheel vibes - track it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flywheel vibes - track it or not?

Hey all - got an email from Trackmasters: Thunderhill on Saturday for $130.

My last trip to TH ended on the back of a truck, balancer bolt backed off.

Have since replaced it with an ATI... noticed the 1400-2200 DM FW vibration upon paranoid reassembly. Went so far as to remove the damper and check the crank for runout (it's fine). LS7 FW is on my to-do list (somewhere).

Question: Is it safe to run on the track (I'm a corner guy, not a top speed/hi rev fella)?

I don't want to wind up breaking it with a bad FW though.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
Hey all - got an email from Trackmasters: Thunderhill on Saturday for $130.

My last trip to TH ended on the back of a truck, balancer bolt backed off.

Have since replaced it with an ATI... noticed the 1400-2200 DM FW vibration upon paranoid reassembly. Went so far as to remove the damper and check the crank for runout (it's fine). LS7 FW is on my to-do list (somewhere).

Question: Is it safe to run on the track (I'm a corner guy, not a top speed/hi rev fella)?

I don't want to wind up breaking it with a bad FW though.
I don't think it should be an issue. But you should just wait, buy an Ls7 clutch setup and go to the July 11 trackday at Thunderhill with NCRC. They will be running the new 5 mile long track. http://www.ncracing.org/events.php
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Wow, that looks like a blast, and a good price to boot. How's that organization as far as safety, track management, etc? Ran with NASA once and do not want to repeat that.

Took another look at the car last night and I don't think my front tires would last the day, especially with temps in the 90s. Better safe that sorry. Plus I don't get another 150mi AAA tow until July.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
Wow, that looks like a blast, and a good price to boot. How's that organization as far as safety, track management, etc? Ran with NASA once and do not want to repeat that.

Took another look at the car last night and I don't think my front tires would last the day, especially with temps in the 90s. Better safe that sorry. Plus I don't get another 150mi AAA tow until July.
NCRC is one of the best groups i've run with as far as safety and organization goes. They are not afraid to take people off the track for the day is they are driving dangerously
Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of people report having vibes around that RPM area. Most blame the clutch. It must be the resonance of the car or something.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Alot of people report having vibes around that RPM area. Most blame the clutch. It must be the resonance of the car or something.
in my experience it was the dual mass fw deteriorating and becoming unbalanced. Put an LS7 setup in (didn't have it balanced) and the vibes are completely gone. Original FW looked like an absolute POS once removed. haha
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check motor and trany mount>>>>>>>>.and push as haed as possible up and down on the dirveshaft mainly where the mount is...or check the tires. good luck
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

engine mounts appear good, brake torqued with no visible movement.
trans mount has an insert.
DS bearing was okay.
TPMS reports all good in the hood.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
in my experience it was the dual mass fw deteriorating and becoming unbalanced. Put an LS7 setup in (didn't have it balanced) and the vibes are completely gone. Original FW looked like an absolute POS once removed. haha
I've heard of complaining of the vibes in the 2200 rpm range with the LS7 clutch as well.

The dual mass turd doesn't help anything though that's fo sho.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Appreciate the insight, gents - not really in a hurry to take it apart if I can keep driving it for a while. I was paranoid after losing the balancer (and oil and coolant, oops) on track. It may be that the vibe was there initially and I just didn't notice because, you know, OMG V8 bro.

Quick Reply: Flywheel vibes - track it or not?