Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Picked up my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my car

I had all the mounts, cradle bushings driveshaft, axles and a tune done. Good news no wheel hop. I also got the driveline vibration I was expecting from the mounts/bushings. I ended up taking it back because the driveshaft vibrates over 80mph. That pissed me off. Hopefully it's done quick.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steves ls6
I had all the mounts, cradle bushings driveshaft, axles and a tune done. Good news no wheel hop. I also got the driveline vibration I was expecting from the mounts/bushings. I ended up taking it back because the driveshaft vibrates over 80mph. That pissed me off. Hopefully it's done quick.
My current driveshaft vibrates at highway speeds after a clutch install. I'm assuming it's just a clocking issue. I sent my original in for a new carrier bearing and it has the factory paint mark on it so I'll be able to put it back in the same position before.

How bad do you consider your driveline vibration? What hardness urethane? I did full bushings and mounts and if anything, feel the car is smoother.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

I used the Creative Steel mounts, Rev Shift blue cradle bushings. I feel a vibration pretty much in the whole car and the differential seems to be whining louder too. What ever it is I'm sure it will be figured out. I discussed it with a friend the had the guibo (sp?) Replaced on his CTS and he said it might be that because he had a bad vibration too. I'm just happy there is no wheel hop. Funny thing is my buddy was driving my 2.0t auto ATS and we both launched at 2200 rpm and the nose of my V was even with the back bumper till I hit 3rd then I pulled away. I hope that it was because I wasn't getting traction.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's kind of embarrasing but the ATS is quick to 60
Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MN_V
that's kind of embarrasing but the ATS is quick to 60
Embarrasing? yes. Unexpected? Yes. Good thing is it was my car. At least its quicker than i thought. Let's just call it user error. The other thing is I never launched the V that hard.i would let it roll a little and then punch it. Haven't lost a race once closest I have come to that was a 300 SRT and he had to shut down as soon as I hit 3rd and was reeling him in.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the cs mount raised my transmission almost 3/8 of an inch over my extremely sagged out factory piece. to help combat vibrations, i measured the installed height of the transmission before and after the mount install and shimmed the crossmember to achieve the same installed height the car had before installing the new mount.

my carrier bearing is sagged out pretty hard and raising the transmission is bound to **** it off. we'll see soon enough.....
Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1247
the cs mount raised my transmission almost 3/8 of an inch over my extremely sagged out factory piece. to help combat vibrations, i measured the installed height of the transmission before and after the mount install and shimmed the crossmember to achieve the same installed height the car had before installing the new mount.

my carrier bearing is sagged out pretty hard and raising the transmission is bound to **** it off. we'll see soon enough.....
Some vibration is expected when going to urethane from rubber but I don't think my problem is the mounts.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steves ls6
Some vibration is expected when going to urethane from rubber but I don't think my problem is the mounts.
What does your mechanic think it is? As my own mechanic, I think it's all the new mounts aggravating my old driveshaft bearing mount.

I took a little time to realign the driveshaft back to where it was before I swapped mounts and it seems fairly happy. Slight vibration but no worse than it was before.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that these drive shafts are picky on indexing.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Took the old drive shaft back to see if that's the issue. If not then he thinks its the axles.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Becker
I've heard that these drive shafts are picky on indexing.
the only reason i can think of to reindex the driveshaft is that it was balanced it in the car from the factory. if they did that, you wouldn't be able to put a driveshaft from another car in your car which means a core program for the following ain't happenin....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-bearing.html

i doubt its the axles...the driveshaft being much longer makes it the most prime target but whatever it is, i need to figure it out cause mine does it some too.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The driveshafts aren't balanced in the cars. They come pre-balanced from a sub-supplier and a line worker picks the proper length shaft and lays it on a decking tray and fastens the bolts to the sub-assembly. The paint mark is a torque audit check verifying that the joint was actually torqued from the factory. A special note, you should always replace driveshaft bolts as they are generally torque to yield, one time use.

I'm not sure if the factory DS/guibo combo has a preferred location with an indicator or arrow on it for indexing to the trans or diff side, but indexing will change the frequency of vibration and possibly eliminate it depending what is generating the vibration in the first place.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
The driveshafts aren't balanced in the cars. They come pre-balanced from a sub-supplier and a line worker picks the proper length shaft and lays it on a decking tray and fastens the bolts to the sub-assembly. The paint mark is a torque audit check verifying that the joint was actually torqued from the factory. A special note, you should always replace driveshaft bolts as they are generally torque to yield, one time use.

I'm not sure if the factory DS/guibo combo has a preferred location with an indicator or arrow on it for indexing to the trans or diff side, but indexing will change the frequency of vibration and possibly eliminate it depending what is generating the vibration in the first place.

Beat me to it!

There is no clocking to the factory shaft, because of its design. It bolts directly to the diff with the CV (nothing that could possibly throw it off balance) and the guibo bushing in the front (again nothing to throw it off). After market shafts are clocked because (in the cts-v case) there is an adapter for the trans mounting which is balanced as part of the drive shaft.

My guess would be the OP's carrier bearing is shotty.

Edit: how are you determining it to be the drive shaft vibrating?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Edit: how are you determining it to be the drive shaft vibrating?
Open the door and stick your head out and look under while doing 90? Lol
Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Open the door and stick your head out and look under while doing 90? Lol
Could stick a gopro in there! we know this
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

Could stick a gopro in there! we know this
Lol... I did that (GoPro) to record the rear subframe slop. I can tell you right now, it was catastrophic. It wouldn't surprise me if having solid mounts for your engine and trans, then weak shitty rubber for the subframe would cause vibrations. As much as the subframe moved around, I'm surprised it stayed under the car lol. The deflection of the subframe could, in theory, cause the guibo to bind, or cause a misalignment on the driveshaft angle. I'm not sure if the vibration is constant in the OP's car or if its under hard throttle and braking. But it could be that a set of rear bushing would now help.

Edit: never mind... Just saw the OP did the rest cradle mounts also.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

I think i pegged mine when I grabbed the driveshaft and moved it around on the bearing mount cause the rubber is so shot...I can only image what an LS6 is doing to it!!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

after driving mine for a couple of days with new cradle, diff, trans and motor mounts is that all the slop that used to be in the car is now being applied solely to the driveshaft. I can actually feel the carrier bearing "buck" when its in reverse...feels like the clutch chattering but it doesn't do it in 1st.

time for a driveshaft overhaul!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I took back the factory shaft so they can trouble shoot the problem. I'm sure they will find the culprit.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

One more thing someone I know replaced his guibo with an aftermarket one from a reputable place and the place that did the work didn't let him even drive his car (cts v6 6speed) because the vibration was so bad. He ended up looking for 3 weeks for a factory one.

Quick Reply: Picked up my car