Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stability system malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability system malfunction

In the process of trying to get my 04 ready for Tx inspection I had to adjust the e-brake. Both sides were bottomed all the way out which explained why it didn't work at all. Works fine now, it does somewhat make a popping sound when engaging though. But now the stability system has started kicking in randomly. Since i had to adjust them so much and the adjuster was somewhat difficult to turn I wasnt able to really tell how much i had turned them, I just got them as close as possible. Both rotors went on easily and there was still plenty of room between the shoes. Could that be the culprit or is it a sensor issue?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking brake shouldn't affect it, especially if the shoes aren't tight against the rotor. Sounds like wheel speed/ABS sensor or steering wheel sensor. You might need to go to a shop with a Tech II scanner to narrow it down.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, good to know its nothing I did I guess. I might be going out on a limb here but does anyone know if there is a way to disable the whole thing in hptuners? I've never been a fan of it anyway.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Teching In

I recently had this issue. I have a friend with a tech II and it told me which sensor. I Thought I needed a whole new hub but I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in again and I haven't seen the error since. I would recommend unplugging the sensors since you did work there and plug them back in. If you want to shut it off almost completely (competition mode) hit TC button twice or completely shut it off I think you hold it down for a certain amount of time.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If there is a stability system issue, it won't allow you to disable it using the button.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't had any issues disabling it by holding the button down. But its kind of of pita to have to do that everytime I start it. In the end I would like a more permanent solution to keeping it off.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it's randomly engaging but you aren't getting a "service stability" message? Unfortunately a shop will probably charge you an hour of labor to check with their scan tool unless they're feeling nice.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Launching!

My '04 had the same issue - Stability kicking in randomly. Turned out to be a Steering Wheel Position Sensor.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

SWPS is most likely the cause. I have one, brand new in box... that I was GOING to put in, but it hasn't been an issue. It normally acts up for me during cold weather only.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmylez
So it's randomly engaging but you aren't getting a "service stability" message? Unfortunately a shop will probably charge you an hour of labor to check with their scan tool unless they're feeling nice.
Ya, pretty much. I'm still looking through the DTC's on my hptuners and trying to figure out what the PO has messed with but I don't see anything on there relating to it. So far It sounds like the steering wheel sensor which is what I had initially found when I first googled the issue. I've been dumping $ into this thing lately trying to figure out when it will end lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Mine liked to grab the left front brake when my swps wen bad, at highway speed it could pull me out of my land if I wasn't paying attention, $74 and two hours of my time later it doesn't try to drive itself

Quick Reply: Stability system malfunction