Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2, Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V2, Manual vs Auto

I know auto seems to be about 85% of the market cars out there but does anyone have any input on the standard transmission..

I've been wanting a v2 for awhile but never considered a manual trans. How does it hold up power wise to the auto and the daily drivability? I drive 80% highway and I typically only hit traffic for 3-4 minutes a day if that. I kinda wanted to stick to an auto for the track, consistent times and perfect driving but I really don't go but once or twice a year now. Also hows the rear end compared to auto? I used to own an 5th gen manual and that was a tough task hooking at the track and I assume this care is worse...Any input is great+thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Interesting dilemma to have ! Manual or Auto . FWIW, the manuals by their nature can be difficult to launch if drag racing. The autos are therefore quicker in the 1/4. Top speed in the auto is about 175 vs. 191 mph for the manual. Rear gear ratio for the auto is 3.23 vs 3.73 for the manual.

I'm sure the manual guys will tell you the manual is much more fun to drive on a road course than the auto. Gas mileage for either one to be fair is not the greatest. Don't really think one has a distinct advantage over the other there. Because the manuals aren't nearly as plentiful as the autos, there's consequently not as big a selection to choose from.

Both trannies have proven to pretty solid pieces without any major issues from what I've heard . Don't really think you have to worry about reliability issues with either one.

However, imo, always good to have a warranty when getting one of these used

To help you decide which one to get might want to test drive them both, back to back if possible and let that be your determining factor.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GT racer
Interesting dilemma to have ! Manual or Auto . FWIW, the manuals by their nature can be difficult to launch if drag racing. The autos are therefore quicker in the 1/4. Top speed in the auto is about 175 vs. 191 mph for the manual. Rear gear ratio for the auto is 3.23 vs 3.73 for the manual.

I'm sure the manual guys will tell you the manual is much more fun to drive on a road course than the auto. Gas mileage for either one to be fair is not the greatest. Don't really think one has a distinct advantage over the other there. Because the manuals aren't nearly as plentiful as the autos, there's consequently not as big a selection to choose from.

Both trannies have proven to pretty solid pieces without any major issues from what I've heard . Don't really think you have to worry about reliability issues with either one.

However, imo, always good to have a warranty when getting one of these used

To help you decide which one to get might want to test drive them both, back to back if possible and let that be your determining factor.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on.

Hey, thanks for the response, I did end up just googling and found the answers you posted on some cadillac forum. Yeah I may just bite the bullet, the one I am looking at is a 2011 M6, Recaro, Certified Pre Owned...Its got 38k so it would push the warranty to 2016 and another 20k over the 4 year 50k. Its at the bottom of the market only because it is a manual I believe and they added the CPO due to the trans option...Only thing I am sad to miss is the Remote Start but I could do this 3rd party afterwards if i really wanted....and If I really wanted to get some decent traction I would need some pricey DR's to throw down some respectable numbers.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the fastest v2 list they're mostly auto. Depends on goals
Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Launching!

V2 manual trans FTW! They usually command more money than the autos because they are much more rare. I love mine and it is hands down the best manual trans I've owned. The stock clutch is excellent and the trans shifts very smooth. Stock clutch will hold 650rwhp. I'm over that now so I had to upgrade to a rps bc2 clutch. It is definitely harder to launch than the autos. At the strip, there are only a handful of manual v2s in the 10s while there are more than a handful of auto v2s in the 9s. I'll still take a manual over auto any day. GM has the no lift shift feature in there so banging gears is so much fun!

Also the manuals put more power to the ground (less loss) than the autos.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also the manuals put more power to the ground (less loss) than the autos.
That's easily mitigated by the torque multiplication factor of the converter (something that is not seen on dynos). And with the much better gearing of the 6L80E it's not hard to see that given everything else the same, autos accelerate faster.

So unless you want a dyno queen, the auto in this situation performs better and doesn't miss shifts.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fun to drive...manual, consistent and comfortable...auto. If I get one I think im gonna find a manual myself since it wont be a daily.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, if you have to ask this question, you're going to end up with an auto.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Launching!

I am very happy with my auto 2011. Never drove a manual v2 but the auto is just so nice and fits in perfectly with the luxury part of the V. Paddles and sport mode work great though I would guess about 2% of the time I wish it was a manual. I don't have a lot of experience with rwd cars especially 500+hp so I would probably put a manual in the ditch or wall haha

I would say if you find a auto with the right miles/price/options go for it but I would also say if you find a manual with the right miles/price/options then go for it =) hope that helps
Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
I am very happy with my auto 2011. Never drove a manual v2 but the auto is just so nice and fits in perfectly with the luxury part of the V. Paddles and sport mode work great though I would guess about 2% of the time I wish it was a manual. I don't have a lot of experience with rwd cars especially 500+hp so I would probably put a manual in the ditch or wall haha

I would say if you find a auto with the right miles/price/options go for it but I would also say if you find a manual with the right miles/price/options then go for it =) hope that helps
Yeah I agree, I may end up going with an Auto...The car I was interested in has had its clutch replaced TWICE....big turnoff. The cars a florida auction car and now in texas....No recaros...I think thats enough strikes to turn me away.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Launching!

I really don't race and I really do enjoy shifting my own gears. It makes sense to me that the Auto would be faster, but I don't care. So far I'm really loving my 3 pedal 4 door V.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
As far as I'm concerned, if you have to ask this question, you're going to end up with an auto.
Yeah pretty much. If you're not dead set on one or the other, population distribution alone is going to be pointing you to the auto.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Daily highway driving 80% ==== manual
Tracking quarter mile ===== == auto
Road racing track ======== = manual
comfort driving around town=== auto
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The TR6060 I have is in a G8 GXP. A chronic sticky clutch and having to change fluid regularly to remedy annoys me. Figured the V would do the same crap. That and much lower milage for the same price is why I got an auto.
Stick with the stock torque converter if you do get an a6 and mod.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
GM has the no lift shift feature in there so banging gears is so much fun!
What is this?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lift shift...

Hammer down, as you reach redline keep the throttle pinned to the floor, clutch in grab next gear, clutch out, all while throttle wide open. Its a program setting in the ecu that keeps the bypass valve shut so you maintain full boost. Had the same thing in my cobalt SS. Wasn't worth the risk of breaking the trans in that. I'd do it in a V, ZL1, or a ZR1 though. They ha e better drivetrains.

Sidenote: if you do it properly and are catless it spits fire on shifts, and not like a little 'poof ermagerd I just spit fire'... Its like LP0-50 burning ***** zombies... Its pretty sweet lol

Edit: you have to be quick about it. I think the computer allows you like up to .3-.4 seconds or some ****. I can't remember.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 09-17-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Default video example

Not a V but you get the idea.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Automatic V? lol
Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV
Automatic V? lol
I used to get crap like back in the 90's that with my 70 Camaro SS350. There was no lol after they were left behind on a quick run, even against higher hp manual trans big block cars.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Cool! Thanks for enlightening me on the no lift shift, didn't know they had a mode like that! I've done plenty of those the old fashioned way!

Quick Reply: V2, Manual vs Auto