Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another LS7 flywheel balance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Another LS7 flywheel balance question

So I'm doing my LS7 conversion and can't find a solid answer on balancing the flywheel. I took the flywheel (12571611) to my local clutch shop and they say it's 28grams out from being zero balanced. Does the flywheel need to be zero balanced and if not where on the crank does the flywheel need to be indixed, there is no locating pin in the crank. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
So I'm doing my LS7 conversion and can't find a solid answer on balancing the flywheel. I took the flywheel (12571611) to my local clutch shop and they say it's 28grams out from being zero balanced. Does the flywheel need to be zero balanced and if not where on the crank does the flywheel need to be indixed, there is no locating pin in the crank. Thanks for the input.
I didnt bother balancing mine for 2 reasons;

1 after the dual mass pos even a slightly out of balance fw will feel perfect

2 with the umi motor mounts and cam the damn car shakes and rattles anyway, no way to notice the fw being slightly off. been driving like that for a long time with no issues.

other people on here have taken the time to have it balanced though, someone will chime in im sure.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone ever just mount the flywheel/PP and start the engine with no transmission to see if thare is a vibration. If thare was then maby clock the PP 120 degrees and see if it's any better. This would be what I call hillbilly balance test
Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the less than $100 why not. I dropped of the whole assembly for them to balance. Then they assembled what they could and it was index to their balance. I have zero problems or vibrations so far. Very smooth and i have cs motor mounts. Just installed Revshift trans block and still zero vibration increase. Do it and don't look back. Btw mine was off i think 20-25 grams. $100 is nothing for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Another LS7 flywheel balance question