Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Poly shifter bushings destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly shifter bushings destroyed?

I did not install these, the original owner did along with a UUC shifter. I was under the car fixing a failed reverse lockout solenoid (or I hope I fixed it), when I noticed the bushings for the shift rails were practically missing. One looks like it split in half, and the half is gone. The other just looks torn up. I don't know if UUC made these, or if the guy just bought them from an unrelated place but did it along with the shifter. The car only has 45k miles, so that seems pretty poor to me.

I have the stock rubber ones, but is there anything now that is more durable than those? Also, do I need to open up the center console to install these (does the shifter plate thing need to be able to move up/down)? I never put them in, so I don't know if I can just stick new ones in the bottom of the car or if the shifter has to be at least partially disassembled? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Poly shifter bushings destroyed?-shifter1.jpg   Poly shifter bushings destroyed?-shifter2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Here are the Poly bushings from CS:
https://creative-steel.com/store/ind...t_detail&p=181

When I installed mine I removed the boot and foam inside the console. Put some lube on the outside and inside of the poly bushing and slide them on the rod first, after that I pushed it into the round "retainer". I had the flange of the bushing facing the rear of the car.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup my uuc ones looked like that. I ended up getting a second set because i didn't know that cs made some. Easy install as long as you grease the hell out of them first.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't put another set of whatever those are back in there if you're gonna have to do it again in a year... My original OEM pieces are still solid at 112k miles.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My UUC ones did that after 5 years. I have CS ones now.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MN_V
I wouldn't put another set of whatever those are back in there if you're gonna have to do it again in a year... My original OEM pieces are still solid at 112k miles.
I wasn't planning on using the same product, and it was more like 4-5 years. I've heard many people have the OEM ones get chewed up too, though, so I'm not sure I want to put those back in either, only to have to redo it.

Have the CS ones been out long enough to tell how well they wear?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you're running stock motor and transmission mounts, their could be enough drivetrain movement there to rip the harder bushings apart over the more flexible factory ones.

Quick Reply: Poly shifter bushings destroyed?