Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch nightmare help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch nightmare help.

My 2005 V just rolled over 100k and was in need of a new clutch. I ordered the Spec stage one clutch that is designed to go with the stock flywheel, because I didn't see any need in replacing it. Motor is completely stock other than CAI headers/exhaust, and I'm really easy on my car...turns out the flywheel was trashed and I had to egg out the holes in the flywheel to get to the bolts. Found a spec flywheel, and called the store (ebay) to confirm the flywheel would work with the clutch I ordered, because spec makes two types...one to go with the stock flywheel and one to go with aftermarket...ends up the one I ordered will not line up correctly...it's a single mass, because I've heard those are the best to go back with. I paid 70 bucks to overnight it, because I was needing my car asap...long story short my question is...I've found a lot of stock flywheels on ebay for ridiculously cheap(50 shipped) and was wondering if going back with the dual mass/stock is a bad idea or not? It would save me about 400 bucks in the end, but I wasn't sure if the stock flywheel could be machined etc. Thanks for any and all help this thing has been a nightmare for my limited mechanical abilities!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I built a 408 and put it in my car.

Getting rid of the stock dual mass flywheel was still the best thing I've ever done to my car.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Yeah...everything I've read has said that...here goes another 400 bucks. Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the LS7 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave and be done with it. Spec has been nothing but problems in every V1 they have ever been installed in. Most of the Spec clutches don't release over 3k RPM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for a LS7 kit.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

LS7 is your cheapest and best upgrade...

Ls9 with modified flywheel is a better upgrade with a higher price...But you dont need this...
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Story
... I'm really easy on my car ...
Just based on this, I'd get a cheap OEM flywheel and save the $400.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
Just based on this, I'd get a cheap OEM flywheel and save the $400.
Very subjective topic. I too am easy on my car and the LS7 flywheel makes driving the car more enjoyable. It provides more direct feedback from the drivetrain, less slop in my shifts, and fewer noises.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Very subjective topic. I too am easy on my car and the LS7 flywheel makes driving the car more enjoyable. It provides more direct feedback from the drivetrain, less slop in my shifts, and fewer noises.
Agreed! I'm in the same boat
Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

less complexity = fewer problems. LS7 flywheel all the way.

Even though it is lighter than the dual mass it replaces, I really can't tell that the car is harder to get moving off idle with the LS7 flywheel. The car will idle along in gear with clutch out which makes traffic easy to deal with. I've had cars with light flywheels that had a hard time crawling through traffic but the LS7 setup isn't one of them.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Oh, I don't disagree. On the contrary, my LS9 twin-disc kit is fabulous in comparison to the OEM clutch and UUC FW it replaced, but four hundred beans is four hundred beans, and if the OP views his V as not much more than "an appliance" then an OEM FW would be adequate.

I enthusiastically apologize to the OP if you view your V as something other than an appliance.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
I enthusiastically apologize to the OP if you view your V as something other than an appliance.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Keep in mind that going with the LS7 FW and the rest of the LS7 "kit" *might* result in a few hiccups here and there regarding clutch drag, slave shims, a new ls7 slave to match the rest, and possibly a new master cylinder (Philistine's) to make sure you get the full "throw" out of the new slave. Many have found their OEM hydraulics don't push the fluid volume it once did and when they swap to the LS7 (or other) cluch kits they have issues with rough shifting, blocked gears, and so on. Not trying to ruin this for ya man, but I've been through most of the above. I foolishly hoped that I'd just be able to swap the clutch kit and slave and be done with it, but that certainly wasn't the case. You'll probably have guys tell you the opposite of what I've just said, but I think that's because the hydraulic systems on our cars don't all age the same way. They're not consistent from one car to the next. So some people get off lucky and others find themselves in "mod hell" with what they thought was going to be a simple clutch swap.

If you'd like any more info, I'd be happy to fill you in on my experiences. Just PM me.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

SPEC is trash , only ppl that like that junk are mustang owners because they still have cable clutch systems.

I had major issues with my spec not allowing gears to engage at high RPMS, spec told me the trans was bad.

I dropped in a twin disk and all was good again...

Quick Reply: Clutch nightmare help.