Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Considering 09+ A6 V Sedan - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 09+ A6 V Sedan - what to look for?

Hey guys - I'm considering selling off my TA and daily driver and picking up an 09+ CTS-V A6 sedan with <45k miles on it.

Is there any issues/problems I should be on the lookout for?

Really wanted to get a C6 GS, but a nice DD sounds more practical at this point.

Let me know!

-Marc
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Hey guys - I'm considering selling off my TA and daily driver and picking up an 09+ CTS-V A6 sedan with <45k miles on it.

Is there any issues/problems I should be on the lookout for?

Really wanted to get a C6 GS, but a nice DD sounds more practical at this point.

Let me know!

-Marc

IMO, you are making a wise choice.

There can be a few "quirks" to look out for but I would hope that with the car being an 09 and that mileage that if there were any issues they would have already been addressed.

Would check to see that the seats especially if they are Recaros in the car don't have what has been described as a possible rocking issue.

If the supercharger's " isolator" has not been changed ( a warranty item because the supercharger is warrantied for 10 years/ 120 K miles if not mistaken ) it should be changed out to the solid isolator because if not you may hear a " rattling" sound like marbles at idle or when shutting down. Not a big deal as mentioned because it still covered under Gm warranty even with it being an 09.

Also listen for any wheel clicking when turning at low speeds. This was a warrantee item at one time, don't know if it still is but the "fix" as I recall was cleaning, then lubricating the hub and replacing the lug nuts with specific GM ones and torquing them to 110 ft-lbs. as I recall.

If there should be any noise ( groaning/ grinding ? ) that seems to be coming from the rear( especially when turning sharply at 5 mph or so) probably safe to say the car needs to have the diff fluid changed out and replaced with the GM diff fluid AND with the GM specific diff additive.

If the car has the sun roof option might want to check for any possible signs of leaking ( wet carpeting, water stains ). These cars aren't noted for having a leaking problem but I just think it's a good idea to check for this on any car that has a sun roof.

That's pretty much it . FWIW, I have an 09 and couldn't be happier with the car.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTman
IMO, you are making a wise choice.

There can be a few "quirks" to look out for but I would hope that with the car being an 09 and that mileage that if there were any issues they would have already been addressed.

Would check to see that the seats especially if they are Recaros in the car don't have what has been described as a possible rocking issue.

If the supercharger's " isolator" has not been changed ( a warranty item because the supercharger is warrantied for 10 years/ 120 K miles if not mistaken ) it should be changed out to the solid isolator because if not you may hear a " rattling" sound like marbles at idle or when shutting down. Not a big deal as mentioned because it still covered under Gm warranty even with it being an 09.

Also listen for any wheel clicking when turning at low speeds. This was a warrantee item at one time, don't know if it still is but the "fix" as I recall was cleaning, then lubricating the hub and replacing the lug nuts with specific GM ones and torquing them to 110 ft-lbs. as I recall.

If there should be any noise ( groaning/ grinding ? ) that seems to be coming from the rear( especially when turning sharply at 5 mph or so) probably safe to say the car needs to have the diff fluid changed out and replaced with the GM diff fluid AND with the GM specific diff additive.

If the car has the sun roof option might want to check for any possible signs of leaking ( wet carpeting, water stains ). These cars aren't noted for having a leaking problem but I just think it's a good idea to check for this on any car that has a sun roof.

That's pretty much it . FWIW, I have an 09 and couldn't be happier with the car.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Appreciate the help! I've tried to search for issues, and thankfully haven't found much of anything. All of those items seem pretty common and reasonable to address. I would prefer a sunroof car, but obviously it will come down to what the best deal/maintained car is when it comes time to buy. Selling off my DD and the TA I am building first.

What all do you have done to your 09 V?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Appreciate the help! I've tried to search for issues, and thankfully haven't found much of anything. All of those items seem pretty common and reasonable to address. I would prefer a sunroof car, but obviously it will come down to what the best deal/maintained car is when it comes time to buy. Selling off my DD and the TA I am building first.

What all do you have done to your 09 V?

As for mods, have just done what could be described as entry level. An Airaid CAI, a 2.55" upper pulley on the supercharger, ID 850 injectors ( because the duty cycle with the stock injectors was was too high for my liking at 98 % with the pulley swap ) and a trans tune to go with the engine tune .

Power wise it dynoed at 548 RWHP and 555 RWTQ using a dynojet dyno with these mods.

FWIW, would recommend being very careful choosing your tuner if you do mods and can't emphasize strongly enough how important it is to get an experienced and knowledgeable tuner when it comes to tuning the trans on these cars.

Quick Reply: Considering 09+ A6 V Sedan - what to look for?