Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Steering wheel mis-alignment after clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel mis-alignment after clunk noise

I live in the city and frequently turn lock to lock while parking and maneuvering at slow speeds. Yesterday morning, I cranked the wheel full left, pulled forwards, and as I cranked the wheel full right and began to backup there was a pop with a thud felt through the steering wheel. I though the tire might have slipped or dislodged a piece of broken pavement, I was backing into my garage in the alley and it was 15* outside. Didn't think anything of it, straightened the wheel, finished parking, and got out.

When I came back after work, i immediately noticed while driving down a side street that the steering wheel now appears to be off center by a few degrees. I notice this stuff and it was not like this on the morning drive in. The car might be pulling slightly as well, but hard to say because it was a city street driving on heavily crowned roads. In unfamiliar with the power steering system and rack on this car. Is ther a component in the system that could have slipped causing my steering wheel misalignment? The rack in my last car was held in place with poly bushings and clamps and coils easily shift if a clamp was loose. I think this rack is bolted in place if I understand the pictures I've seen thus far.

Anyone with more intimate knowledge of the steering rack, steering shaft, and tie rods have any ideas? I have a house full of sick kids and have not had the opportunity to test for play in the wheels or do a visual inspection. The steering still felt solid and tight with no obvious mechanical failure symptoms.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like something in the suspension or steering finally reached its final wear point and went from all good to "now I have slop". A change in toe cause by this new found movement caused your steering center to move.

Could be a control arm bushing, rack mount, tie rod, any number of things.

Because this could directly affect tire wear, you have a couple of options. If your on new tires, I'd hustle up and get it fixed. If your tires are about shot anyway, you could ride it out for a while.

Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the control arm bolts. I've seen more than one loose a lower control arm bolt for what ever reason. I wouldn't drive it until you figure it out though. Might not end up well for you or worse, someone else.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Check the control arm bolts. I've seen more than one loose a lower control arm bolt for what ever reason. I wouldn't drive it until you figure it out though. Might not end up well for you or worse, someone else.
That's concerning.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Likely scenario ^, I would start by lining up the steering wheel as it was before the alignment shift. Eye ball the wheels from behind the car and look for the wheel thats pointing other than straight ahead. If you still can't tell try a four foot level placed on the left then right side of the wheel/tire to tell which way they're pointing. That should tell you what side shifted.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time I had "odd" noises with the power steering system, the fluid was a little low. If you find out you have worn inner/outer tie rods, you can replace that then get an alignment.

I had squished motor mounts, weeping hydraulic hoses, and a blown seal on my rack when I did a complete replacement of my steering system.

You can pull the rack and replace the inner/outer tie rods in about 8hrs - then pay $100 for an alignment.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel mis-alignment after clunk noise