Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shifter installed....progress report.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Shifter installed....progress report.

I bought my 93k mile V// with a stock shifter, and man did it f**king suck. It was way worse than my e36 m3 was at 230k miles.
I chose the Domestic V8 Solutions speedloader shifter. Talk about a rugged piece!! Its tight yet smooth. The tolerances at the pivot ball and the lower attachment bolt are very close (maybe 1 thousandth or so at the lower bolt) It took out so much slop that initially I had a hard time driving the car. But now I've gotten used to it and its been great!!! (Now I'm getting all slop ****,and want to get the last half inch of free play with home depot bushings and the roll pin or shift cup.) Damn it I swore I would be happy!
My shifter came in the mustang thread pitch M12x1.25mm....I wish I got the 3/8"x16 threads instead, so I could use the cheap steel McMaster ****....well I didn't so I had to choose something else.
For knobbage, I went with the 500 gram stainless **** on eBay for about $46 (shipped). I was a pissed because I expected the **** to be perfectly tapped, instead it had an oversize hole with threaded reducing inserts. Initially I thought the inserts were plastic and would strip easily. The seller offered a refund but I declined. Turns out the inserts are aluminum so....I was OK with that....at least I can put the **** on something else as it came with several adapters.
So here it sits, the DV8S speed loader, with the 500 gram stainless eBay **** ($46) a stainless M12 lock washer ($0.48 @ ace hardware), and an M12 jam but ($0.66 @ Ace).
The lock washer works great with the jam nut, little torque is needed to keep the **** from spinning loose. The boot fits up over the nut...but I haven't come up with a way to keep it up, I might try a boot retainer it I can find a metal one that is not stupid expensive (the plastic ones are $15, gimme a break!)
The **** has no engravings what-so-ever...honestly I think its weight is too much, it feels slow to move...I drove with the **** off and I think I'm gonna get a lighter cheap **** like a plastic Dormanand test that out for a while.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter installed....progress report.-img_20141205_160012.jpg   Shifter installed....progress report.-img_20141205_155955.jpg  

Last edited by hefftone; 12-05-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you like it.......
Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double nut the boot.. worked for me
Old 12-07-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.no19products.com

Has some pretty cool custom *****. I'm hoping to get one for xmas! I've been happy with the ***** I've got as well.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Those are all we recommend on our shifters. They also have a boot retainer used for the mustangs that works well.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

My 2007 CTS-V. Shifter mods include:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
**this is the source of remaining free play.... It is worst in 3rd Neutral & fourth due the fact that the shaft coupler has no rotation applied to it to take up the axial tolerance.
Past the free play, the shifter will flex some but its pretty firm...I will add urethane side rail bushings in the future (because they are cheap and easy to access.) I will have the shift coupler pin improved next time tranny is out....or at least accessible.

∆ the tick bronze cup...I believe this is creating a stiffness in side-to-side levering when the trans heats up to about 145°F....I have been working the shifter side to side at this temp and above, in hopes to wear/break-in this stiffness/binding. If it does not go away, I will replace it with a new factory plastic piece the next time the trans is out.

CTS-V Shifter Improvements T-56 V1:

Last edited by hefftone; 05-25-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Reserved for future edit.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hefftone

∆ the tick bronze cup...I believe this is creating a stiffness in side-to-side levering when the trans heats up to about 145°F....I have been working the shifter side to side at this temp and above in hopes to wear/break-in this stiffness/binding. I it does no go away I will replace it with a new factory plastic piece the next time the trans is out.
I removed mine due to the same problem, installed a new plastic cup, and it was a huge improvement. My binding did loosen up slightly over a period of 4 months, but not nearly enough.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Launching!

So ole Hefftone has been my inspiration ever since I sat in his car and felt how solid his shifter is.

So far I have the following parts on the way to be installed into my car along side of my clutch swap.

•Brian/Pissnuoff/07CTS-V ('s) Bronze coupler bushings. ( Does anyone know of a how to or an install thread with pictures?)
• tick bronze shift cup.
Also going to weld the pin on the shift coupler per recommendations from Heff and others.

Already in the car is Brian/Pissnuoff Hurst shifter with CS shifter bushing, Philistine Clutch Master Cylinder.

I am hoping that when you combine the parts already on the car, the new parts going in, along with the new c6 clutch and Tick remote bleeder this car will shift much better..because it shifts like absolute doodoo right now.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LAYGO
http://www.no19products.com

Has some pretty cool custom *****. I'm hoping to get one for xmas! I've been happy with the ***** I've got as well.

Very nice looking shifter sir.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You guys are obsessed with your *****. Seriously, I'm not going to say I like your ****...but if I did, there wouldn't be anything wrong with that. Right...?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Very nice looking shifter sir.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Shifter installed....progress report.