Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I got a whole cam setup for real cheap from my buddy. He's building his camaro in my garage, so I got the cam and all the supporting stuff, cheap.

Here's the dilemma...

He just got a vette in his shop that blew a ringland or 5. It's got a Maggie on it... A Maggie that will be getting replaced from what he understands... Half jokingly, I offered him to trade the cam and a few things back in trade for the Maggie, he agreed.

The cam is a big SOB, 620/593, 235/242, 111 LSA.

Obviously, I'm not going to use that big of a cam with a forced induction application. So its one or the other.

I already have an oil pump, new balancer and bolt, just put in new LS9 springs last year, got an LS2 timing chain and a set of gently used LS9 injectors from my buddy a few days ago. I'll probably do all that list either way. SOOOOO, Basically I'll be trading it for a cam, pushrods and a set of dual springs.

Part of me wants a NASTY big cam. But part of me wants the blower whine. The trade is only for the blower and manifold at this point. Unless they totally change the HX setup, and I get that too. I'll probably just go scoop up a DW300 to drop in the car.

So whatcha think fellas??? Blower? Or big cam. I'm leaning towards boost... I love boost

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 12-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Depends how you drive your car. A big cam sounds nice in all kinds of driving which is mostly what most of us do anyways - stop-n-go traffic, grabbing groceries etc. It's an attention getter.

Get the Maggie if you want to have all that instantaneous high torque fun! You won't have to worry about most of those Coyote 5.0s. I don't recall hearing any negative feedback with the performance of the Maggie - aside from heatsoak but it's a PD roots, eh.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know me... Crazy driver. I daily that bitch and when I get a chance, hit a little road course from time to time.

Yea heat, I was already looking at where to source a dual pass termi hx from, with a pump... That should be more than sufficient. I'm still stock lower end. I'm just hoping, when he sends me pictures tomorrow from work, that it is a 122. I'll figure out how to make it work somehow.

Ironically enough, I think the cam would be rougher on the motor (valve train wise) than the Maggie would. I'd leave most everything else stock internally for now. Maybe change the cam, but the LS6 can would be pretty good since its pretty aggressive for a stocker.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

My main concern is fitment. Anyone know if they are the same manifolds from V1 to C5? I had heard the C5 blower sits further back.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blower now, blower cam later. Then you have best of both worlds. You don't really see the gains of a big nasty cam until you do head work and intake. You'd see a far larger power band with a Maggie though.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by philistine
Depends how you drive your car ... Get the Maggie if you want to have all that instantaneous high torque fun! ...
Agreed.

If you're running your car a lot at sustained high RPMs (like on the track), a maggie may not be the best choice. If, however, you do the vast majority of your driving on the street at low and mid-range RPMs, a maggie makes the most sense.

Drive a maggied V just once, and you'll NEVER go back.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

get a killer chiller and NEVER worry about high charge temps and timing being pulled again from the roots style blower, also good dual pass heat exchanger, with 3/4 insulated lines, as for a pump the stock bosch pump or a jabsco pump "flows 100x more" will help ALOT.

get the blower ported to lower charge temps and gain some more top end out of it
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

My vote would be the maggie. You will hate that cam after awhile. I agree, I want a nasty cam too, but that would be to big with to low of an lsa. Just my opinion, either way it will be nasty

If you end up doing the cam, I can't wait to hear it though!!!!!

Last edited by fitz98ta; 12-11-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That cam would suck donkey nuts to drive in SoCal traffic, I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys. If its the 2300 or 122 blower, I'll probably go for it. I realize that I won't be able to take advantage as much without forging the lower end, but at least I'll have the blower and can upgrade internals later. I'm waiting on a picture from my buddy so I can hopefully identify the blower. The car hadn't been run in 5 years. So I'm not going to just boot it on immediately. I'm probably going to rebuild it, or have it rebuilt and ported.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 12-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
That cam would suck donkey nuts to drive in SoCal traffic, I'm sure.
Haha, yea, but I only have a 6 mile commute and there is usually very little traffic.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

make sure the jackshaft offset is correct for the cts-v. You can still easily make 500rwhp on a 122 without a forged bottom end. I love the whine of the maggie so even if it was a 112 i would vote for that.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its totally different... Not even close.

I just got a picture from my buddy. It appear to be a 112 unit. I'm sad, I really wanted a 2300 or at least a 122 case.

So I'm gonna call up Maggie and see how much a new jackshaft, and new intake manifold are for it.

Let me know if the picture doesn't show up. I'm on my phone so it may not work properly.
Attached Thumbnails dilemma...-forumrunner_20141211_095811.png  
Old 12-11-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i just got off the phone with maggie... If i do get it, ill be sending it in for a check up and rebuild as necessary, and they will put it on a new manifold for me, and replace the jackshaft. The only issue is that the guy that deals with that kind of stuff isn't in the office today so I can't get a price. But I'm definitely intrigued now. I wonder what I can get with ethanol on it power wise. I have LS9 injectors here at the house. If I go the way of the blower, I'll be ordering up a dw300 and enough line to do a supply and return and a boost referenced regulator. Now I'm all excited for the blower.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 12-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Blow it for sure. Just remind yourself of the limits of the 112 in the end

To me it's not even a contest between a donky dick cam and a maggie. So much more street ability and torque on the Maggie. If you can get a good deal go for it.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

so the 112 is a 1.8 eaton basically correct?

you going to port it? what about the silencer holes, if it has them fill them in how much boost you going to push?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

6psi is pretty common, but with meth you can push to 8, I believe.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good decision.

If you want more than about 6 psi, a 2.7 or 2.6 pulley and maybe an 8" crank pulley will help. Then to keep it from slipping, do an 8-rib setup. I think you'd be in the 8-ish psi (maybe more?) area. Then a tune. If you get aggressive with the timing, meth will suppress detonation, but don't run out.

It's so much fun spending someone else's money.

EDIT: Oh, yeah ... you're gonna need a bigger TB. An LS2 takeoff 90mm would be perfect. You'd need another maggie snout and don't forget the harness.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not a fan of meth because, unless I want to run windshield wiper fluid, it can be difficult to get here. There is an E85 station about a mile from my house though, so I'll probably go that route. I already started pricing a DW300, a boost reference pressure regulator and all the lines to do a supply and return. My buddy just gave me a set of LS9 injectors, which should have enough ceiling for the E85. For now, I just gotta get the blower. Then I'll have to wait a bit to send it in for the changes. I just found out the roof of my house is leaking due to the recent rains here in So. Cal. so that is slightly more important right now than a blower. But either way, I'll have it in my possession hopefully in a few days, if they decide to go a different route. And even if I don't get it, my buddy said he has a vortec V3 trim sitting there at his shop as well. So I'm hoping to get one or the other. Either on will be on ethanol.

I'm not shooting for ridiculous power right now, that isn't until after I do a forged lower end. It's still my daily driver for the next 6 months-1 year.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like boosting a (relatively) high compression factory NA motor especially with the wonky fuel solutions for these things, but that's just me. E85 really pushes the system further. However, That's a pretty hairy cam so the valvetrain concerns jump right out as you've already said. Tough call really. I'd probably sell both and get a less blumpy cam or something. Just because those are the two options on-hand doesn't mean they're your only choices.

Quick Reply: dilemma...