Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Comments welcomed on LS7 set up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments welcomed on LS7 set up.

Well I intended to stab trans today but will wait four more days till Friday. It took me a while to figure out Slave hookups. I'm 1/16 to 1/8 of inch difference on A,B subtraction with no shim, so unless I'm convinced otherwise, I'm going for it. Mounted Alternator too. First pic is what I got from tick, with line and speed bleeder line in packages. Next pic is setup swapping the LS7 line out and bleeder adapter out. Shoot holes if needed, I pray I'm only apart once. After this all works, then it's on to Philistine Clutch Master.

LS7 slave as received from Tick

slave with speeed bleeeder line in place of previous bleeder hardware and new short hose which should meet up perfectly with master line.

didn't want to bend line so I whacked a little corner out below existing hole.

Got rid of sponge shield and replaced with 24 by 48 piece of thermo tec

I wish i could pre fill bleeder line, slave and master line while tranny is off car.

Mounted Mech Man
Old 01-11-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that alternator is purrrdy..... nice looking shielding as well.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would've loved to replace my tunnel shielding with that Thermotec stuff. Looks sharp.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks and thanks! Any comments on slave set up? I think I did ok, but am not sure as this is first clutch in 20+ years. Sweating bleeding it, my good friend lent me his Motiv bleeder so I hope it goes good Friday.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motown Cad
Thanks and thanks! Any comments on slave set up? I think I did ok, but am not sure as this is first clutch in 20+ years. Sweating bleeding it, my good friend lent me his Motiv bleeder so I hope it goes good Friday.
It may take a lot to bleed it, but just keep going till it feels good, it will come in eventually. Mine took me something like an hour + and I never ran it dry. (although be careful it is small and you can do it easily.) A power bleeder like you have is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Fuzzy thanks, I'll take my time. I know there is air in the slave because I turned it around not realizing there was fluid in it shipped.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 AM
TECH Resident

Do your clutch master before you bleed the slave. Save yourself time and brake fluid
Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by serik21
Do your clutch master before you bleed the slave. Save yourself time and brake fluid
Wait, Serik that is an awesome idea. I do that with the pressure bleeder I assume but am not sure of connection/processs? How would you do it. I'm not the savviest when it comes to this. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cleaner you get the input shaft splines, the easier it will slide together when the time comes. I used a scotch brite pad.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks ls1247. Will do! Does anyone know how I might go about just bleeding the master? I separated the spring clip loaded black connectors. So how would I crack and bleed? Or just pressure push thru? Plus it's just with the motive bleeder obviously as the transmission wouldn't be hooked up? Any help appreciated, I'm really sweating the bleed.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pull the slave back off the trans. Hook it up to the master...and bleed it.. Witb just pushing the pedal and speed bleeder open. Making sure to keep the master fukl. Unhook at the disconnect, And go about your install.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Voodoo, thank you that's an awesome idea. And that makes even more sense with a stock master that is questionable in force. You bleed the slave itself and are pretty sure it's bled in full range static environment, then hook to tranny, install and test under load without possibly having to go back and forth backin off and re installing trans.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd pull the slave back off the trans. Hook it up to the master...and bleed it.. Witb just pushing the pedal and speed bleeder open. Making sure to keep the master fukl. Unhook at the disconnect, And go about your install
I did that and you will still end up with more bleeding to do. For some reason when disconnecting and reconnecting the slave to the master you get some air into the system. I actually watched the air bubble up into the master cylinder (Tick) when I did this. It wasn't a ton but it was enough to be problematic.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Sssnake,

Interesting and thanks for warning but you're bleeding any way you look at it, just probably again if I understand correctly. It did dawn on me that the slave (when hooked up to tranny and trans attached to bell housing) is getting bled in the "compressed" or engaged state. So I would tape it with slave compressed. If bled extended, I think you would end up with "more" fluid and might break something when it gets compressed by pressure plate fingers on installation. Thoughts? This would blow labor rates out of the water for clutch installs if it works. In theory, I can't understand why it wouldn't work.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its been a while and it had been a 12 hour day but from memory we filled/bled with it extended (held in place while bleeding with a couple of boards and C clamps) and opened the bleeder (with check valve) while stabbing the tranny.

The slave had come pre-filled but previous unsuccessful installs earlier that day left us wondering if there was air trapped in the slave initially. It was one of those WTF it can't be worse scenarios. The next day I ordered a Tick MC and began that goat rope (not a fun install - trim collar, test fit, repeat ad infinitum).
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Well..........I really appreciate all the advice. I was sweating this and took my time. Like I said earlier I had roughly .100 to .125 clearance with no shims. Stabbed, bolted back up without attempting bench test. I borrowed my friends Motiv but didn't need to use it. I did about 15 cycles of pumping, holding, releasing, waiting, filling and so on. Fired her up, put her "RIGHT INTO REVERSE", (1st good sign), let out clutch and grabbed like crazy about an inch to 1.5 inches off the floor (2nd good sign). Put it "RIGHT INTO FIRST" (3rd good sign). Revved engine with clutch disengaged and no creep (4th good sign) and let her out where she grabbed right about where reverse did off the floor. So I'm happy for my first clutch in 20+ years. Woooooo Hooooo. Then I gunned it to 5500 and dumped it and did a raging doughnut burn out in parking lot. Just kidding, lol. Thank you guys for all your advice/comments.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:42 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The remote bleeder is a life saver...
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I did that and you will still end up with more bleeding to do. For some reason when disconnecting and reconnecting the slave to the master you get some air into the system. I actually watched the air bubble up into the master cylinder (Tick) when I did this. It wasn't a ton but it was enough to be problematic.
It's hard to believe that the recommended procedure for bleeding the master on this car is to disconnect the hose and use the valve to purge air out of the system.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's hard to believe that the recommended procedure for bleeding the master on this car is to disconnect the hose and use the valve to purge air out of the system
I wouldn't say recommended procedure but it was what I did. I dread swapping the Tick for the PMC. It is sitting in the shelf right now waiting on the install.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I wouldn't say recommended procedure but it was what I did. I dread swapping the Tick for the PMC. It is sitting in the shelf right now waiting on the install.
No, it is the recommended procedure by both philistine and Tick. It's in the PMC thread near the end.

Quick Reply: Comments welcomed on LS7 set up.