Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

people with cradle bushings, chime in

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default people with cradle bushings, chime in

I've decided to hold off on all power mods, until I get this car driving like it should. Thinking about cradle bushings now. The reviews seem a bit mixed regarding benefits but still mostly positive.

I'm trying to decided on 80a vs the 95a. I don't have much experience with poly stuff. My 80a engine give me no issues. I have a 95a forward diff mount that I have not put in yet.

Please share what your using, how you like it, what you modded before/after. If you have experience with both hardness that would be invaluable.

The question I really have is how much does it really need to be able to move and why so soft from the factory?....leaning towards the 80a because not racecar.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

I have 80a subframe, rear trailing arm, and diff bushings. I DD my car, lots of long drives with the family, no complaints with only a minor increase in driveline noise into the car, no perceived increase in harshness. Definitely a better feel from the rear end while cornering under power. I would still be happy with them even if they were louder or harsher due to all of the problems the solved.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80 a is far better then what you have now. Stick with your gut and move forward. You will notice a difference for sure. If you went too stiff you could regret it and you don't ever want to go backwards..

Sounds like u agreed on 80 and wanted somebody to change your mind. I vote 80 if you drive it often. My chime..
Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Ya go 80, I have 95 in the cradle and it makes stuff loud.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I have all creative steel bushings 90a+ and love how tight it feels but I don't daily mine oh and very little if any wheel hop now
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I have 80a subframe, rear trailing arm, and diff bushings. I DD my car, lots of long drives with the family, no complaints with only a minor increase in driveline noise into the car, no perceived increase in harshness. Definitely a better feel from the rear end while cornering under power. I would still be happy with them even if they were louder or harsher due to all of the problems the solved.
The only thing i can add to this is that I think my car actually rides better because it doesn't shudder when you hit sharp edged bumps. The suspension is doing more of the work than it used to.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll chime in and muddy the water....

I'm running both 80 & 95. I have the 80's cradle to body. and the 95's retainer to cradle.

I didn't notice any difference in noise when I was running all 80's. Running the 80's increased gear noise compared to stock. Wheel hop was improved from 6/10 to 8/10 (I'm also running Gforce axles and BMR pinion brace).

I have a set of creative steel bushings waiting to be installed when I drop the cradle in the spring.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The problem is soft bushings. So if you want to replace them with the softer option have at it. But if you are replacing them and think the noise difference is that big of a deal to you, then I'd imagine you to stay stock. Just my opinion. 95 FTW

Originally Posted by hefftone
Please share what your using, how you like it, what you modded before/after. If you have experience with both hardness that would be invaluable.

The question I really have is how much does it really need to be able to move and why so soft from the factory?....leaning towards the 80a because not racecar.
Not many will have put one in, disliked it, then tried the other. Although it would be easier to change the second time.

Does it need to move....no. Not at all. People have welded and mounted it solid before. Why does it come from the factory, for creature comfort and noise reduction. Among other reasons. 80 will be an improvement no doubt, but if not a race car then why at all IMO. If you're no doing burn outs or power slides or drag launches then why hassle with it at all? Roll racing you would barely notice a difference unless watching a camera view of the sub frame. Again, it's just my opinion but if you're going to do it, do it once and go with the 95. I'm sure your concern with the noise would be unnoticeable between the two.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 02-04-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take note that i have not installed cradle bushings yet, but i plan to before the car is 'complete' when i can return to summer mode...

i will probably end up with the softer of the two versions because over the last year of my ownership i've put on nearly 20k miles and i've got a couple more months to even reach a year of ownership. i also drive around my going on one year old daughter daily to and from grandma's house. so i'd rather the softer version of the bushings, but i know for damn sure the stock rubber is not up to the task.

that being said i'm also installing coilovers to "ruin my ride quality". so apparently i'm just not that smart to begin with.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running the CS 80a bushings and it actually added more diff noise than I thought it would. Perhaps my diff has started to whine more on its own, but the bushings amplify it. I'm going to swap the diff fluid with 75W-140 to see if it will quiet down a bit. I agree with the "when in doubt, go softer" saying, but that's just me.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmylez
I'm running the CS 80a bushings and it actually added more diff noise than I thought it would. Perhaps my diff has started to whine more on its own, but the bushings amplify it. I'm going to swap the diff fluid with 75W-140 to see if it will quiet down a bit. I agree with the "when in doubt, go softer" saying, but that's just me.
Mine dude the same thing. The shockproof redline will help and a stock diff bushing if can handle the clunk.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did 95a everywhere.... The gear whine is louder, the clunk is louder, and I just don't care. Every aspect of handling is better, it wheel hops less, it feels more controllable when I hang the *** out, and when I'm cornering hard.

I also did a LS9 clutch and katech flywheel, that is really light. A lot of the drivetrain's shock is taken up by the dual mass flywheel.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Go hard.

The car feels smoother with the bushings than without. More planted, yet still comfortable.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
Same here. Fluid did not help the noise. The planted rear suspension is well worth it and I rarely get loose or drive hard and never do burnouts. The car just feels 'right'

I can't imagine the harder ones are that much louder really but it would be a bit of a pain to swap out just to compare noise and performance. My guess is that there really isn't much difference.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the replys.

Mine is daily driven. I spent the last 6 years in an e36 M3 and I used to beat the **** out of it, drift it, slide it around every chance I got. When my wife (who is now pregnant), and 3 year old daughter are with me I like it comfy and too not hear bitching about how my prized chariot ride like some Oregon trail ****. When I'm by myself, that's when I like to cut loose and drop the hammer.... straight, sideways, whatever. I'd love to hit a track day in my car some day.....in the meantime I will drive everyday.

Granted there is a huge power difference and a considerable size and weight, but in the v the back end moves in an unsettling way. When doing light hooning he rear wheels feel like ****** spaghetti legs, hopping a squirming all over the place...

As far as experience with both I was hoping maybe some folks have ridden or driven in there car and most likely another. I could see some more vibes coming through interior pieces at different speeds,rpm, etc.

With something like bushings see people say, "man I got the hard/race and its so noisy and harsh...." Then people reply, "well fucktard, if your daily isn't a racecar, you should have gotten the softer...."

So yeah if you noticed differences a little bit here and there, but your wife, girlfriend, grandma, aunt Betty was none the wiser....regardless of the durometer that's sorta what I'm shooting for. Like I said, never had Polly anything before, but my 80a engine feel fantastic (solid,not annoying at all).
Old 02-05-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

My wife doesn't even know what I've done to the car. She does comment sometimes on the rear diff lash. But that was there before, it was just masked by the boat anchor dual mass flywheel. I went 95a and I love it. Its still smooth like a Cadillac should be. And now its very steady in a slide and doesn't hop nearly as bad when I drive like an animal. I'd personally go stiff bushings, I do in every car I own. My kid loves my car, loud, fast, he always wants to ride in it. He's 2, and he is definitely going to be a petrol head
Old 02-06-2015, 04:21 AM
TECH Regular

Similarly my wife could not perceive any sort of difference between the OE bushings and the poly replacements.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hefftone
Granted there is a huge power difference and a considerable size and weight, but in the v the back end moves in an unsettling way. When doing light hooning he rear wheels feel like ****** spaghetti legs, hopping a squirming all over the place...
This is well described and exactly what gets fixed. There is no extra harshness or vibration at all. It's just the damn driveline whine that increases and that's really not much more from the cradle bushings but mostly the diff bushing.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would appear it's a case-by-case situation, then. I did CS black diff bushing + block with no diff whine. Added black cradle bushings and had significant increase in diff whine. That saddens me that thicker fluid doesn't help. Was just about to hit up the store for some.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went 80 on motor mounts with little noise increase
80A on transmission mount - lots of noise - now going to 40A
80A on cradle bushings - more noise but not horrible - wish I had gone with the 95A
95A rear trailing arm - no increase
95A upper control arm - don't know yet...

Any of the diff bushings or blocks added a TON of noise for me.

Quick Reply: people with cradle bushings, chime in