Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?

Im installing a racetronix fuel pump kit in a 04. The pump came with a new harness plug for the new pump. The old harness that goes from the pump to the hat has a wire going to the fpr. The new harness doesn't. I assume I need that wire going to the fpr. Is it missing or not needed? Does anyone have any experience with this and what did you do? Getting ahold of racetronix is a pita by the way
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mine pulled right now. I don't have a wire going to the regulator. There are two wires going to the fuel level sensor. Post pics.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbird2kta
Im installing a racetronix fuel pump kit in a 04. The pump came with a new harness plug for the new pump. The old harness that goes from the pump to the hat has a wire going to the fpr. The new harness doesn't. I assume I need that wire going to the fpr. Is it missing or not needed? Does anyone have any experience with this and what did you do? Getting ahold of racetronix is a pita by the way
what are we missing here.
The following statement makes no sense
Originally Posted by blkbird2kta
The old harness that goes from the pump to the hat has a wire going to the fpr.
. -
the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR?), part of the bucket assembly, is a pressure spring setup... no wires.

as mentioned by 07CTS, you will have a level wire... but that is nothing to do with the Hot Wire Kit. That kit is 'super' easy... im sorta scared these are questions at all...
Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Teching In

The 04 has a black ground wire going to the FPR, it is a pressure spring, but it is in there for a ESD precaution. I noticed my brothers 07 didnt have it. I just wired it to the negative side of the pump.

What blkbrd is talking about is a 28 gauge wire that is factory spliced into the negative side of the pump. It does nothing more than ground the FPR, it is a ground strap so when you ran out of gas it would reduce the risk of a spark. Older FPR are metal springs on a metal cylinder wrapped in plastic.

Sorry no pics, I will have the Pump out this weekend.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

What Qball said. My 04 has the same.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks qqqball. I found out it was a ground after I posted this. Ill just ground make a wire and ground it like it was stock.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, this.
However, it is not going to the FPR from what I remember (it might be 'near it...but) it is, as mentioned just for 'static'. Based on the discussion, that is why I was confused.
Fuel passes through that tiny jet to push on the blue flap to fill the bucket.
Attached Thumbnails 04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?-.jpg   04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?-this2.jpg  

Last edited by vmapper; 02-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

when I removed & bypassed the internal FPR from my 05 to run an external FPR, I just clipped that ground wire and left it alone. mistake?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jclayc
when I removed & bypassed the internal FPR from my 05 to run an external FPR, I just clipped that ground wire and left it alone. mistake?
no mistake. I run an after Rail regulator for a return style setup. One siphons from one side of the tank to the other visa versa. Keep the levels even on this saddle style tank.
Attached Thumbnails 04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?-twinpumpswxover.png  
Old 02-15-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

So who has done the hot wire install? I did mine last night but instead of trying to get it on an almost impossible alternator stud, I just ran it straight to the battery. That cable runs straight from the battery to the alternator so I figured it was just about as good. They supplied two battery bolts with the extra bolt in the end to add accessories. I used one on the positive for the pump harness and I'm using the other on the negative so I can run a daisy chain to the grounds.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raven154
So who has done the hot wire install? I did mine last night but instead of trying to get it on an almost impossible alternator stud, I just ran it straight to the battery. That cable runs straight from the battery to the alternator so I figured it was just about as good. They supplied two battery bolts with the extra bolt in the end to add accessories. I used one on the positive for the pump harness and I'm using the other on the negative so I can run a daisy chain to the grounds.
I did, but it is on the alternator, I did when I was putting headers on, so it was easy. On my T-type I did a very similar kit and found that hooking it up the battery under mid-high rpm stabbing the throttle dipped the amps, but I cannot see it being a problem, it quickly recovered.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
Battery is fine.
I have a habit of upgrading and adding grounds from the ole stereo days.. so usually have 8 Ga. running around.

Quick Reply: 04 cts v racetronix pump wiring?