Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

clutch hydraulics suddenly on the fritz

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch hydraulics suddenly on the fritz

Turning out of my subdivision and accelerated, nothing outrageous, think I was in second...I ran it up some RPMs, go to shift and damn, I was stuck out of gear!

Clutch pedal was off the floor, it feels like partial disengagement but shifting is a real chore now. When not in motion, I can get into first but that's about it, reverse takes a lot of effort.

Not seeing any evidence of leaks. The reservoir is full, a little dark like new motor oil, but clear .
It feels like I've lost about 15-20% of my clutch hydraulics......not sure what to do, where to start. Searching threads like crazy!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I put some suction on the clutch MC reservoir with my mityvac and some cobbled together parts. Removed and refilled fluid a few times and it feels tons better...Frankly I'm shocked, I pray it holds out.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

What clutch, MC and slave are you running?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by philistine
What clutch, MC and slave are you running?
Its all stock....no remote bleeder either.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the air out that you just put in there?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Don't see how I added air. Never opened the nipple.

I think the vacuum must fully collapse the slave which allows some extra fluid to come up into the reservoir. Suck that out with a medicine syringe (like for dogs or kids).
Add new fluid.....first pump the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. (Refilling the slave)second pump the pedal can right back.
First time I did this I was able to start the car and shift with no problems....I got into the garage and did a few more cycles and the fluid stayed clear. Have not driven yet.
I found this method on CF, and I did not think it would do anything.
Either it helped right off the bat, or its a complete fluke and the car fixed itself after sitting for 24 hours.
There must still be old fluid at the bottom, unless the new stuff is heavy and can sink through it (sounds doubfult)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
How did you get the air out that you just put in there?
Can you explain?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

My success was short lived.

I made it out of my subdivision and just down the road when symptoms returned, so I quickly returned home. It went from shifting great to getting blocked in about 40 clutches.

I'll get it back on the ramps, but I've seen no trace of a leak thus far. Just a big WTF?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Last night I spent a lot of time trying to bleed the clutch after the installation of the PMC. The pedal came back to life very quickly, but I wasn't able to pull much fluid through the system which didn't make much sense...
Stationary, engine running, the car was shifting much better.
I took it out on the street, performed much better than before. The clutch was grabbing quite higher off the floor than before.
But then my success ended, difficult shifting returned, and at an intersection I got fully blocked. Had to shut off engine to get into first and restart.... I could feel the clutch dragging on restart. I had to shift 1-4 meshing shaft speeds with throttle, to get home....had to shutdown and restart in gear to get car into driveway (in 1st)
I mityvac'd the reservoir again (because that seemed to help short term before)....vacuum went to about 15in/hg but slowly fell...so I pump the mity a bunch and feel a big bubble....as I pump more and more bubbles...big enough to feel (think w@ter b0-ng). Now the car is stuck on the driveway.
I installed the PMC knowing it might not be my fix if the slave is malfunctioning. But I don't get how I'm losing clutch function...(hydraulic pressure)...with a possible open in the system but no sign fluid loss (neither escaped fluid nor reduced volume in reservoir.)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you loosened the bleed valve too far? Or perhaps a loose connection in the MC. But at the same time, you've had the same symptoms with stock MC and PMC, so it would *appear* to be slave related. Sucky situation for sure.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me once, it was grinding in nearly every gear. I used my foot to pull out on the pedal and all was back to normal. I flushed the system later that day and all has been fine ever since. Not sure if that will help, but it sounds identical to the problem I had. If it works, it's far from a permanent fix.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles? Maybe time for a new clutch/slave setup?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Mileage is 101k.

Personally I think the slave is broken/damaged/ or compromised. Philistine sent me some instructions to bleed the master which I intend to do, but yet to try. So my nice car sits on the driveway while I drive my old 1990 C1500....which I've been repairing and commuting.

After installing the the PMC, I was pumping it slowly (engine off)...and I started to hear this sound upon full clutch depression. "Tink" and it would do it after about every 5 to 8 pumps....it sounds weird...but I started it up and shifted smooth, but quickly degraded on a short drive.

Its pretty frustrating.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 98k when my clutch was changed it still grabbed fine but was pretty much toast otherwise. You won't regret the LS7 clutch swap if you go that route. Just make sure if you're the one doing the work that you have the pilot bearing swap tool and a new one to replace the OEM piece. The C6 slave should fit just fine.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BudRacing
At 98k when my clutch was changed it still grabbed fine but was pretty much toast otherwise. You won't regret the LS7 clutch swap if you go that route. Just make sure if you're the one doing the work that you have the pilot bearing swap tool and a new one to replace the OEM piece. The C6 slave should fit just fine.
Thanks for the tip on the tool pilot bearing tool. If I end up having to get into the transmission I'm weighing the LS7 versus the Monster S2.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP sometimes on slave cylinder problems the fluid leak is relatively minor and contained inside the bell housing. Update us with any fix

Quick Reply: clutch hydraulics suddenly on the fritz