Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V as a daily. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V as a daily. What to look for?

Im considering getting a 04-07 cts-v as a daily driver. It will have to have under 100k miles but besides that what should i look for? What are the common problems?

thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Look for mods, the more mods the less likely it will be a flawless daily driver. Also look at the stream of drivers. younger obviously means more burnouts and issues.

My advice, look for a 2009-13 V and start from there. Parts are becoming an issue, and you will be getting a newer machine that make more efficient power and mileage...
Old 02-15-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Find a stock car (or one with some of these mods) and plan on doing the following to make it a comfortable, quite, vibration free yet aggressive daily driver.

LS7 clutch kit. The stock dual mass sucks.

Visit the following link to Creative Steel and get their soft motor mounts, their soft cradle bushings and their new shifter with noise isolator. All the stock stuff is too soft and all the harder polys are too stiff for DD duty...its a Cadillac.

https://creative-steel.com/product-c...-v-year-04-07/

Fill the stock transmission mount with window weld (still mounted in the car with the weight of the transmission still on it) as in my opinion the CS mount is too tall and mine separated.

Send the driveshaft out for a soft poly insert because the stock one is almost certainly shot and the aftermarket options are less than ideal for DD duty....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-bearing.html

I've tried other combinations but in my mind, the above will be the way to go for a refined daily driver. Drive the car and if you want a faster car, go find it and leave this one alone.

Learn to live with the driveline clunk unless you are willing to spend 4k on an 8.8 swap. Shy away from clutch dump burnouts and no lift shifting unless you like working on the car or spending money on repairs.

Mine has 223k on it, 60K of it in the last year. The link below is to the maintenance I've done to the car. Happy with it thus far.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ul-thread.html

There will be a lot of disagreement here but I drive a lot and don't want a noisy *** car. Good Luck!

Last edited by ls1247; 02-15-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
Find a stock car (or one with some of these mods) and plan on doing the following to make it a comfortable, quite, vibration free yet aggressive daily driver.

LS7 clutch kit. The stock dual mass sucks.

Visit the following link to Creative Steel and get their soft motor mounts, their soft cradle bushings and their new shifter with noise isolator. All the stock stuff is too soft and all the harder polys are too stiff for DD duty...its a Cadillac.

https://creative-steel.com/product-c...-v-year-04-07/

Fill the stock transmission mount with window weld (still mounted in the car with the weight of the transmission still on it) as in my opinion the CS mount is too tall and mine separated.

Send the driveshaft out for a soft poly insert because the stock one is almost certainly shot and the aftermarket options are less than ideal for DD duty....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-bearing.html

I've tried other combinations but in my mind, the above will be the way to go for a refined daily driver. Drive the car and if you want a faster car, go find it and leave this one alone.

Learn to live with the driveline clunk unless you are willing to spend 4k on an 8.8 swap. Shy away from clutch dump burnouts and no lift shifting unless you like working on the car or spending money on repairs.

Mine has 223k on it, 60K of it in the last year. The link below is to the maintenance I've done to the car. Happy with it thus far.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ul-thread.html

There will be a lot of disagreement here but I drive a lot and don't want a noisy *** car. Good Luck!
I agree with all of this except for the trans mount. I did not have the awful experience that this gentleman did. I stuck in a revshift insert and it went/works fine.

Also, change all your fluids when you get it. Brakes, clutch, trans, rear diff, engine oil, coolant.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with 95a (hard) urethane motor mounts, rear subframe, differential, sway bar bushings, and a CS trans mount (not 95a urethane, they use a softer compound I believe).

Also have:
12lbs Katech Flywheel
LS9 clutch
Philistine master cylinder
Hurst short throw
Stainless works header back exhaust

And the car is getting the stock LS6 yanked on Monday. Its been sold. Has 100,200 miles, doesn't smoke, uses very little oil, doesn't leak, runs strong.

I'm putting a 403 (6.6L) stroker in it. Still gonna daily drive it and take it to the track. As long as the Mods are done right, no worries. It will be fine. But if someone cuts corners and does a half assed job, it doesn't matter how good the parts are, its gonna run and drive like ****.

As far as what to look for, try and get one where at least the rear subframe bushings and motor mounts have been done. That helps like 90% of wheel hop and motor shake. My stock motor mounts were so bad, my headers would hit my steering shaft on the drivers side... So yea, new ones. Motor mounts are the #1 issue, #2 is wheel hop, rear subframe bushings help a lot. The stock shifter does the job, but only barely. You want to put in shifter bushings at the very least, add a short throw as well. Other than that, its an LS block with a manual trans, it ain't gonna break a whole lot.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heybro
... what should i look for? What are the common problems? ...
1) Differential may whine a bit, just make sure it isn't too loud.

2) When shutting off motor, a shuddering sound may indicate bad motor mounts.

3) NAV buttons will probably be chipped. Can replace them for not too much money.

The rest is pretty much normal stuff you'd look for in any stick-shift car like rear tire wear, slipping clutch, general condition of body and interior, odd noises during test drive, smoothness of synchros, maintenance records (if any), perceived honesty of owner, etc.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

60k miles in the last year. What, do you live in your damn car.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
Its registered as a Recreational Vehicle
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
Just about lol.

I commute 63 miles each way 5 sometimes 6 or 7 days a week and I drive to our home office in Detroit every couple of months or so...

Yes, I live in it...
Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I went with 95a (hard) urethane motor mounts
How much stiffer do they feel than the stock mounts? I am going to be doing motor mounts and cant decide on the hardness. I dont track the car just drive like 10 miles/day to and from the university
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
My advice, look for a 2009-13 V and start from there. Parts are becoming an issue, and you will be getting a newer machine that make more efficient power and mileage...
More efficient mileage from a V2? I get better city mileage from my '06 than the average V2 gets on the highway. Insurance, tires and depreciation are all far cheaper on a V1 for being a DD. You can get a great condition V1 for $15k.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by go4lucas

How much stiffer do they feel than the stock mounts? I am going to be doing motor mounts and cant decide on the hardness. I dont track the car just drive like 10 miles/day to and from the university
Its personal preference. I prefer a solid car, don't mind the vibration and noise. But my wife doesn't even notice. So there is that, just as a comparison.

Originally Posted by MN_V

More efficient mileage from a V2? I get better city mileage from my '06 than the average V2 gets on the highway. Insurance, tires and depreciation are all far cheaper on a V1 for being a DD. You can get a great condition V1 for $15k.
I think he means they make more efficient power... As in, its easier to modify them. And mileage being, lower total miles.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I certainly agree they make more efficient power. Just their blower alone is more efficient than options for V1. For me my LS2 with headers have plenty of power. I improved the handling with some sway bars. I like twisty roads and want it to be as responsive as possible. Very happy overall and it's good as my DD.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the V1 is far more fun IMHO. I'm getting ready to take my motor out tomorrow. I wouldn't have the money to modify a V2. To me, half the enjoyment is wrenching on my own cars.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
... I'm getting ready to take my motor out tomorrow ...
I saw it get to 3 deg today for a high temp, and that was only for less than an hour this afternoon. Must be nice to work on your car at this time of year.

What you have in store? (It's probably posted somewhere; I just don't recall what.)

EDIT: Oh ... found it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ker-again.html

Last edited by rand49er; 02-15-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add line
Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup it was about 80 degrees here yesterday
Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rand49er
I saw it get to 3 deg today for a high temp, and that was only for less than an hour this afternoon. Must be nice to work on your car at this time of year.

What you have in store? (It's probably posted somewhere; I just don't recall what.)

EDIT: Oh ... found it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ker-again.html
Yep, that's it... Hoping for 500 at the wheels. But all accounts, that may be fairly conservative guessing lol we'll see. 4.005 bore 4.000 stroke, forged rotating assembly. L76 heads, but I'm gonna put LS3 intake valves in (lighter) and have a nice clean valve job done. And I'm gonna have a gnarly cam spec'd. If it ain't enough, I'll throw a 125-150 shot at it and see what's up.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Teching In

thanks guys great stuff. i agree with the comment of a v1 for around 15k and i see most v2's for around 30k so v1 is my only option right now. i have a c5 now and plan upgrading that soon also. what kinda mpg do you get? do the v1s exterior just come in black silver red and just one type of blue?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

2004 to 2006 came in black, stealth grey (not blue), silver, and red. 2007 came in the same colors except stealth grey was replaced with thunder grey, which I have and it's beautiful.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heybro
thanks guys great stuff. i agree with the comment of a v1 for around 15k and i see most v2's for around 30k so v1 is my only option right now. i have a c5 now and plan upgrading that soon also. what kinda mpg do you get? do the v1s exterior just come in black silver red and just one type of blue?
I get around 18mpg on my commute and up to 24mpg on the highway.

Quick Reply: CTS-V as a daily. What to look for?