Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Throttle response controllers?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle response controllers?

My buddy's got a '12 Camaro SS and he was telling me last night about these "throttle response controllers" that he keeps reading about on the forums and in magazines, etc. Apparently they're all the rave amongst the Camaro group. I did a quick Google and reviews are mixed (as they always are), but a surprising number of folks seem to be really happy with the results they get from installing one of these things. Anyone have any experience with these things? Are they actually effective at what they claim to do, or is it another marketing ploy like most aftermarket intakes, etc?

Last edited by wes8398; 02-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Links to the ones you're looking at would be helpful.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never noticed any DBW throttle lag but I don't hoon all that much besides a donut now and then.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
I've never noticed any DBW throttle lag but I don't hoon all that much besides a donut now and then.

Yah, I can't say I notice much of one with our cars either. Perhaps that's why I can't find one made for the V1.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would almost be interested in one that slows the throttle response down. They like to tune the electronic throttles to open a lot more early to make it feel sportier but at autox I would rather have more throttle control range.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I would almost be interested in one that slows the throttle response down. They like to tune the electronic throttles to open a lot more early to make it feel sportier but at autox I would rather have more throttle control range.
this is how my impreza was. it was mapped so that just about any input to the pedal was 30% throttle and it was terrible to drive from a dead stop. i remapped it completely linear and it was so much nicer to drive.

i have no idea what the throttle mapping looks like on the V, though. who can show the chart via hptuners?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The V1s have a LOT of electronic throttle control tip-in torque management enabled in any other gear other than 1st and 4th. IMO this tends to cause a lot of the issues with throttle linearity. Since the response varies through the gears it is really tough to get a solid feel for the throttle. I now have my 4th gear map used in all forward gears and really like the results. If I get crazy I can break the tires loose with just the throttle in the first 4 gears but I can also drive it to the limit of traction reliably. Before I always went from sluggish response to roasting the tires.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have no idea what the throttle mapping looks like on the V, though. who can show the chart via hptuners?
Throttle mapping pic

The throttle mapping uses a primarily logarithmic progression to provide linear power response.

The throttle tip-in torque limit however is all over the place.

Tip In Torque Limit

Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

ugh, i really should pick up hptuners and learn to goof around with it. i know what i'm seeing for the most part, but i have never tuned a car on my own.

is the tip-in torque limit the one your car is tuned to or is that what the stock table looks like?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

X2. Know what I'm looking at just never ***** up to tuning. Or tinkering And at the least, logging.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

I don't have a clue what I'm looking at but I still want to learn it lol for what I'm going to pay to tune my car I could afford it, but then I would still have to tune my car haha
Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
The throttle tip-in torque limit however is all over the place.

Tip In Torque Limit

I don't understand what the X-axis is on the Tip In Torque Limit table. Can you (or someone else) explain, Sssnake?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just pulled up my tune and my options look nothing like yours. Im using Ver 2.24.886
Old 02-22-2015, 02:56 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmargo
I just pulled up my tune and my options look nothing like yours. Im using Ver 2.24.886
2004-2005 controllers are completely different from the 2006-2007 controllers. Literally every table is different between the two. I think the DTC list may be different also.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2004-2005 controllers are completely different from the 2006-2007 controllers. Literally every table is different between the two. I think the DTC list may be different also.
Both true. My HP Tuners may look different because I am running their latest beta (2.25.1516). They changed the GUI on the beta. However, the biggest difference is definitely controller and OS.

I don't understand what the X-axis is on the Tip In Torque Limit table. Can you (or someone else) explain, Sssnake?
Good luck finding a concrete answer. I have searched and can't find one.

The reason I even looked at this table comes from what I always perceived as uneven throttle response. 1st and 4th kicked butt but everywhere else sucked. I decided to play around a bit with the numbers... I ran a few 30 - 100 pulls and timed them then changed the values and made the same runs. The throttle response felt better and the run times were slightly quicker. My problem is the runs were in different atmospheric conditions (the first before dark mid afternoon the second around 8:00 in the evening).

The way I am interpreting this table is:
The x axis is the last torque request sent to the ecu (remember drive by wire translates all of the throttle data into torque requests)
The data values are the maximum adjusted torque request sent to the controller this execution cycle.

So the table filters the request so that you don't go from full throttle to closed throttle based on throttle input. This is to limit drive train stress and increase drivability. Again just a guess but that is what it feels like.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

So to be far less technical than the above conversations... these controllers basically just make it so that when you give it 10% throttle with your foot, the ECU actually demands far more than that 10%, right? This makes me think of when I'm sitting at a stop light with a passenger beside me who's about to take a drink of something... light goes green... SPLASH... drink winds up all over your passenger's face because you just installed one of these stupid things and made a feather's weight on your gas pedal give you 100% throttle. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle response controllers?