Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...

I already have the following parts
-Corsa Catback Exhaust
-K&N Intake
-CS Subframe/Transmission Bushings/Motor Mounts
-Hurst Short Shifter

I was thinking the following
-CS Rear End + CF Driveshaft - 5,175
-FAST Intake Manifold + LS2 TB - 1,350
-Kooks Headers + High Flow Cats - 1,350
-Tune - 650
-Installation of new Parts ??? - 2,500 ???

Grand Total - 11,025

Im not really thinking about taxes here either - so the Rear may be closer to 6k etc which would put me pretty close to 12k if the rest of the mod and install prices are on point.

I want to keep the car NA, hence no Maggie on this list. Just want to make it a fun quick street car that I dont have to worry about blowing up the motor or rear on (knock on wood) I was also thinking of going 4.10 on the Gear Ratio, but should do more research. Also - I think the clutch should hold up fine (car has under 60k miles) but once I do a cam, should probably think about changing that up as well.

Thanks

Last edited by Negligence; 02-23-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't have much luck with the cf one piece. The cv joints gave up after 15k miles. Go with the voodoochikn rebuild and the CS adapter and pocket that grand.

If you don't plan on spending any time over 150mph, the 410s would be awesome I think. 1st would be a launch only gear, you wouldn't even use it around town which I only do now about half the time with the 373s. I live in a hilly area and 410s would work a little better on the interstates around here with all the truck traffic. 6th is a little tall below 65 if you're pulling a hill.

Good luck with the build.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a gen4 block, do a stroker build, have 500+whp all day.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Get a gen4 block, do a stroker build, have 500+whp all day.
Agreed!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, most states don't tax mail order stuff... Least of all Oregon. Creative steel is in Salem, Oregon... Oregon doesn't have sales tax at all.

And getting the gen4 block assumes you're 04-05. An LS2 is a gen4 block and you can get rectangular port heads for them. LS3 heads are the bee's knees
Old 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

HCI - $4k
CS 8.8 reuse factory 2pc - $4k
Twin clutch - $1k
Kdubs - $2k

That will be close to $12k right there and will yield 460-480whp and will give you an awesome drivetrain and suspension to match all those new horsepowers.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sell it, pool those 12 Gs with the proceeds, and get a V2.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rand49er
Can't argue with that
Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waiting for that one
Old 02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input so far guys, greatly appreciated

-Unfortunately I think the V2 scenario is just too many moving parts that would be out of my control / I dont want to deal with haha.

- I really really love my car, im fine with some of the limitations that come with it, I just want to pep her up, primarily so my friend with his Boss 302 cant slap me around (we havent run yet) and so I can give my co-workers Bolt on B8 S4 a run for his money

- Good to know about the CF Driveshaft, will not mind saving the 1k. I guess im just a sucker for Lightweight parts

-Are KDubs Kooks headers? or Coil overs?

- Ive looked through alternate power plants and 4k is always the goal number, but never the real one. If you can show me the math and source of vendors that fall into those numbers, That is def a route I would pursue.

Again, thank you very much guys. I just want to make sure im investing this money in the best places (besides upgrading to the v2 )
Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

my thoughts exactly !
Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Negligence
Thanks for the input so far guys, greatly appreciated

-Unfortunately I think the V2 scenario is just too many moving parts that would be out of my control / I dont want to deal with haha.

- I really really love my car, im fine with some of the limitations that come with it, I just want to pep her up, primarily so my friend with his Boss 302 cant slap me around (we havent run yet) and so I can give my co-workers Bolt on B8 S4 a run for his money

- Good to know about the CF Driveshaft, will not mind saving the 1k. I guess im just a sucker for Lightweight parts

-Are KDubs Kooks headers? or Coil overs?

- Ive looked through alternate power plants and 4k is always the goal number, but never the real one. If you can show me the math and source of vendors that fall into those numbers, That is def a route I would pursue.

Again, thank you very much guys. I just want to make sure im investing this money in the best places (besides upgrading to the v2 )
KW coilovers are "kdubs".

Also, he said HCI for $4k, so he means keep your current motor, get some badass heads, a fat cam, and a FAST intake, or maybe that new MSD Atomic Airforce intake, and let her eat.

If you are getting the CS 8.8, I agree, don't bother with aftermarket driveshafts. Get the Voodoochikin carrier bearing upgrade like others and I have, and use the CS stock adapter.

Also, get the LS9x clutch along with philistine's master cylinder upgrade and your car will be easy to drive, shift like butter, and hold all the power in the world. I wish I had done it to begin with, but whatever.

Your car will "still be a V1" as the V2 owners say, but it will be pretty f'ing nasty and hold its own.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmylez
KW coilovers are "kdubs".

Also, he said HCI for $4k, so he means keep your current motor, get some badass heads, a fat cam, and a FAST intake, or maybe that new MSD Atomic Airforce intake, and let her eat.

If you are getting the CS 8.8, I agree, don't bother with aftermarket driveshafts. Get the Voodoochikin carrier bearing upgrade like others and I have, and use the CS stock adapter.

Also, get the LS9x clutch along with philistine's master cylinder upgrade and your car will be easy to drive, shift like butter, and hold all the power in the world. I wish I had done it to begin with, but whatever.

Your car will "still be a V1" as the V2 owners say, but it will be pretty f'ing nasty and hold its own.
This is great stuff, thanks a lot for your input!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

But yes, you'll also need headers, and injectors of course with the added power of HCI. Not that it matters, but I only paid 450 for a dyno tune, so 650 would be expensive. As for install, are you not able to do any sort of wrenching?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with spending that much money on a V1 is that after you put $12k into a $15k car, it's only worth about $18k.

A V2 you buy for $32k is pretty much worth $32k.

Basically just be prepared to keep the car for the long term to make the mods worthwhile for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmylez
But yes, you'll also need headers, and injectors of course with the added power of HCI. Not that it matters, but I only paid 450 for a dyno tune, so 650 would be expensive. As for install, are you not able to do any sort of wrenching?
Oh yeah, will def do the intake, exhaust, shifter, intake manifold myself

The bushings/rear/headers however I'm not messing with on my own

Last edited by Negligence; 02-23-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MN_V
The problem with spending that much money on a V1 is that after you put $12k into a $15k car, it's only worth about $18k.

A V2 you buy for $32k is pretty much worth $32k.

Basically just be prepared to keep the car for the long term to make the mods worthwhile for you.
Some hard truths for sure. But I know I'll have this car for the long haul, I live in nyc but keep my car in a garage in nj. Barely drive it but not having a car was driving me crazy. Pretty sure I'll have one of the lowest mile v1s two years from now

Cars make me happy, totally understand the lack of return when it comes to investment in aftermarket parts though. Buuuuuut im gonna do it anyway
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Haha yeah buy a V2 get lost in the crowd I park my V1 around V2s and most the V2 owners don't even know what it is haha do your own thing man
Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by philistine
HCI - $4k
CS 8.8 reuse factory 2pc - $4k
Twin clutch - $1k
Kdubs - $2k

That will be close to $12k right there and will yield 460-480whp and will give you an awesome drivetrain and suspension to match all those new horsepowers.
Best advice here
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Negligence
Oh yeah, will def do the intake, exhaust, shifter, intake manifold myself

The bushings/rear/headers however I'm not messing with on my own
Headers aren't bad at all as long as you spray the **** out of the bolts with PB Blaster for a couple days in a row, which sounds like you can do with it sitting in a garage all the time. You can do mounts at the same time you do those, so it's 2 birds with 1 stone. Subframe bushings suck, but also not super horrible. So far my toughest project on this car has been cam swap and clutch swap. The 8.8 swap sounds daunting, but that also is a bolt-in affair with no special tools needed, but it definitely will take a whole day.

Quick Reply: What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...