Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Creative Steel v. Katech Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative Steel v. Katech Shifter

I've got a Katech short shifter currently, but there's still a good amount of slop and play, so I was thinking of installing the Creative Steel short shifter. Has anyone gone from the Katech shifter to the CS shifter? If so, was it worth it?

For what its worth, I searched the forums, and while I saw one thread on the CS shifter, I didn't see any comparisons to other shifters. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Katech reuses the bushings from the base of the stock shifter. Those are what wear out, get brittle and break. I can make you a set to replace them with Delrin for $50 or you can try other shifters that do not use the stock bushings.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hint, Hint ^
Old 03-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

^^ Buy the Hurst from 07CTS-V.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Yep, I'm torn between the Hurst and CS shifter. We shall see.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you wait another week or two i'll be swapping my hurst for the CS shifter and can give you impressions of both.

i have nothing against the hurst, though. it's a great unit. i just like the ability to finely tune my throw and **** height with the CS unit.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bio248
if you wait another week or two i'll be swapping my hurst for the CS shifter and can give you impressions of both.

i have nothing against the hurst, though. it's a great unit. i just like the ability to finely tune my throw and **** height with the CS unit.
I am very curious to hear your feedback. You gonna post it here, or start a new thread?
Old 03-14-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just like the ability to finely tune my throw and **** height with the CS unit.
interested in this novelty as well. looking forward to some opinions on the CS shifter
Old 03-14-2015, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398
I am very curious to hear your feedback. You gonna post it here, or start a new thread?
i don't feel that it's new thread worthy. i'll bring it into this thread.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Please do because I have the exact issue myself, with the exception of, I still have the stock shifter . I am torn between these two as well. I kinda went backwards because I did the Philistine Tilton kit, built stage 2 trans from TDP w/ their clutch setup, and new trans mount. So I need a better shifter stat!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by agent7
Please do because I have the exact issue myself, with the exception of, I still have the stock shifter . I am torn between these two as well. I kinda went backwards because I did the Philistine Tilton kit, built stage 2 trans from TDP w/ their clutch setup, and new trans mount. So I need a better shifter stat!
You were into it that far and left the stock shifter in there? I hope the shame is bearable in the meantime.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

most likely it'll be installed this weekend. the hurst is a solid unit, no doubt. i don't think there's going to be any significant OMG this is way better moments with the CS unit, but knowing that i can twist the threads up and down as i please to get it EXACTLY where i want is going to be the part i'm looking forward to.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Teching In

So I installed the CS shifter last night, and it was very much worth it. A big improvement from the Katech shifter. I still have a little side to side play (which is coming from where the center linkage connects to the transmission so not the CS shifter's fault), but no more forward/reverse play or up/down play that I had with the Katech. Now, each shift is tight and well-defined. No more shifting in a bucket of tar.

My only gripe would be that CS didn't include instructions. They aren't necessary, but it seems like there are some shortcuts possible that may help with the installation. CS customer service was great.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on the hurst v. CS shifter as I've never used the hurst. Just katech v. CS.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it transmit driveline noise?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I don't get any driveline noise. It's got an isolator like the Katech.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by isis
You were into it that far and left the stock shifter in there? I hope the shame is bearable in the meantime.
Yeah man it's not all my fault. I bought the car with some of the mods already done and the original owner apparently liked it for some reason or another. I will be ordering a new one asap. Long story short, soon after I bought the car the slave went out and it had a huge domino effect because the reason for the failure was misdiagnosed by my local GM performance shop. Which lead to another slave issue and a messed up mid plate. So i said screw it and did a built trans, clutch, c6 slave, and philistine tilton master. I had spent so much money at this point I needed a small break to let my bank account heal.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

the CS short shifter review and comparison to the hurst...

the CS short shifter went in yesterday. there were a few snags with install based on the design, but it's in and it works.

Pros: really solid feel, completely adjustable, removes all slack in the joints.

Cons: grease zerk is straight up in the way and you can't even get to it with a grease gun when it's installed. i had to trim some of the plate that mounts the shifter to the car for it. the weather boot basically doesn't fit worth a damn anymore, either. the way they want you to assemble the lower bushings, that are bronze with orings, makes it a BITCH to get the orings to stay.

so as stated, i swapped out the hurst for this one. i'm going to drive on it for a week and make sure i made the right decision, but either way.

the hurst feels notchier and slightly more like it's not 'beefy enough' in comparison to the CS unit. the CS unit is a little more quiet and refined in comparison. it doesn't have a good place to support the boot like the rubber hurst piece. the hurst is 100% easier to install. if i had a super heavy **** on the hurst like is on the CS one they might end up being a closer comparison.

now that it's in the car and i am running it i'll probably leave it. i am enjoying how it's a little more quiet and solid feeling, not that the hurst made any weird noises or didn't feel solid. that being said, keep your hurst, get a better ****.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hurst and another aftermarket rigid shifter did come with a lot of "noise" or vibrations which was fine but after awhile I swapped it back out for the UUC...the CS units has me intrigued.

I have tried, stock, pissnuoff, pissnuoff shortened, hurst, speedloader, and UUC..
Old 03-23-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

i would think that the domestic V8 solutions speed loader would do exactly what this CS unit it trying to do without being overdone. it kinda seems like they attempted to put too many features into this.

but now that it's installed in the car and working i'll probably keep it. it feels solid and 'heavy' and i like it that way.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would think that the domestic V8 solutions speed loader would do exactly what this CS unit it trying to do without being overdone. it kinda seems like they attempted to put too many features into this.

but now that it's installed in the car and working i'll probably keep it. it feels solid and 'heavy' and i like it that way.
I've got one of these and it shifts gears fine as you would expect.

But, it has zero vibration isolation, which means its noisy as hell if you have done any of the bushing upgrades, and the grease fitting is also a PITA but there isn't a good way to facilitate a grease fitting into this design as far as I can tell.

I'll be ditching it for the CS when I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Creative Steel v. Katech Shifter