Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam Swap!!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap!!

Okay so I purchased a 224r Cam from Texas Speed a couple days ago and I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it installed and tuned. My question being since its a mild cam do I need to change/upgrade the oil pump and timing chain? I have 2 stripped plugs that I need to get fixed and would like to do that before upgrading those two things if they aren't something that NEEDS to be done!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta do the plug heli coils regardless so if u dont got the money for anything else then no.. Would it be a good time to do them while its apart.. Well of course. Common sense my friend
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

And just so u know.. You deff need new valve springs so at least cough that one up.. In all seriousness.

Oil pump will be fine and as long as the chain isnt streached or doesnt have 150k on it shouldnt give u trouble either. Just dont live on the rev limiter
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

New L99 oil pump is $80 on sdparts.com, its designed for a displacement on demand motor, so it flows more oil. Btr racing has new .660 lift spring packages with new seals, retainers and seats for $230+/- and btr also has chains for under $100 that are pretty good. Doesn't have to be expensive... Just gotta look around.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
And just so u know.. You deff need new valve springs so at least cough that one up.. In all seriousness.

Oil pump will be fine and as long as the chain isnt streached or doesnt have 150k on it shouldnt give u trouble either. Just dont live on the rev limiter
I did get beehive springs and hardened pushrods as well, forgot to mention that. Also have new motor mounts and uuc short throw with bushings. So really it comes down to the oil pump and chain.. I know I need to fix the plugs but is it a really big deal if I drive the car nice in the meantime? It's not misfiring or throwing a code but they aren't seated 100% like they should be.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fix the plugs. They might break and cause debris to get into the cylinder. Obviously that's a worst case scenario. But if they aren't seated properly, it could cause issues. Now is the time to do it, while the motor is down. While you're at it, see how much the machine shop will charge to do a 3 angle getting in the valve seats. It will help airflow into the cylinder and give you more power

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Swap!!