Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

URGENT: Service Power Steering Notice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: Service Power Steering Notice

On my way home the Service Power Steering warning popped up. Shortly after I noticed an increase in the required turning effort. There is no pump whine and the fluid level was at HOT when I got home. I'd like to fix this ASAP as I have a track-day planned for Sunday that is non-refundable.

Is there a common culprit to the warning popping up? Can I pull codes to see what it is? I'd hate to rush order a new pump only to find out the rack (or other part) is the issue. Are there other parts that could cause the issue? Do V1's have variable power steering?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you with the power steering, but on more than one occasion, I've signed up for track events that were advertised as non-refundable, got wait-listed, then given a spot when someone cancelled last minute. It's worth a phone call to the organizer to see if they can fill your spot if you don't want to chance the last minute mechanical repair.

Good luck either way.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking it might be an electrical issue now. When I took the car for a drive the steering was fine. Then after a couple of hours the warning reappeared and the symptom immediately returned.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew my pump tracking the car and have read many threads about it. Seems to be a common problem as the pump is not designed to run at high rpm for extended periods and wider sticky tires just make it worse. Perhaps check the level when cold?

Quick Reply: URGENT: Service Power Steering Notice