Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stiff clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I thought you were going to buy a new clutch package, not a used one or try to cobble one together.

Whatever you do, this time get it balanced and make sure it is flat.
No, what I mean is, I just got done dicking around with an LS7 clutch setup and your recommendation was to get another one, that's all. I am thinking of buying a new OEM clutch and C6 flywheel.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LS7 is an OE clutch and the fact that you seem to have a bad pressure plate is a mechanical anomaly that could have just as easily happened with a replacement OE CTS-V unit or any other pressure plate for that matter.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way, I'm going to drive the car for a couple weeks before I make my decision. It would be logical to get the same clutch again, just from a different distributor, but the illogical side of my brain is afraid, haha.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
So you're saying put the same thing back in that I just got done running around in circles trying to figure out? I'm sure you can appreciate the irony. It sounds like I just got a bad pressure plate, but now I'm very skittish. The 4th time I have to drop the trans, I'd like it to be something that has a higher chance of having a soft pedal, so that leaves OEM or LS9. One reason I don't want to get the LS9 is I will never, ever, use it to its full potential and it's also difficult to justify the cost when I want to do 5-lug wheel conversion and freshen up the motor.
This is your problem the spacing is not correct. There's a reason why every one goes with aftermarket flywheel. The ls7 clutch is not designed for our dual mass flywheel meaning your pressure plate distance from your slave is not the proper setup.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by serik21
This is your problem the spacing is not correct. There's a reason why every one goes with aftermarket flywheel. The ls7 clutch is not designed for our dual mass flywheel meaning your pressure plate distance from your slave is not the proper setup.
No offense man, but it's clear you haven't read the whole thread. None of the things you listed are the issue.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

No offense man, but it's clear you haven't read the whole thread. None of the things you listed are the issue.
Sorry you just said you bought a used flywheel off a Ls2 stocker. I assumed it was off a Ls2 cts-v
Also did you get a ls7 replacement slave or the shim for the stock cts-v slave?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Also what torque did you tighten the pp to?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either way, I'm going to drive the car for a couple weeks before I make my decision. It would be logical to get the same clutch again, just from a different distributor, but the illogical side of my brain is afraid, haha.
I don't blame man, that transmission is heavy. I gave it a lot of thought before installing the LS7 kit but the stock setup is for sure going to be less than ideal, no doubt about it.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry you just said you bought a used flywheel off a Ls2 stocker. I assumed it was off a Ls2 cts-v
Also did you get a ls7 replacement slave or the shim for the stock cts-v slave?
C6/LS7. The only stock part I was running was the master cyl, but I went through 3 different Tiltons before that.

Also what torque did you tighten the pp to?
As shown in the page out of the shop manual posted by someone on here, 52 ft-lbs, in the correct sequence: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l#post17875457

Originally Posted by ls1247
I don't blame man, that transmission is heavy. I gave it a lot of thought before installing the LS7 kit but the stock setup is for sure going to be less than ideal, no doubt about it.

Good Luck!
This is my 3rd time dropping the transmission. It's not intimidating, it's annoying. It kills the whole weekend. I took Friday off because I knew I would be doing a lot of troubleshooting...otherwise I'd almost be out of time. 4th time is no biggie IF I know it's going to work.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the car back together and fired it up. I forgot how f'ing soft the stock pedal was. Basically feels like there's nothing there, but it went into 1st, 2nd, and reverse very easily. It engages at the proper height off the floor, and no weird noises. Great success!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just for S&G I would do an autopsy on the suspect clutch and determine WTF went wrong.

Although it sounds like it was the pressure plate assembly was binding.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for S&G I would do an autopsy on the suspect clutch and determine WTF went wrong.

Although it sounds like it was the pressure plate assembly was binding.
I have no idea what to look for. The pressure plate looks perfectly fine. The disc isn't shredded, there are no extreme heat spots on the plate or on the flywheel.

As far as you know, what kind of clutch life am I looking at with the mismatched setup? Unknown mileage on the flywheel, 3k miles on the resurface. 80k miles on the factory clutch...I figure its torque capacity will be lower, but my stock disc has tons of meat left on it. I figure it can at least get me from A to B for a while, yeah? I'll most likely get a new C6 clutch/flywheel combo, but wanted time to think on it.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no idea what to look for. The pressure plate looks perfectly fine. The disc isn't shredded, there are no extreme heat spots on the plate or on the flywheel.

As far as you know, what kind of clutch life am I looking at with the mismatched setup? Unknown mileage on the flywheel, 3k miles on the resurface. 80k miles on the factory clutch...I figure its torque capacity will be lower, but my stock disc has tons of meat left on it. I figure it can at least get me from A to B for a while, yeah? I'll most likely get a new C6 clutch/flywheel combo, but wanted time to think on it.
I would have the pressure plate assembly looked at.

If you have shop access, remove the pressure plate and operate it with a hand press or lever to see if you can feel any binding.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess on clutch life on a "frankenstein" setup.

Not an insult, but too many variables.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have the pressure plate assembly looked at.

If you have shop access, remove the pressure plate and operate it with a hand press or lever to see if you can feel any binding.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess on clutch life on a "frankenstein" setup.

Not an insult, but too many variables.
Yeah I don't have any direct shop hookups to do that. Plus, that has a very low priority right now. If it looked like it were a problem with the car instead of the clutch, I would try to inspect it sooner, but it would appear that if I put a brand new clutch in directly from GM instead of a reseller like Gripforce, then all should be well.

And that's not an insult. It definitely is a hodge podge setup right now, but at least it works like it should! Just crossing my fingers it doesn't give me any problems for the next month or so. I'm thinking I should at least partially treat this as a new clutch break-in.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting read. Hope you out the culprit. It's like reading a mystery novel but not finding out who done it.

I know you don't want to spend the coin on an LS9 twin-disk, but they are nice. Smooth as heck.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't think we've determined the culprit? Seems pretty clear to me...I swapped out components until the pedal got better. In this case, the pressure plate.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I reread this thread a few times and you never indicated what or where you got the pressure plate.

I was going to ask you for a list of all components and if they were new or used.

Furthermore, you indicated you got a flywheel that is "OE".

The OEM flywheel is a dual mass POS so if you got a single, your clutch was replaced.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I don't have any direct shop hookups to do that. Plus, that has a very low priority right now. If it looked like it were a problem with the car instead of the clutch, I would try to inspect it sooner, but it would appear that if I put a brand new clutch in directly from GM instead of a reseller like Gripforce, then all should be well.

And that's not an insult. It definitely is a hodge podge setup right now, but at least it works like it should! Just crossing my fingers it doesn't give me any problems for the next month or so. I'm thinking I should at least partially treat this as a new clutch break-in.
Every ones bound to have issues, there's guys who got ls9 clutches had issues there's guys that have ls7 clutches that have issues and then there's a ton more guys who had monster and McLeod clutches who had issues. The thing is if you factor in how many guys have the ls7 or LS9 clutches to how many of them actually had issues with them it's a small percentage but glad you found the issue to your problem.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

I'm gong to drink a beer in your honor. Maybe two, because you dropped the trans so many times.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I've dealt with this too long and it's time to make a thread. Long story:
Stock clutch and everything was working fine, but I like to upgrade things before they break, so I went ahead and got the philistine Tilton kit and installed it some time in November. I noticed an increase in pedal pressure, but it's hard to remember since I swapped in a C6 clutch, flywheel, and slave from Gripforce a few weeks later. With the new clutch, it started becoming more apparent that the pedal was a lot stiffer than it should be.
I reread this thread a few times and you never indicated what or where you got the pressure plate.

I was going to ask you for a list of all components and if they were new or used.

Furthermore, you indicated you got a flywheel that is "OE".

The OEM flywheel is a dual mass POS so if you got a single, your clutch was replaced.
I indicated Gripforce in my first post. I also said it was a C6 flywheel, but it was used. I realize in that sentence I said I got the flywheel from Gripforce, but I just meant that it was a C6 flywheel, not a V flywheel. Also, you can't run a dual mass flywheel with a C6 slave anyway.

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I'm gong to drink a beer in your honor. Maybe two, because you dropped the trans so many times.
This time was especially taxing because I technically dropped it twice. As long as I get a good rest in between, doing it a 4th (5th?) time won't be horrible.

Last edited by bmylez; 05-31-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Stiff clutch pedal