Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone have any experience with a "clear bra" or equivalent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with a "clear bra" or equivalent?

Just had my front fascia and hood repainted and am wondering about having one of those clear bras installed to protect things. I'd have to imagine it's a bit expensive to basically "wrap" the whole front bumper, but I'm also wondering about how long these things last, if they discolour with time, get brittle, and/or damage the paint underneath with their adhesives. Anyone here have any specific experience?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have kits for specific cars, I believe. I was going to do my own install until I watched a free vid that I got from 3M and decided I would undoubtedly screw it up royally. Got mine installed about three weeks after I took delivery in Feb '05, and it's done a magnificent job. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a kit from invisible shield and it looks nice with all the pieces precut. Ill put it on soon as the 20 minute install video makes it look easy which is never good.

They offered 2 different materials and the more expensive one is advertised to hold up really well. They do say to wax it every 3 months.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
They have kits for specific cars, I believe. I was going to do my own install until I watched a free vid that I got from 3M and decided I would undoubtedly screw it up royally. Got mine installed about three weeks after I took delivery in Feb '05, and it's done a magnificent job. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Great, thanks for the feedback Randy. Can I ask what they charged you for this? Does it cover the entire front facia? Any portion of the hood as well?

Originally Posted by ls1247
I just bought a kit from invisible shield and it looks nice with all the pieces precut. Ill put it on soon as the 20 minute install video makes it look easy which is never good.They offered 2 different materials and the more expensive one is advertised to hold up really well. They do say to wax it every 3 months.
Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to hear how install goes. How much was the kit? I'd imagine you'll just have to go at it with a vinyl applicator squeegee and maybe a heat gun...? I'm sure it'll be quite time consuming with all the shape there is to that particular piece.
EDIT: Googling "invisible shield" and I'm not getting any results where you can order a pre-cut kit...? Where'd you get this from?
Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll shine some light on this because I became good friends with the guy who installs them at my dealer, The precut pieces are nice if you want to see seems everywhere. They are by no means easy to install and not to scare you but removing them on a painted car can be dangerous and may take paint off if not done properly.

A seasoned installer can stretch and maneuver the film very nicely allowing the seems to be hidden and not visible.

That being said I had my entire front end wrapped after being repainted, if it is not a flawless paint job and you get dust they will cause air pockets under the wrap, so keep that it mind you will want it detailed nicely to remove all imperfections

They also have some real high quality films and then cheap junk out there. I have had it on my car for two years now (black car) and it still looks fairly new. You will want to wax them and using a qtip and very light amount of rubbing alcohol or detail spray go on the seems to clean the wax residue

pricing wise I had both front fenders, hood, front bumper and behind my rear wheels done all custom cut. would have cost 1500-2000 but like I said I became good friends and traded labor for labor so I only paid for product. (xpel ultimate)
Old 08-30-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

This kit is actually nicer than the one I bought...

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...AC&model=CTS-V

somehow the same company has 2 catalogs so this is the first one I found so that's what I bought...should have looked harder I guess as I didn't get the headlight parts or any of the other extras...

http://www.invisiblemask.com/catalog...ac/cts-v.shtml

Its a 10 year old car so I'm guessing I can make it look good enough.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the links. I'll check it out. I have a sneaking suspicion that installation will be a real bitch, especially if you're picky about seeing seams and wrinkles, etc. But it's worth looking into...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
Great, thanks for the feedback Randy. Can I ask what they charged you for this? Does it cover the entire front facia? Any portion of the hood as well? ...
My install included the front bumper, both headlights, several inches of the leading edge of the hood, both rearview mirrors, all four wheel arches, and the top of the rear bumper. $850 in Feb '05.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

a guy in my area who does killer detail work has moved to a coating that is super long lasting and hard as hell. its not cheap but there are no lines, seems, etc. but like i said it adds a good amount to the already pricey detail.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Installation went well but I cheated and had my buddy the window tinter give me a hand. Would not want to do this by myself as the kit I bought is one huge piece (no seams) but he said it was basically the same as doing windows.

We sprayed the entire front end (baby shampoo and water), attached it to one fender, I rolled the paper out from underneath it and he sprayed it as I went to keep it from sticking to itself. Took 15 minutes to roll it out and get it in place and another hour or so to smooth and adjust it. The car has to stay out of the rain at least overnight, maybe longer.

My paint is in good shape having only 2k miles since a repaint but factory paint it isn't and the bra shows all the little imperfections. If I would have clay barred it before installing, it would have probably been smoother but it looks better than the chips I know it would get without it. You have to look twice to know its there....I'm happy.

The hardest part will be trimming the edges because it isn't a perfect fit, just a damn good one. He suggested letting it sit out in the sun for a few days before messing with it. Dirt will eventually be my enemy but if I can get 2 years out of it, it would have done its job.

So far, I recommend it but only time will tell.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen them on black cars after a couple years. They fade and become very noticeable when exposed to the sun over time. They look great when first installed though. I was a vendor at a Porsche dealer here in Atlanta where the service is offered and have seen my fair share.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had it on my black car for almost two years now with no issues, still not noticeable but the car doesn't come out nearly as often as it used to. Keeping it waxed and maintaining it will abosolutely help. not necessary to polish or go crazy but i'd at least wax and clean it
Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info, guys. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but we'll see what the local pricing is like and go from there. I have a feeling it'll cost more than the paint job did, in which case I'll just re-spray every 3 or 4 years rather than do the vinyl.
Man, to be honest, I've seen a few "wrapped" vehicles in my area lately (it's not a big thing around here)... they look DAMN good. I'd love to wrap this thing in a matte white. I don't think I'd like the price tag though.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

My guy always tells me he won't wrap a full car because he cant charge enough for how much work it entails. Its that in between period that I can't do where you have some chips but not bad enough to get resprayed
Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

After a week of living with this stuff, I honestly don't notice it on the car so I went ahead and ordered the hood/mirror kit as well as the headlight kit. I'll have a shade over $300 in all of it and I have a feeling it'll be well worth it in the long run.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Have you looked into TheCarSkin.com I repainted the nose of my car and was going to clear bra it but it was close to what I paid for the body work I'm thinking about going with TheCarSkin

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with a "clear bra" or equivalent?