Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LED taillight rubber dust seal separation & fixes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Default LED taillight rubber dust seal separation & fixes

In the old GB thread for the LED taillights a couple folks had posted about the rubber dust seal starting to separate away from the taillight housing. (When I say "rubber dust seal" I'm referring to the ~1.5" wide strip of rubber along the inner edge of the taillight that covers the gap between the taillight and the body around the edge of the trunk.)

Originally Posted by LAYGO
Well ****. My passenger side light's dust seal came half way off. Opened the trunk & noticed it was half off, starting at the top. Might have to take it off to see what the deal is.
Originally Posted by SIGFOD
Mine started at the bottom. Looks like it just came unwelded.

I used some gorilla snot to put it back on, wasn't very hard.
I hadn't looked at mine in a while. The other day I popped the trunk and noticed that the dust seal on both lights is probably 1/3 of the way detached. (I also noticed the trunk lid has ******* water in it - again - awesome. ) The dust seal separation is mostly at the top, but a little at the bottom, too.

SIGFOD, if you're still around, has the Gorilla Glue held up? Has anyone else made an attempt to re-attach the dust seals and found a solution that holds up over time?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same, fix it a few days ago with superglue, think it works, tried to pull with my fingers, but is still in place!

It's the same crap from yellow continent like the halo headlights, there will be similar issues since I pulled them last week, the rubber tubes from ventilation at backside were only a few frazzles!

What is expected from parts which costs only 200$ a pair?

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue a couple weeks ago and also used the gorilla (the superglue type). Had it on both bottom and top of one light. So far seems to be holding up but my car is also a garage queen. Glue worked great and seemed to hold pretty strong. The glue seems to be more of an epoxy than the regular superglue type.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you just posted this. I doused those ******* in gap filling CA glue (super glue) over the weekend. There are a couple gaps, but I was getting impatient. So far my only complaint about the lights, though I did not get them in the group buy, but they're the same ones.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Alrightythen, I'll pull 'em off and hit 'em with some super glue, too.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the GB organizer, if you guys remember. I'll open up a line of communication with the vendor to see what they have to say about the issue. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I'll make them aware at least. Mine haven't separated, but I remember thinkin that I'd have to keep an eye on them when I installed 'em. I can also say I'm really happy with them so far too. No complaints at all. LOTS of compliments though. Now that I've got the halo headlights too, it's like a new car.

Quick Reply: LED taillight rubber dust seal separation & fixes