Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is the V Wagon the perfect AWD LS candidate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the V Wagon the perfect AWD LS candidate?

Okay hear me out for a second here...

I have been doing some research here and there is a huge desire for someone to offer an AWD, manual, LS-powered vehicle. I mean visit any vehicle forum and you'll find someone trying to attempt a build with this combination (SRT's included). It's the holy trifecta that has yet to really be executed without huge custom fabrication work.

After digging around a little I have found examples of a t-56 mated to AWD vehicles through a BW 4472 transfer case. Here is a wonderful example...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/...clone-feature/

And we have seen AWD LS-powered setups in the form of the Trailblazer SS and Saab 9-7 Aero but those options remove the availability of a clutch pedal. I have also thought about the idea of converting a first gen AWD SRX to LS/6spd format since it's built on the same Sigma platform.

Sorry if this is an old topic but this is something I am really interested in. I formerly owned a 1st gen V and I want to get back in the LS-powered/manual world but I live in a snowy climate so AWD is a must.

The question: Could you take a CTS-V (wagon form preferred) and add AWD (through means of a BW 4472 or something similar) with components from a parted-out AWD CTS?

I would love to hear thoughts on this!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Anything's possible with enough money and/or fabrication talent. You might take a look in the Conversions & Hybrids forum to see what people have come up with there.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're onto something. The CTS wagon, with an LS (with or without SC) a 6 speed, and AWD would be quite the package. Without the supercharger it could be more reasonable on gas. The LSA motor is a bit of a pig but surely puts out the power.

Most subaru LS conversions are RWD as keeping the AWD is just too cost-prohibitive. I have yet to see anyone attempt it with an LS4 (impala/monte FWD) though.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it were me I'd ****** up a $3500 SRX and a crashed up V and start swapin parts. The brakes, wheels, exhaust, engine cradle, etc. I would think all that junk would x-fer over being they're both sigma platform. Even a 5.3/4L60E/4472 would make for one hell of a sleeper grocery getter
Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see it. There is no room for any of that noise. The motor is too low, even changing pans to the dry sump I doubt would be enough for any kind of axel to hold any kind of power. And space for a transfer case? Past a long **** t-56? The axel going forward would be insane and need a carrier bearing. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the fab work needed to do this to any platform would be amazing.

You'd be better off building something from scratch like a tube frame, or rear facing rear engine type design. A one off. Would be an animal, no doubt about that.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I don't see it. There is no room for any of that noise. The motor is too low, even changing pans to the dry sump I doubt would be enough for any kind of axel to hold any kind of power. And space for a transfer case? Past a long **** t-56? The axel going forward would be insane and need a carrier bearing. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the fab work needed to do this to any platform would be amazing.

You'd be better off building something from scratch like a tube frame, or rear facing rear engine type design. A one off. Would be an animal, no doubt about that.
Maybe if you lifted it 6 inches? But yeah massive fab work for sure
Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

Considering the CTS has an awd platform in place, wouldn't designing around that seem feasible? The 3.6 isn't that much smaller than an LS is it?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's true. Never thought of that. That actually makes this sound easily achievable. It's easier to strengthen and upgrade parts than its is to start from scratch.

Quick Reply: Is the V Wagon the perfect AWD LS candidate?