Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V1 5x115/120 Conversion Parts/Methods

Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, after looking on a 1:1 drawing it tells me, that it won't work on technical side!

Either one hole is completely overlapping or 2 are half, so there will be no strength fit for the bolts, sorry...

Regards,
Ronald
Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
So what's bad about the cheapest way? Nothing?
You are messin with forces way above your head.

Just buy the vette hubs and start with a firm base for your lives depend on it
The cheapest method in the original post includes buying Vette hubs, so you're telling him to do what the cheapest method says to do.

Soooo... to clarify, what do you think is "messin with forces way above your head" using the cheapest method, Naf?

Last edited by AAIIIC; 04-18-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
You are messin with forces way above your head.

Just buy the vette hubs and start with a firm base for your lives depend on it
The cheapest method in the original post includes buying Vette hubs, so you're telling him to do what the cheapest method says to do.

Soooo... to clarify, what do you think is "messin with forces way above your head" using the cheapest method, Naf?If you're talking about re-drilling the rotors with the 5x120 or 5x4.75" bolt pattern, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.[/quote]

I was against redrillin the original hubs for the new bolt pattern, choppy had me over the edge with that idea. Dont get me wrong i am pro proper hubs.

I wont argue with redrillin your brake rotors, its workin for you all. Thats one of the reasons i swapped to the 5 lug pattern, brake components are still available and offer better performance than stock.

Still have a set of v2 rotors for v1 bolt pattern from rb. Have a protective layer of rust now, but never used...😉
Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DOHCsky
Has anyone tried the hurst 2 piece rotors for the camaros? The mustang guys seem to love them and the price is hard to beat. They sell fronts and rears.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produc...yr=&md=&sm=&e=
I missed this post before. Based on the description of the rotors, it sounds to me like those are RacingBrake rotors. The center mount rotors and open slot design are both "features" unique to RB, and the appearance and weight are the same as what's shown on RB's site. $439 for the re-branded Hurst version, $1233 for the RB version. I personally won't ever buy anything from RB again, but the Hurst parts are priced nicely. I wonder if Hurst also gets a deal on the replacement rotor rings?

Originally Posted by Naf
I was against redrillin the original hubs for the new bolt pattern, choppy had me over the edge with that idea. Dont get me wrong i am pro proper hubs.
OK, that I concur with. But that wasn't what LS1pwrd NOVA was asking about, hence my confusion about your reply to his post.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

It just happened that nova was caught in my barrage to choppy because as I was driving I said it was a bad idea when I stop driving I explained why was really a bad idea.
nova and us were on the same page that to buy the hubs and call it a day
Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed with all the above. redrilling the stock hubs is a terrible idea.

however, if you wanted to get C5 hubs and redrill them for another 5 lug pattern (like 5x114.3, the best pattern for wheels) you can since the new lug holes will be properly spaced and not overlap like they would with the stock hubs. however, i've never really looked into it, but it would be nice to know if the base model hubs (5x115 patter, can still run 5x114.3) would work, too. we all know that the axles work in a pinch if you need to get the car moving so it seems like the hubs would be a match as well.

i'm not sure i want to venture down the path of trying to see if it works when i'm already done with my swap, though...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I missed this post before. Based on the description of the rotors, it sounds to me like those are RacingBrake rotors. The center mount rotors and open slot design are both "features" unique to RB, and the appearance and weight are the same as what's shown on RB's site. $439 for the re-branded Hurst version, $1233 for the RB version. I personally won't ever buy anything from RB again, but the Hurst parts are priced nicely. I wonder if Hurst also gets a deal on the replacement rotor rings?.
The default picture on an amazon listing for these rotors even has the RB logo stamped on them, I went ahead and bought all 4 for 900 shipped, hopefully they dont kill me.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Teching In

One member calls out "spindles" and another calls out "wheel lugs". I had to read through it a couple times to translate that they were referring to studs and lug nuts. Just an observation that might make it cleaerr for others. No criticism intended.

Bio248 - thanks for the best presentation I have run across for this modification. I'll be doing a version of method #2.

I only have a couple questions....are the Corvette hubs really 5 on 4-3/4" (5 on 120) or are they BMW 5 on 120.6. Do people actually interchange the patterns back and forth?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

they're 5x4.75, which is 5x120.65.

i run 5x120 wheels just fine, though.

the patterns are interchangeable in the same fashion that 5x115 and 5x114.3 (5x4.5) can be.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Ahhhh, 5 on 4-3/4" is just a hair over 5 on 120mm. My bolt circle gauge set for Chevy fits a BMW wheel. I have no idea now where I got the 120.6MM number - data bank failure I guess. Yes on the Ford 4.5" pattern commonly called 5 on 114.3mm now. Color me not as confused now.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 05-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Have you completed a conversion yet? Any unexpected problems or glitches? I have my new set of Corvette hubs and I'm getting read to get them re-drilled to 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern to have the best possible wheel choices including a set of BBS RS 18's I already have.

I'm having trouble buying into the 120.00/120.65 or 115/114.3 direct interchange especially for tapered seat wheels which can not fully seat on two different bolt circles. I'm not trying to start a pissing match just making an observation based on trial fitting a bare 120 wheel on a 4-3/4/120.65 hub.

Charlie

Originally Posted by Bio248
they're 5x4.75, which is 5x120.65.

i run 5x120 wheels just fine, though.

the patterns are interchangeable in the same fashion that 5x115 and 5x114.3 (5x4.5) can be.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

You have a choice, you either match wheels to the hubs at 120.65 or you use 120 bolt pattern.

The 114.3 is not relevant since you are using vette hubs.

I used v2 brake components and vette wheels for a better seat, but thats my direction.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

yes, i'm done with it. i've been 5 lug fro over a year now with two different sets of 5x120 wheels that work just fine.

you're not only going to find more selection in 5x120, but you're also going to find more that fit properly. vette wheels have offsets that are too high and the wheels are too wide (in most cases) so they just aren't the best direction to go (to me).
Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Teching In

I wrote this up to toss into the files section on my facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/541090912712385/) so I figured I'd toss it up on here for people to search later on. could be useful as a sticky, too.

__________________________________________________ _______________

04-07 CTS-V 5 LUG CONVERSION

There are a few differnt methods to doing this that range in complexity and cost based on how you want to get it done and what's needed. This can basically be treated as a hub swap, but there is a small amount of machining that needs to be completed regardless of how you want to do it. I will only be explaining methods that allow you do keep a functional parking brake. I do not recommend doing it in a method that does not retain all of the functionality that the car came with stock. If you want to go down that path that is your choice. I know it is a manual car and you can leave it in gear, but we all know that's not the correct thing to do.

Obviously you can increase/decrease cost based on the parts you decide to buy. I used mid-grade hubs (Precision Auto), rotors (OEM replacement Camaro SS rotor from Amazon for front, V2 takeoffs for rear), and added the V2/Camaro SS parking brake assembly. Prior to wheels/tires I spend in the realms of $1200 for everything to do it the "right" way. It's all in what you are comfortable with. I could have done it much cheaper with cheaper parts, but that's not what I wanted on my daily driver.

Before I break it all down I'll list the thread where I kept track of what I was doing:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-complete.html

And now, onto the business...

METHOD 1 (CHEAPEST):

This method you will reuse everything you have on the car, except you'll swap out your stock 6x115 CTS-V hubs for a set of 5x4.75 Corvette C5 hubs that have the same speed/ABS sensor setup built into the hub as we do. Use the hubs to mark where the new bolt pattern will need to go in the stock rotors and get to drilling. Note that at least one of the holes in the rotors will end up wallowing out one of the stock 6x115 bolt pattern holes. This is totally fine! The rotors are held to the car via friction between the surface of the hub and the wheels, NOT the lug nuts. Don't let anyone tell you this isn't safe because it is. Because we haven't changed the rotors on the rear the stock parking brake is still fully functional.

You also have the choice of running Camaro SS rotors up front here, but the hub bore of the rotors must be opened up from 66.9mm to 70.3mm to fit over the hubs. Not a big deal, but necessary to get it all to work.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs

Modifications necessary:
- Redrill stock rotors to have 5x120 bolt pattern
- Bore our hub of front rotors from 66.9mm to 70.3mm (only if using Camaro SS rotors in front)

METHOD 2-1 (MORE EXPENSIVE):

This method you'll swap out all of the rotors for the appropriate versions. You'll do the same as above with the C5 hubs except we'll have to get some Camaro SS front rotors and V2/Camaro SS rear rotors. From there you'll machine the hub bore of the rotors from 66.9mm to 70.3mm in order to fit them over the hubs. The final piece to this is the V2/Camaro SS parking brake assembly. It's 100% bolt on, but it's just a better design using two pads instead of the stock single horse shoe design that our cars come with. It still needs to be adjusted properly to work well.

I'll list the parking brake assembly parts here:

25814678 - x2, shoe kit
25867413 - x2, shoe lever arm
25867414 - x2, shoe leveler
18K2087 - spring and hardware kit
25851190 - backing plate (driver)
25851205 - backing plate (passenger)
11517996 - x4, bracket nut

Those are GM parts and they're not going to be the cheapest ordering it straight from the dealership. I just wanted it all together and ordered it from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. You can look around for him on forums and he's dealt with a lot of guys in the past for OEM parts at a not so steep cost straight from a dealer. There's clearly cheaper ways (buying junkyard knuckle assemblies, etc.), but this is what I did. Note that these are not specific to the V2/Camaro SS and are actually on the base CTS from 09-15 as well. It may be on a couple other vehicles as well. That opens up doors.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- Camaro SS front rotors
- V2/Camaro SS rear rotors
- V2/Camaro SS/CTS(09-15) parking brake assembly

Modifications Necessary:
- Machine rotor hub bore from 66.9mm to 70.3mm

METHOD 2-2 (MORE EXPENSIVE):

This method is going to be the same as the one above, except instead of machining the rotors you'll machine the hubs. The hubs have a hub bore OD of 70.3mm and it can be reduced to 66.9mm and rotors will just slip on. This makes it so you can just buy off the shelf rotors when you do your brakes and not worry about it. This is also the method that Creative Steel uses and why buying a set of hubs from them is so expensive. They also make their own parking brake backing plate to use due to cost, but that's neither here nor there.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- Camaro SS front rotors

Modifications Necessary:
- Machine wheel bearing hub OD from 70.3mm to 66.9mm

METHOD 3 (MOST EXPENSIVE):

This final method is going to be the most expensive option, but that's due to you going with a larger rotor and brake caliper on the front. We're switching to the 6 pot V2 calipers! All of the methods above apply, except in this case we'll need the matching rotors that go with the calipers. The calipers bolt up and fit under the stock 18s if that's something you were curious about as well.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- V2 front calipers
- V2 front rotors

Modifications Necessary:
**OR**

This should wrap up all the ways to do it (the right way). Given that you want to skip the parking brake there's easier/cheaper ways to do it, but I like having everything on my car as functional as can be so I have method 2-1 on my car. With wheels and tires I have $2068 in it. Then I sold my stock wheels (with TPMS) for $400 so all in to get to 5 lug with some wheels with specs very close to stock I have $1600 in it. The wheels on the car now are now winter wheels (Wisconsin, yay!) and I'll be running some summer wheels that didn't cost me $4000 to have a custom bolt pattern!

Note that 5x120 wheels will work. The Corvette is 5x4.75, which is 5x120.65 and most wheel manufacturers sell those two patterns as interchangeable. Just be aware of your wheel hub bore and make sure it's larger than 70.3mm and you get hub rings to make up the gap.
...so method 2.1 works good for you I kind of like that idea
Old 08-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I wrote this up to toss into the files section on my facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/541090912712385/) so I figured I'd toss it up on here for people to search later on. could be useful as a sticky, too.

__________________________________________________ _______________

04-07 CTS-V 5 LUG CONVERSION

There are a few differnt methods to doing this that range in complexity and cost based on how you want to get it done and what's needed. This can basically be treated as a hub swap, but there is a small amount of machining that needs to be completed regardless of how you want to do it. I will only be explaining methods that allow you do keep a functional parking brake. I do not recommend doing it in a method that does not retain all of the functionality that the car came with stock. If you want to go down that path that is your choice. I know it is a manual car and you can leave it in gear, but we all know that's not the correct thing to do.

Obviously you can increase/decrease cost based on the parts you decide to buy. I used mid-grade hubs (Precision Auto), rotors (OEM replacement Camaro SS rotor from Amazon for front, V2 takeoffs for rear), and added the V2/Camaro SS parking brake assembly. Prior to wheels/tires I spend in the realms of $1200 for everything to do it the "right" way. It's all in what you are comfortable with. I could have done it much cheaper with cheaper parts, but that's not what I wanted on my daily driver.

Before I break it all down I'll list the thread where I kept track of what I was doing:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-complete.html

And now, onto the business...

METHOD 1 (CHEAPEST):

This method you will reuse everything you have on the car, except you'll swap out your stock 6x115 CTS-V hubs for a set of 5x4.75 Corvette C5 hubs that have the same speed/ABS sensor setup built into the hub as we do. Use the hubs to mark where the new bolt pattern will need to go in the stock rotors and get to drilling. Note that at least one of the holes in the rotors will end up wallowing out one of the stock 6x115 bolt pattern holes. This is totally fine! The rotors are held to the car via friction between the surface of the hub and the wheels, NOT the lug nuts. Don't let anyone tell you this isn't safe because it is. Because we haven't changed the rotors on the rear the stock parking brake is still fully functional.

You also have the choice of running Camaro SS rotors up front here, but the hub bore of the rotors must be opened up from 66.9mm to 70.3mm to fit over the hubs. Not a big deal, but necessary to get it all to work.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs

Modifications necessary:
- Redrill stock rotors to have 5x120 bolt pattern
- Bore our hub of front rotors from 66.9mm to 70.3mm (only if using Camaro SS rotors in front)

METHOD 2-1 (MORE EXPENSIVE):

This method you'll swap out all of the rotors for the appropriate versions. You'll do the same as above with the C5 hubs except we'll have to get some Camaro SS front rotors and V2/Camaro SS rear rotors. From there you'll machine the hub bore of the rotors from 66.9mm to 70.3mm in order to fit them over the hubs. The final piece to this is the V2/Camaro SS parking brake assembly. It's 100% bolt on, but it's just a better design using two pads instead of the stock single horse shoe design that our cars come with. It still needs to be adjusted properly to work well.

I'll list the parking brake assembly parts here:

25814678 - x2, shoe kit
25867413 - x2, shoe lever arm
25867414 - x2, shoe leveler
18K2087 - spring and hardware kit
25851190 - backing plate (driver)
25851205 - backing plate (passenger)
11517996 - x4, bracket nut

Those are GM parts and they're not going to be the cheapest ordering it straight from the dealership. I just wanted it all together and ordered it from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. You can look around for him on forums and he's dealt with a lot of guys in the past for OEM parts at a not so steep cost straight from a dealer. There's clearly cheaper ways (buying junkyard knuckle assemblies, etc.), but this is what I did. Note that these are not specific to the V2/Camaro SS and are actually on the base CTS from 09-15 as well. It may be on a couple other vehicles as well. That opens up doors.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- Camaro SS front rotors

Modifications Necessary:

METHOD 2-2 (MORE EXPENSIVE):

This method is going to be the same as the one above, except instead of machining the rotors you'll machine the hubs. The hubs have a hub bore OD of 70.3mm and it can be reduced to 66.9mm and rotors will just slip on. This makes it so you can just buy off the shelf rotors when you do your brakes and not worry about it. This is also the method that Creative Steel uses and why buying a set of hubs from them is so expensive. They also make their own parking brake backing plate to use due to cost, but that's neither here nor there.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- Camaro SS front rotors

Modifications Necessary:

METHOD 3 (MOST EXPENSIVE):

This final method is going to be the most expensive option, but that's due to you going with a larger rotor and brake caliper on the front. We're switching to the 6 pot V2 calipers! All of the methods above apply, except in this case we'll need the matching rotors that go with the calipers. The calipers bolt up and fit under the stock 18s if that's something you were curious about as well.

Parts necessary:
- Corvette C5 hubs
- V2 front calipers
- V2 front rotors

Modifications Necessary:
**OR**

This should wrap up all the ways to do it (the right way). Given that you want to skip the parking brake there's easier/cheaper ways to do it, but I like having everything on my car as functional as can be so I have method 2-1 on my car. With wheels and tires I have $2068 in it. Then I sold my stock wheels (with TPMS) for $400 so all in to get to 5 lug with some wheels with specs very close to stock I have $1600 in it. The wheels on the car now are now winter wheels (Wisconsin, yay!) and I'll be running some summer wheels that didn't cost me $4000 to have a custom bolt pattern!

Note that 5x120 wheels will work. The Corvette is 5x4.75, which is 5x120.65 and most wheel manufacturers sell those two patterns as interchangeable. Just be aware of your wheel hub bore and make sure it's larger than 70.3mm and you get hub rings to make up the gap.
For method 3 do I need all 4 calipers or just the 2 front ones
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****, did you really need to quote that twice.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
Holy ****, did you really need to quote that twice.
What's the matter, was it the scrolling or the fapping that aggravated the ole carpal tunnel? j/k
Old 08-18-2016, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hm_p
For method 3 do I need all 4 calipers or just the 2 front ones
the rear brake calipers are the same so you only need the fronts.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Bio248 so method 2-1 works good for you?...and do I need the brake cable also for the brake assembly or my brake cable works fine?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

the stock brake cable works fine.

and yes, it works well. it's probably the way i would do it again, but the real reason i went this way is because i wanted to do a whole brake overhaul anyway. had i just replaced the pads and rotors recently i'd have probably just redrilled my stock rotors and done it that way for the time being.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CTS-V1 5x115/120 Conversion Parts/Methods