Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

So I'm thinking about doing a 5-lug swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm thinking about doing a 5-lug swap

The wheels that came with the car are 20" chrome wheels that I hate. Add into that they have evidence of repaired cracks, and probably are bent. I've been looking for the last two months for factory V wheels, but I can't find any locally, and I've only seen them "one-sie, two-sie" on ebay (for pretty unreasonable amounts of $$). That lead me to seriously considering doing a 5 lug swap.

My questions is: what are some take off wheels that I can use? Wheels from a GTO? Camarro? Corvette? BMW?

I'd like to get something used and relatively cheap as I don't have the budget for $1000 lug swap, $1200 wheels, and $1200 in tires. If I could get wheels for a couple hundred bucks, that would help a whole lot.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tobylazur
I'd like to get something used and relatively cheap as I don't have the budget for $1000 lug swap, $1200 wheels, and $1200 in tires. If I could get wheels for a couple hundred bucks, that would help a whole lot.
How many miles are on the car? Another benefit is that you get new wheel bearings out of the deal. They'll typically start going bad between 125k-150k. That can help to justify the money spent on at least a portion of the swap. It's practically maintenance.

If you don't have the budget now and the car drives fine, you may just want to save $50-100 a month until you're more comfortable with doing it right the first time. It'll also give you plenty of time to shop around and snag a deal when it pops up. A big regret, especially with something as visually weighted as wheels, is cheaping out just to get it done quickly. I know where you're at in terms of budget. These cars are money pits.

To answer your take-off question, Camaros and Corvettes are definites. BMWs are like 1mm different, but can fit. Spacers may be required to get the offset right and clear and knuckles or trailing arms.

Corvettes have a great variety of wheel choices, and many that complement the angular Caddy design. I've never been a fan of Camaro wheels on Cadillacs.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
How many miles are on the car? Another benefit is that you get new wheel bearings out of the deal. They'll typically start going bad between 125k-150k. That can help to justify the money spent on at least a portion of the swap. It's practically maintenance.

If you don't have the budget now and the car drives fine, you may just want to save $50-100 a month until you're more comfortable with doing it right the first time. It'll also give you plenty of time to shop around and snag a deal when it pops up. A big regret, especially with something as visually weighted as wheels, is cheaping out just to get it done quickly. I know where you're at in terms of budget. These cars are money pits.

To answer your take-off question, Camaros and Corvettes are definites. BMWs are like 1mm different, but can fit. Spacers may be required to get the offset right and clear and knuckles or trailing arms.

Corvettes have a great variety of wheel choices, and many that complement the angular Caddy design. I've never been a fan of Camaro wheels on Cadillacs.
The wheels don't hold air, and I'm pretty sure they don't balance very well because the previous owner "just had them rotated and balanced". The front driver's side wheel has a strip of weights about as long as half the wheel, and is stacked three weights high.

If it wasn't for that, I would hold off and buy nice wheels right off the bat.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know of a set of wheels/tires for sale in the milwaukee area for the right price. he'd probably ship, too.

a lot of the wheels that'll bolt on don't "fit" without either being modified or using spacers so it's different based on which set of wheels you're looking at. a few of the vette wheels will bolt on no problem, but you're limited to the 18x8.5 sizes for the most part.

i have "bmw spec" wheels on my car, but they're out of your budget for sure.

otherwise if your brakes are in fine condition you can swap for the price of hubs. just redrill your rotors to the 5x120.65 pattern and put everything back together with the new vette/xlr hubs. that'd save a good chunk of change until you needed to redo the brakes.

Last edited by Bio248; 07-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bio248
i know of a set of wheels/tires for sale in the milwaukee area for the right price. he'd probably ship, too.

a lot of the wheels that'll bolt on don't "fit" without either being modified or using spacers so it's different based on which set of wheels you're looking at. a few of the vette wheels will bolt on no problem, but you're limited to the 18x8.5 sizes for the most part.

i have "bmw spec" wheels on my car, but they're out of your budget for sure.

otherwise if your brakes are in fine condition you can swap for the price of hubs. just redrill your rotors to the 5x120.65 pattern and put everything back together with the new vette/xlr hubs. that'd save a good chunk of change until you needed to redo the brakes.
Ha, everything is out of my budget right now.

The plan was to do the hubs, then replace rotors when they needed replaced (and do the parking brake setup then as well). I think I'd be fine with an 18" or 19" wheel that's 8.5"-9" wide. I understand that there's probably a little bit of tweeking involved (spacers, etc.) with wheels meant for other cars involved in the process.

Car has 103,xxx miles on it. Sorry, missed that in your first post.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Where are you located?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Teching In

I'm in AZ
Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Oh. I see. I'm in LA. Have two sets of stock wheels and tires and haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up yet.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Teching In

I've got a buddy in NOLA, something might be able to be worked out.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking about doing a 5-lug swap