Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How to reset...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How to reset...

I just reached 250k and the only way I could have gotten this car that far and still like it is because of info like this....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...d-working.html

I recently swapped interiors from one car to the next and while neither of them had airbag lights on when I started, I have one on now. I've checked the connectors and they seem fine. Disconnected battery to see if it would reset...no luck.

Any clues?

Beyond weird, I swapped seats on one weekend and all the doorpanels on the next so I know this little phenomena is doorpanel related. Car one was setup so the horn would "toot" whenever you lock the doors with the fob, car 2 wasn't. I swapped door panels and now car 2 toots and car 1 doesn't...WTF. I'm OK with this as car 2 has an aftermarket headunit in it so I wasn't ever going to be able to program it myself...who would have thought the doorpanels would have done it for me.

If anyone knows how to reset airbag lights let me know.

If you have any strange experiences with the electronics on this car and how you were able to reset or fix it, please post it here so we can keep track of it.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Other than the usual troubleshooting tree to see if you have a nicked harness wire somewhere or an airbag go bad because you breathed on it wrong, check those connections again. Use a good terminal cleaner, maybe even a dab of sandpaper to polish them up. I have seen airbag connections have corrosion that wasn't at all obvious but with a good cleaning/polishing worked correctly. This was not with the CTS but was with other GM products of the same era so it's worth a shot. Otherwise, I suspect a terminal got pulled loose during the swap but it's not in an obvious way. I hate when I do that sh*t...good luck bro.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to ask what year your car is vs what year you got the interior from but it looks like you got it figured out. Otherwise it'd most likely be the passenger presence pad.

I had an issue where I swapped out the HVAC control unit because the one the car came with had some crappy carbon fiber wrap on it that was going to wreck the actual skin. Anyways, my car popped up low coolant every time I started afterwards and the dic read about 50 degrees below actual temp which gave freeze warnings. Swapped back to the old one and the problem vanished.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tlorenzen
I was going to ask what year your car is vs what year you got the interior from but it looks like you got it figured out. Otherwise it'd most likely be the passenger presence pad.

I had an issue where I swapped out the HVAC control unit because the one the car came with had some crappy carbon fiber wrap on it that was going to wreck the actual skin. Anyways, my car popped up low coolant every time I started afterwards and the dic read about 50 degrees below actual temp which gave freeze warnings. Swapped back to the old one and the problem vanished.
The biggest problem I've had with these cars is keeping the logic happy whenever I mess with it.

When I swapped seats, it took several days to keep car 1 from doing the mirror auto tilt, seat memory auto adjust thing every time I started the car even after I disabled all that crap in the DIC. It finally figured it out but I like having a little control over this stuff.

I won't even go into the clutch switch...

Wonder if you're control unit problems are related to how the units were last being used? Would the car freak out if your original unit was on low heat when you pulled it out and your replacement was on high AC when it was last used?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible that these cars have to be in a particular "State" before transferring components related to the BCU? I am just going by some experience with acuras and bmws, but you have to put the car or the BCU in a state of acceptance. From my understanding, it allows the computer to see a disconnect without freaking out or doing odd things
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

I could see how this might be the case but I did a quick search and found no reference to it...
Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

argh!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1247
I just reached 250k and the only way I could have gotten this car that far and still like it is because of info like this....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...d-working.html

I recently swapped interiors from one car to the next and while neither of them had airbag lights on when I started, I have one on now. I've checked the connectors and they seem fine. Disconnected battery to see if it would reset...no luck.

Any clues?

Beyond weird, I swapped seats on one weekend and all the doorpanels on the next so I know this little phenomena is doorpanel related. Car one was setup so the horn would "toot" whenever you lock the doors with the fob, car 2 wasn't. I swapped door panels and now car 2 toots and car 1 doesn't...WTF. I'm OK with this as car 2 has an aftermarket headunit in it so I wasn't ever going to be able to program it myself...who would have thought the doorpanels would have done it for me.

If anyone knows how to reset airbag lights let me know.

If you have any strange experiences with the electronics on this car and how you were able to reset or fix it, please post it here so we can keep track of it.

Thanks.
This should be a sticky... I had a non functioning sunroof for probably two years and fixed it in about ten seconds... These little gremlins are a part of cars run by computers.... Save everyone the headache!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vcaddy71
This should be a sticky... I had a non functioning sunroof for probably two years and fixed it in about ten seconds... These little gremlins are a part of cars run by computers.... Save everyone the headache!
The more I learn about this car, the more I realize there must be fifty of these relearns. If we can get them all in one place, it would be worth a sticky...
Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, going off that car two horn doesn't toot when locked, I would think to try this
http://pcmperformance.com/programmin..._PROCEDURE.pdf

the door panels might have to do with the security system, if anything, try and swap out the door lock and unlock buttons, though I wouldn't know why this would throw a air bag, unless its some where involved with the communication bus, something you would need a Tech II for.

Also, what year were the two cars? both Vs? this could have something to do with it as well

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 07-29-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Found this as well

"Every Cadillac CTS is equipped with an airbag system that automatically inflates air bags if the sensors connected to the system detect an accident. Each time the CTS is started, the computer runs a check to make sure the air bag system is functioning properly. If an error is detected, the airbag light will stay on to alert the driver of the problem. In some cases, the problem can be temporary or a communication error. Resetting the light will help determine if there is a more serious problem with the air bag system.

• Turn the ignition switch to "ON" without starting the engine.
  • Pull out the fuse labeled "AIRBAG".
  • Turn the ignition switch off.
  • Replace the airbag fuse. Replace the fuse block cover.
  • Start the engine. The airbag system resets.

Tips & Warnings
  • If the light does not go out after resetting, the airbag system should be inspected by a qualified technician."
Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
Well, going off that car two horn doesn't toot when locked, I would think to try this
http://pcmperformance.com/programmin..._PROCEDURE.pdf

the door panels might have to do with the security system, if anything, try and swap out the door lock and unlock buttons, though I wouldn't know why this would throw a air bag, unless its some where involved with the communication bus, something you would need a Tech II for.

Also, what year were the two cars? both Vs? this could have something to do with it as well
I was glad the horn feature transferred so I'll let that one go...swapped from an 04 V to an 05 V.

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
"Every Cadillac CTS is equipped with an airbag system that automatically inflates air bags if the sensors connected to the system detect an accident. Each time the CTS is started, the computer runs a check to make sure the air bag system is functioning properly. If an error is detected, the airbag light will stay on to alert the driver of the problem. In some cases, the problem can be temporary or a communication error. Resetting the light will help determine if there is a more serious problem with the air bag system.

• Turn the ignition switch to "ON" without starting the engine.
  • Pull out the fuse labeled "AIRBAG".
  • Turn the ignition switch off.
  • Replace the airbag fuse. Replace the fuse block cover.
  • Start the engine. The airbag system resets.

Tips & Warnings
  • If the light does not go out after resetting, the airbag system should be inspected by a qualified technician."
Touchdown! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure if it's similar to what I encountered in my Trans Am, but some of the airbag sensors were VIN locked and I needed a Tech2 to reprogram them. Might be your next step if you have an issue after the reset.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:10 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The passenger presence sensor is at fault with my car, and i dont know why, never really used it but its faulty now and i will try your airbag fuse trick...

Not to mention the steerin wheel buttons on the left side decided not to work...but i feel thats a harness issue as i swapped the engine harness and the replacement may be faulty causing my issue...
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

This info qualifies...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ms-keyfob.html

Quick Reply: How to reset...