Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Magnuson Supercharger Maintenance Regiment Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnuson Supercharger Maintenance Regiment Reccomendations

I have a 04 V mostly stock besides the supercharger,exhaust and bushings. This is my first supercharged vehicle and I have had it a little over a year and put 7k miles (at 57k now) on it and was wanting to know what is recommended maintenance wise for the supercharger. I do not know how long the supercharger has been installed. It makes no out of the ordinary noises.

With my past turbo cars I would do spark plug changes every 10k and Oil every 3k and was wanting to know if that's also recommended with superchargers. I already do regular oil changes but was thinking of doing the plugs.

Also how often should I change the diff fluid and trans fluid? My diff is a little noisy at 50-60 but otherwise its fine, its a stock one and has held up fine so far. I don't beat on it much lol.

Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Magnuson recommends changing the oil in the blower every 80-120k. I'm a bit OCD on fluid changes so I'd go every 60k...but I don't own one yet. 10k seems a bit much for plugs unless they are showing they need it, but I've only had NA cars. Diff and trans I go fresh synthetic fluid every 30k, same with brake and PS fluid. Coolant I do fresh coolant (not Dexcool) every 2 years. I do synthetic oil changes every 3-5k, depending on which vehicle and how hard I am driving it. Do you have a catch can on your maggie'd car?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I will plan the blower oil change next since I am a bit OCD about it too.

I do not have a catch can that's one thing I would really like to add. Is that simple enough to DIY? Or do they have to tap it in somewhere on a different line.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Do some digging on catch cans. Revextreme is a known good design. Line routing is engine/configuration dependent and should be provided by the company you purchase from.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_Walrus
Thanks for the advice, I will plan the blower oil change next since I am a bit OCD about it too.

I do not have a catch can that's one thing I would really like to add. Is that simple enough to DIY? Or do they have to tap it in somewhere on a different line.
There is no need for a catch can unless you are losing oil.

I've monitored my setup for a while now and between oil changes there is no oil loss with track days and the mostly "spirited" driving I've been doing. That right there dictates that no catch can is necessary.

Not all engines are the same so it is usually a case by case basis whether or not one is necessary.

I personally haven't changed my S/C oil yet as I'm only at 45k miles and the supercharger probably has only ~30k on it. I bought ACdelco V2 colder iridium plugs and won't be changing them for 100k miles or unless they start to miss which they haven't after 25k so far. I follow the oil change algorithm that comes with the car and it usually falls between 3000-5000 miles depending on how hard I drive the car. I use Mobile1 full synthetic. The oil has come out a good used color so I'll be continuing to follow that schedule until something changes.

The car is for a dexcool refresh (change every 5 years) since it's over 10 years old now and next on my list is some Amsoil ATF for the trans. I'm already running Amsoil in the new 8.8diff.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by barrok69
There is no need for a catch can unless you are losing oil.

I've monitored my setup for a while now and between oil changes there is no oil loss with track days and the mostly "spirited" driving I've been doing. That right there dictates that no catch can is necessary.

Not all engines are the same so it is usually a case by case basis whether or not one is necessary.

I personally haven't changed my S/C oil yet as I'm only at 45k miles and the supercharger probably has only ~30k on it. I bought ACdelco V2 colder iridium plugs and won't be changing them for 100k miles or unless they start to miss which they haven't after 25k so far. I follow the oil change algorithm that comes with the car and it usually falls between 3000-5000 miles depending on how hard I drive the car. I use Mobile1 full synthetic. The oil has come out a good used color so I'll be continuing to follow that schedule until something changes.

The car is for a dexcool refresh (change every 5 years) since it's over 10 years old now and next on my list is some Amsoil ATF for the trans. I'm already running Amsoil in the new 8.8diff.
I don't agree with your catch can thoughts. My car doesn't "use" oil but it does, as does any other car, pull a lot of oil vapor through the intake. This causes build up on the back of valves and other issues especially since he has a maggie. The oil coats the intercooler causing it to be less efficient and also breaks down the RTV that is used to seal the intercooler in the manifold causing hot air to escape around the intercooler.

I rebuilt my blower from top to bottom and after seeing the effects of the oil in the blower manifold, I would say a catch can is a must, especially on a maggied car.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
I don't agree with your catch can thoughts. My car doesn't "use" oil but it does, as does any other car, pull a lot of oil vapor through the intake. This causes build up on the back of valves and other issues especially since he has a maggie. The oil coats the intercooler causing it to be less efficient and also breaks down the RTV that is used to seal the intercooler in the manifold causing hot air to escape around the intercooler.

I rebuilt my blower from top to bottom and after seeing the effects of the oil in the blower manifold, I would say a catch can is a must, especially on a maggied car.
I can reason with that explanation. I'll have to monitor things going forward, but to date I have not had any issues. I have some engine/blower work planned for next year so I'll get a better idea of what's going on inside of the blower when it all comes off. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by raven154

Right on the money.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like oil in your intake, don't get a catch can.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Don't rely on Dexcool and change your coolant every 2-3 years. I prefer green/universal coolant. I've seen WAY too many cars with Dexcool develop sludge in the cooling system due to the Dexcool plus the mistaken idea that it will be good 5-10 years...it won't. No system is sealed well enough to the the longevity advertised. Put cheap stuff in there and flush it totally every 2 years. Every component coolant touches will thank you and so will your wallet.

Quick Reply: Magnuson Supercharger Maintenance Regiment Reccomendations