Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

8.8 fluid capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 8.8 fluid capacity?

Could any of you 8.8 guys verify the fluid capacity for me? Is it 2 qts + the little bottle of friction modifier? I just drained the oil after 3,000 miles of installing mine... 1.25 qts came out which I know isn't right (I had a leak for a while which is why I'm draining). I'm gonna let the RTV dry overnight and then re-fill tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine takes approx 1.8. And I don't use friction modifier. Yay trutrac
Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Could any of you 8.8 guys verify the fluid capacity for me? Is it 2 qts + the little bottle of friction modifier? I just drained the oil after 3,000 miles of installing mine... 1.25 qts came out which I know isn't right (I had a leak for a while which is why I'm draining). I'm gonna let the RTV dry overnight and then re-fill tomorrow.

Thanks!
IIRC, it is about 2 quarts. The friction modifier is crucially important if you don't get oil with that already in. Royal Purple and some others make such an animal. If using the separate bottle of FM, put a quart in, put the whole bottle of FM in, then fill until the oil just starts to come out of the fill hole. Do this on level ground. Not the scientific answer you were looking for for sure, but with how sticky/thick gear oil is, trying to measure the exact amount is about impossible IMO. In a time when I was paranoid about the FM floating on top and coming out with he rest of the fill, I put half of the first quart in, put the FM in that bottle of gear oil, shook it up, put that in,and then the rest to full. Probably completely unnecessary but if you are using a fluid pump sized for the gear oil bottle, this makes it easier to get the FM in there.

Point is, you may not use quite all the gear oil but you want to use all of the FM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Mine takes approx 1.8. And I don't use friction modifier. Yay trutrac
Right here. I can't see signatures/mods on my mobile but if you have a gear-type locker you don't need or want the FM. If it is a stock traction-lock 8.8 diff or similar, you must have the FM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, unfortunately the aftermarket cover I used has a fill hole that can't be used as the level. It's very frustrating!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, unfortunately the aftermarket cover I used has a fill hole that can't be used as the level. It's very frustrating!
Why not? I see why that would be frustrating. But also potentially dangerous. It's all about keeping the gears oiled and a lot of that is splash/sling. Aftermarket covers, unless they have the same exact contours as the stock cover, can and likely do change the overall capacity of the diff. I am fairly sure this is why the accepted method is fill til full and put the plug in. Basically to get a certain level in there, not necessarily a certain volume. You could in theory have a BIG cover that adds 1qt capacity and then with 2qt your level would be very low and possibly hurt your diff/gears/bearings.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a link to the cover. The instructions with the cover say to fill to OEM specs. But if you look at the picture the fill hole is above the axle centerline which is why I can't use it as the level. Thanks guys, I'm going with 2 qts!

Last edited by 1BADCTS; 08-22-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a link to the cover. The instructions with the cover say to fill to OEM specs. But if you look at the picture the fill hole is above the axle centerline which is why I can't use it as the level. Thanks guys, I'm going with 2 qts!
I think you are on the right track. If you want to see where the level is in a factory 8.8 IRS, see the attached pics of my cover in and out. You could make yourself a dipstick of sorts but again, 2qt is likely safe, especially with FM added to that.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm with Merc. Quart of fluid, bottle of FM, fill to fill hole. That will either be correct or it will sling and burp out the vent tube until it is.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I'm with Merc. Quart of fluid, bottle of FM, fill to fill hole. That will either be correct or it will sling and burp out the vent tube until it is.
Connect vent tube to fill hole..redneck fluid pump!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mercier
Connect vent tube to fill hole..redneck fluid pump!
Holy crap it's genious!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have that same cover. I used 2quarts and about 2 inches of fluid out of the 3rd bottle.
I used valvoline synthetic 75/140, it has the limited slip additive in it already. It was $14 at Napa per quart.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks!
With the LPW racing increased capacity cover I'm running I used almost 2.5quarts of Amsoil Severe gear. No friction modifier necessary on the Trak-lok with the Amsoil fluid.

I also use a lube locker 8.8 reusable silicone beaded gasket for the diff cover. No leaks so far and way easier to manage than the RTV mess from Ford.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Man y'all are using a lot of fluid. If I put two quarts in the first turn under spirited driving would equal fluid out of the vent and onto the exhaust (pre-new vent setup). At y'all filling these with the car level!?

Quick Reply: 8.8 fluid capacity?