Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTR has the GM LS7 clutch for $295 retail. Tick has the slave for $195. Pilot can be had for under $20 at RockAuto or even local parts stores. Just FYI before anyone drops the dough on an eBay kit that isn't really a good deal.

***EDIT: whoops. Just realized the eBay kit includes the flywheel too. Are the parts comparable? If so, that is a good deal.

Also when going to the LS7 slave, you should consider this:

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...2004-07-cts-v/

Last edited by Mercier; 08-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LUK 04216 kit has everything but the flywheel for $248, which is LUK FW191 and is $48 and the C6 OEM flywheel (~28lbs). Prices from rock auto + $25 in shipping for everything, and I used a discount code too for another $15 off.
The following users liked this post:
James Baker (08-08-2019)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mercier
BTR has the GM LS7 clutch for $295 retail. Tick has the slave for $195. Pilot can be had for under $20 at RockAuto or even local parts stores. Just FYI before anyone drops the dough on an eBay kit that isn't really a good deal.

Also when going to the LS7 slave, you should consider this:

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...2004-07-cts-v/
I'll let you know but been told that line is a waste, not necessary, just bend the C6 slave a bit or grind out the bellhousing notch a little more.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Edited above. Didn't realize until after I posted you were getting a flywheel in that price also. That's hard to beat if the parts really are comparable. On the line, I have one right here but waiting on more parts before finishing he build. Guess I'll know in a month or so if it truly helps or not.

At least interesting that the description indicates specifically "unrestricted" which seems to imply the stock LS7 line is restricted? Might also just be the marketing guys screwing with us.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one on ebay is pricey. Rock Auto and Amazon have it a bit cheaper.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy tarzan
The one on ebay is pricey. Rock Auto and Amazon have it a bit cheaper.
Including the flywheel? Post it up if so...

That's the LUK PN mentioned above plus a lighter flywheel (about 7lbs lighter than an LS7 piece IIRC) but not aluminum light. Add a remote bleeder and spacer to this kit and you're good to go, right? http://www.tickperformance.com/2004-...illac-cts-v-4/
Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
I'll let you know but been told that line is a waste, not necessary, just bend the C6 slave a bit or grind out the bellhousing notch a little more.
The tick line was 50 bucks well spent. It fit like a glove and eliminated the chance of bending the line too much, didn't get in the way like the longer line would during install and also decreases the amount of exposed clutch line available to soak up heat during normal operation.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Aside from part numbers and vendor sources, I'll vouch for the longevity and driveability of the C6 setup. I have about 60k on my setup and the slave and clutch itself seem to be holding up well. The 23lb flywheel is good for daily driving, but I probably should have had it balanced before putting it in. It is a little less refined than I think it could be, but then again, so is the rest of the car.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

My luk C6 flywheel came in with a green marking on once side and it had been machined/grinded down slightly along that side, so some type of balancing was done at the manufacturer.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

OP - if you've done your research around here, you've probably come across a number of my posts/threads on this topic. I'm now 2+ years of daily driving and monthly "autocross" events (small courses, only about 50-80 second runs, usually hit 2nd gear and stay there) into it without any problems. I certainly had some issues during initial install, but that was my own fault. Once the clutch drag was cured (by a tick slave spacer), all was well; and all remains well.

My "kit" came from eBay from a vendor called "Gripforce". It came complete with 20lb flywheel, LUK clutch, LS7 slave, pilot bearing, seal, etc for somewhere around $500, IIRC. Add the Tick speed bleeder and attention to the finer details regarding pressure plate torque specs, and you're good to go man.

Only improvement I have left is to get Philistine's master cylinder off my workbench and into the car. It's been "marinating" in it's box for about 2 years now. :-(

Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GF-CLUTCH-KI...5UWS8u&vxp=mtr

Last edited by wes8398; 09-05-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recommend the Gripforce kit as it costs more than getting the same OEM parts through Rockauto or similar. I made the mistake of going Gripforce, but others can learn from me.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmylez
I don't recommend the Gripforce kit as it costs more than getting the same OEM parts through Rockauto or similar. I made the mistake of going Gripforce, but others can learn from me.
I can't remember what issues you had, but I recall you posting about some. Wasn't it issues with install? Something about over-tourquing the PP bolts or something?

When I got mine, the "Gripforce" kit was less money than all the other alternatives. And I have pictures (somewhere) to prove that the parts were from LUK/OEM manufacturers (including slave), other than the flywheel. But Rock Auto, etc don't sell a LUK fly either, to my recollection. Rock Auto's lighter fly was made by RAM, IIRC...

OP - welcome to what was my nightmare before I finally pulled the trigger. I read the forums for a full YEAR before I finally decided to. For ANY kit/product, you're going to get reviews from 10/10 to 1/10 and everything between. You just have to take the leap and make sure you take every precaution you can to make sure it's installed correctly.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I know exactly where you're coming from...I just "upgraded" my stock clutch (90 K, no issues other than a slave), with an LS7). My car is now "lightly" modded, heads, cam, intake system, trans rebuild, etc, etc... The clutch has been wonderful...about the same pedal as stock, absolutely no hint of slippage from whatever start I attempt, positive...just feels good! I'm sure if my car were more serious, there would be better selections; but I'm a hard-core "bang for the buck" guy and this clutch seems to be perfect!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
I can't remember what issues you had, but I recall you posting about some. Wasn't it issues with install? Something about over-tourquing the PP bolts or something?

When I got mine, the "Gripforce" kit was less money than all the other alternatives. And I have pictures (somewhere) to prove that the parts were from LUK/OEM manufacturers (including slave), other than the flywheel. But Rock Auto, etc don't sell a LUK fly either, to my recollection. Rock Auto's lighter fly was made by RAM, IIRC...

OP - welcome to what was my nightmare before I finally pulled the trigger. I read the forums for a full YEAR before I finally decided to. For ANY kit/product, you're going to get reviews from 10/10 to 1/10 and everything between. You just have to take the leap and make sure you take every precaution you can to make sure it's installed correctly.
No install issues like over-torqued bolts. You can read my thread if you need a refresher. Rockauto sells the Luk flywheel for $60 as I have a new one sitting in my garage. Between Amazon and Rockauto, you can get the Luk setup for way cheaper than Gripforce, and you have more assurance that they're not OEM "rejects", in my mind.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmylez
No install issues like over-torqued bolts. You can read my thread if you need a refresher. Rockauto sells the Luk flywheel for $60 as I have a new one sitting in my garage. Between Amazon and Rockauto, you can get the Luk setup for way cheaper than Gripforce, and you have more assurance that they're not OEM "rejects", in my mind.
Sorry, but I've already done my fair share of reading on the topic. I'm happy as a pig in **** with what I got, and I'm not about to go through all that conjecture again.

There is absolutely zero evidence to support that Gripforce is selling "OEM rejects". It's just completely unfounded. I remember the idea coming up in one of the threads I was involved in. If you're going to accept that Gripforce is selling OEM "rejects", than you should be JUST AS willing to accept that ANY vendor (Rock Auto, Amazon, dealerships) might be as well. Garbage.

I don't know about now, but I'm telling you... ALL IN, GRIPFORCE WAS THE CHEAPEST. Belive me dude. I'm probably the most frugal ************ (IE CHEAPEST!) in the V1 world. I went where the price was best (within reason of being comfortable with the quality of the product I was going to get).

Anyway... just passing my .02 on to the OP. My experience with Gripforce and their products was positive. And, at the time, it was the best value.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe prices have changed over the years. Here are screenshots taken 3 min ago:

Rock Auto Luk kit that includes pressure plate, disk, and slave cyl. ~$246
Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?-jqcxbac.png

Rock Auto Luk flywheel, $54
Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?-ame12fn.png

Gripforce's site, 2009 Corvette selected, results ordered by lowest price
Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?-y4ss50w.png

eBay search for "corvette LS7 clutch" ordered by lowest price
Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?-yhds42h.png
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I was trying point out that the whole setup including OEM C6 flywheel from rockauto was $300 from rockauto but everybody still wanted to pay $500 from an ebay seller for some reason.

Did the install this weekend and car is driving great, just like you would expect an OEM setup to feel. Clutch pedal is real nice and light with the LS7 setup and the pedal engagement moved from about an inch above the floor after install up to mid-way after only about 100-150 miles. Real happy about how it's feeling so far but am going to wait about 300 miles of city driving before really ripping on it.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just do yourself a favor and avoid a lightweight flywheel. Barely any performance gain for years of irritation.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Car is done. I'm going to pick up the keys this afternoon. Had a shop do the install, which ended up working out awesome. Aside from not having to drop a transmission in my garage while the car was on jack stands, I didn't have to deal with these misaligned bolts and flywheel.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those aren't misaligned. The factory flywheel is a sprung dual-mass unit. You can rotate the face of it to get at the bolts.

Quick Reply: Is the LS7 clutch still the way to go?