Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fel-Pro rear main question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fel-Pro rear main question

I'm in the midst of replacing my slave and installing a LS9 clutch kit, so changing out the rear main at the same time only makes sense. The old seal came out with a bit of force, cleaned the bore and crank, schmood a bit of rtv on the seal, and it slid in place with minimal effort.

Should it have been that easy? Coworker and big LS guy said to monitor for a few days and if it doesn't drip, it's fine. I dumped in an extra quart and it's been sitting for about 4 days without dripping. I though I had read elsewhere that the seal had to be tapped in to place. I literally seated it with my fingers. So before I get much farther, should I just source an OEM seal, or are people having good luck with the Fel-Pro unit? I also noticed the Fel-Pro doesn't sit flush with the rear cover like the OE part did.

Thoughts, experience, and input appreciated.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the rear main seal that is included with the cover. I never had just the seal done because i heard it's more difficult to get it just right. Not worth it to me for the small savings. Local dealer had it in stock. I think i got it for $20.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the Fel-Pro seal on a couple of builds in the last year and have three observations. I am 99% you must put the seal on dry and in the correct orientation. It should have tiny writing "this side out" on it. It took me a bit of tapping both times; did not slide right in. The silicone can actually act as a sort of lube before it cures, but I still think there would be some effort involved. I'd pull it out, clean it up, install a fresh DRY seal. Rear main seal can cause murderous thoughts(against the vehicle) when it leaks after you get everything back together. Auticide? Autocide?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercier
Rear main seal can cause murderous thoughts(against the vehicle) when it leaks after you get everything back together. Auticide? Autocide?

Thanks. That's pretty much where I didn't want to end up. I for sure installed in the correct orientation, and was completely shocked when it just dropped in. Even with the rtv I wouldn't think it would lube it that much. Luckily I didn't get too much father, just put the FW and PP on before I had to call it quits last weekend.

BRB calling local dealer.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

So the local Caddy dealer (Parkway) is apparently run by a bunch of scammers. Seal not in stock, $42, special order. Get fkd boy-o. Called over to the Chevy place (Autonation), both seals and complete covers on the shelf, $24 and $72, respectively. Guess who's getting my business.

Quick Reply: Fel-Pro rear main question