Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 to V1 Rear Subframe Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Don't jump to conclusions. We don't know if this does anything yet. More testing is required.
Vaguest statement I've ever heard from you. What do you mean we don't know if this "does" anything yet?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
Vaguest statement I've ever heard from you. What do you mean we don't know if this "does" anything yet?
I mean there are no significant benefits that we know about. The differential mounting points are a little better. The spindles and control arms are identical or interchangeable. Not "huge for the V1 platform" as you called it. That's why additional testing is required.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What gear options are available for the late model diff? How common is posi in these units?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If its the 2nd gen ctsv sub then I will raid my junk yard when i bust my rear end. If its just the cts rear end meh, not worth the trip.

The front end may fit my car as I am running a dry sump system instead of a regular oil pan
Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I mean there are no significant benefits that we know about. The differential mounting points are a little better. The spindles and control arms are identical or interchangeable. Not "huge for the V1 platform" as you called it. That's why additional testing is required.
Please don't lump these people and I in with yourself as "we" don't know the benefits. It appears that you're probably the only one who doesn't see the significance of this, and that's fine. This is huge for the platform whether *you* understand that or not.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Please don't lump these people and I in with yourself as "we" don't know the benefits. It appears that you're probably the only one who doesn't see the significance of this, and that's fine. This is huge for the platform whether *you* understand that or not.
Fuzzy is right maybe this has a negative reaction in the long term you don't know the consequences of swapping parts so why start applauding something when you don't know how it's going to finish
Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I applaud because the guy is in his garage turning wrenches and making **** work. Unlike you keyboard warriors who have been "building" bullshit for 10 years and created more problems out of thin air than you have ever solved, meanwhile discrediting people who are doing real work. I hate to break it to you and Fuzzy, but chief, your keyboard is never gonna get your car finished.

I'd like to add that this guy LSX416, whoever he may be, has contributed more to the V1 community in 5 simple posts than you 2 combined with your north of 4,000 posts.

Last edited by gtistile; 09-17-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Absolute load of crap.

What about 54inch he's contributed more than he has what about fuzzy and my STS spindle upgrade these are light years ahead, what about my subframe connectors, my chassis stiffners the fact that my car is more carbon fiber than anyone else out there what about the dry sump system that actually works on my car just like the vette what about the fact that I'm running The widest tires on the v

Yes I've been spendin time playing around with my ECM upgrade for a while but it worked now I'm taking the time in swapping the complete harness so that it will work properly

One great idea doesn't make someone epic it just raises interest
Old 09-17-2016, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am interested to see how it works out.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, props to the OP for doing this and sharing. ******* awesome man, my hat's off to you for even going down that road.
This is very exciting. Also this is not the first time a silver bullet is claimed (not necessarily by you, OP). Heard the same about, anti-hop axles, cradle bushings, 8.8s, and other bushings, solid bushings,subframe connectors. All these mods help to a certain degree. They also have their limitations.
I'm interested in the differences between the v1 and second gen cts (base) suspension....it's strange that it "could" work so much better, given so much is interchangeable. How different is it? Can entire base model cts diff/rear suspension perform better than a stock V1? Can a 3.6 DI cts get out of the hole faster than a V1? Aside from the V2 cast iron diff & asymmetric axles....how different is it, from the base?
Will it put down the power and launch and be fast without breaking? We all know v2s do this....they are starting to hurt their cast iron diffs. And they routinely break their axles......but they are damn fast!
I hope the op continues to hammer on this thing and share the results.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Let me revise my comment to "could well be epic." Anyone with first hand experience with both the V1 and V2 should know this is likely. I'm not sure why gtistile came raging in with a chip on his shoulder. That is uncalled for (and dickish) but the core belief is solid. Frankly, so is Fuzzy's concern. If one seriously knows these cars and has above a room temp IQ, you should know that GM effectively solved most of the major issues with the V1 with the intro of the V2. Driveline stability and longevity, cheap feel, road noise are all improved and the stuff that wasn't wrong still got improved, chassis rigidity, power, etc. Now, as we all know, the ultimate cost for this was weight, the 400-500lb upcharge. It would appear that the OP may have found a system swap for the rear that solves the worst beef of the die hard V1 guys, rear end fragility and movement, without a massive weight increase. Would be awesome to weigh the two assemblies but that's probably an afterthought now. In fact, I bet he has...I'll bet you a solid dollar on it. His impressions of solidity, quietness, and strength combined with the known robust V2 rear all demonstrate the improvements unequivocally. Where Fuzzy's comment really comes into its own is the long term effects. Things like accelerated bearing wear, tire wear, alignment problems, etc. are all possible side effects that you won't know for sure until you put XX thousand miles on it and inspect all the new components, tires, brakes, axles, and mounting points. I would summarize: there is a ton of value in the OP's post, reasonable heads up from Fuzzy to make sure this is as awesome as it looks now, and unnecessary ad hominem from gmoneystyle-homey.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I figured you guys would like this, I come on here from time to time, but don't post much. Have been planning it for about six months and finally got some time to do it. The reason I used base cts parts was the cost, I'm not really sure if there are any major differences in the parts. I heard that someone had done the subframe swap before so I decided to give it a try.

I also put my friends V2 on a lift before I started and took all the measurements just to see if all the mounting locations were the same.

Last edited by LSX416; 09-17-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much was the custom DSS shaft?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
How much was the custom DSS shaft?
Also length, one/two piece, material?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Let me revise my comment to "could well be epic." Anyone with first hand experience with both the V1 and V2 should know this is likely. I'm not sure why gtistile came raging in with a chip on his shoulder. That is uncalled for (and dickish) but the core belief is solid. Frankly, so is Fuzzy's concern. If one seriously knows these cars and has above a room temp IQ, you should know that GM effectively solved most of the major issues with the V1 with the intro of the V2. Driveline stability and longevity, cheap feel, road noise are all improved and the stuff that wasn't wrong still got improved, chassis rigidity, power, etc. Now, as we all know, the ultimate cost for this was weight, the 400-500lb upcharge. It would appear that the OP may have found a system swap for the rear that solves the worst beef of the die hard V1 guys, rear end fragility and movement, without a massive weight increase. Would be awesome to weigh the two assemblies but that's probably an afterthought now. In fact, I bet he has...I'll bet you a solid dollar on it. His impressions of solidity, quietness, and strength combined with the known robust V2 rear all demonstrate the improvements unequivocally. Where Fuzzy's comment really comes into its own is the long term effects. Things like accelerated bearing wear, tire wear, alignment problems, etc. are all possible side effects that you won't know for sure until you put XX thousand miles on it and inspect all the new components, tires, brakes, axles, and mounting points. I would summarize: there is a ton of value in the OP's post, reasonable heads up from Fuzzy to make sure this is as awesome as it looks now, and unnecessary ad hominem from gmoneystyle-homey.
LOL, just wanted to make sure he didn't take credit for this, as he does *everything* else that someone does to better the community. If that makes ME the ********, then so be it, but I get tired of seeing that and wanted to put a stop to it before it happened.

The rest of your concerns, if you read, were adressed in the OP. He said the alignment was spot on, and car is driving better than ever. Could there be long term issues? Well, I suppose, but let's give credit where credit is due instead of nut hugging these guys who only want to credit themselves while discrediting everyone else who has done actual, physical, real life, WORK.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

in for more info on just the mounting. Just longer bolts and bam it is in? Is base and V2 cradle same or did you inspectigate?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM Parts Direct shows matching part numbers for the cradle. Also, with the various suspension arms mounted differently, I figure that will allow for more aggressive wheels on stock trailing arms.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Teching In

1 piece aluminum driveshaft from DSS.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

LOL, just wanted to make sure he didn't take credit for this, as he does *everything* else that someone does to better the community. If that makes ME the ********, then so be it, but I get tired of seeing that and wanted to put a stop to it before it happened.

The rest of your concerns, if you read, were adressed in the OP. He said the alignment was spot on, and car is driving better than ever. Could there be long term issues? Well, I suppose, but let's give credit where credit is due instead of nut hugging these guys who only want to credit themselves while discrediting everyone else who has done actual, physical, real life, WORK.
Notice I stopped short of calling you a dick, on purpose, but you gotta admit you came in hot. I got the message there was some history I am unfamiliar with. I'm with you, man, on all points. I did give credit where it's due and if anything, I would bias it towards the guy who did the work. Ideas are important but way more important once they get implemented. This looks like it could be a REAL problem solver for guys attached to their V1s. Even with possible long term issues being untested as yet, I myself am very optimistic and would bet a cold, hard dollar it's a great solution.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow this may change the 8.8 game.

Quick Reply: V2 to V1 Rear Subframe Swap