Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Temperature Issue - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Temperature Issue - Help

So midway through my ride home this evening, I get a message in the DIC, saying "Engine Hot - AC Off" I look over at my temp gauge on the dash and it drops all the way to cool. I then cycle through the electronic gauges under the tach and the coolant temp gauge has no reading. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

short. you didnt mention coolant gushing or steam coming from under your hood, im assuming you made it home fine. but if gauges drop something is broken in the connection or the sensor failed. make sure wires didnt melt and then look at the sensor
Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The above is likely right. Outside possibility: coolant is low causing pockets of air/steam in the heads, the sensor can give a faulty reading when not actually touching coolant.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the lack of info in the first post guys, was in a rush to get to a mandatory work dinner. Anyways, no loss of coolant, coolant is at the proper level in the reserve tank, and both hoses into the radiator are firm. Nothing other than the dial/gauges showing 0 would lead me to know something was wrong. Thanks for the info, will dig into her Friday.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered a new sensor today figured for under 20 bucks it is worth throwing in there. Should be here Saturday, will let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jcollege
Ordered a new sensor today figured for under 20 bucks it is worth throwing in there. Should be here Saturday, will let you know how it turns out.
It's probably too late to ask, but did you check the wiring harness connection at the sensor (driver's side head, right behind the power steering pump) to make sure that it was still connected and that the pins are relatively clean?

I can't tell you how many of those sensors I've ruined by snapping off the coolant temperature sensor's plastic connector.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah I didnt have time yesterday or today, so for the price of the sensor, figured F it. Will check all the grounds and replace the sensor this weekend. With a 1 month old at home, figure this is the perfect excuse for sometime "dad" time in the garage
Old 10-13-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcollege
Nah I didnt have time yesterday or today, so for the price of the sensor, figured F it. Will check all the grounds and replace the sensor this weekend. With a 1 month old at home, figure this is the perfect excuse for sometime "dad" time in the garage
Toss a little deilectric grease in there for future-proofing.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replaced the sensor and everything is good to go. Brilliant me forgot to put a can pan underneath the car, so have a nice stain in the driveway from the coolant.

Quick Reply: Temperature Issue - Help