Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch fluid leak

I have this line that goes from the master to the slave. I have the wilwood master cylinder.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...2004-07-cts-v/
The other day I noticed I had what looked like oil on the bottom of the bell housing. I used my boriscope camera to inspect inside the bell. Found the culprit to be the line leaking where it connects to the slave. This side of the connection only has two o-rings and a small clip, just like the factory line. It seems like when things come up to temperature is when it leaks, guessing from expansion or something.
Clutch fluid leak-photo217.jpg
Clutch fluid leak-photo228.jpg
Also when the clutch pedal is pressed I can see the fitting move outward from the slave a very small amount.
Has anyone else used this line from Tick Performance? If so, any leaking issues?
Attached Thumbnails Clutch fluid leak-photo642.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the line and have never experienced leaks. It's hard to say if it's a faulty slave cyl or line, though.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

I'd hope it's not the slave, it's brand new and so is the line. I'll keep checking things till I find it. I'm not totally convinced it's that line. Close inspection with my camera it looks like the rear main is dry, as it should be, it's a new motor with all new seals and gaskets with less than 1500 miles on it.

Clutch fluid leak-photo696.jpg
I know most everyone will say this is a terrible idea, but I made a decent size inspection hole. I still have to clean up the rough edges and make a cover for it. But I can replace the line if I need to without pulling the transmission. I can also spray the inside of the bell down with some brake cleaner to clean it, see if the leak comes back. I can inspect the slave and how it's moving without pulling the trans. Get a visual on the clutch, double check torque on the pressure plate bolts.

Last edited by 05CTSV; 10-20-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Clutch fluid leak-photo367.jpg
Also that large plug in the front of the trans looked damp, with the inspection hole I was able to get a ratchet in there and check how tight it was. I snugged it up a few turns for good measure.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought an inspection hole would be great. Just needs to be replaceable. Tap 4 holes on the corners so you can bolt something back on to keep debris out.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My remote bleeder setup came in loose where it is threaded. Was hand tight - surprised they sent it like that. I had to pull the trans to tighten it up with a wrench after it was leaking after while bleeding. Looks like there's a threaded connection on that line as well?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, there is a threaded connection there. It seems to be tight though. I watched the connection as the pedal was pressed repeatedly and saw nothing come out of that line on the o-ring side or the threaded side. My plan for now is just to clean things up inside the bell and see if I can then pinpoint where it's coming from or see if it comes back at all.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Clutch fluid leak-photo159.jpg
Clutch fluid leak-photo978.jpg
Well ****. Cleaned everything down, fired it up, let it get up to temp. Would ya look at that, just look at it! Bubbling out the pan gasket. Damn it!

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid leak