Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Start

Anyone ever heard of this,

Let my wife drive the V the other day and of course she knows nothing. Now there are dents on the bottom of the gas tank and the car is hard to start. The dents were not there before. Could she have pushed the gas tank into the bottom of the pump causing it to starve for fuel on start up. Once its running it seems to run fine.

I'm already thinking of taking the tank out and popping out the dents. It just looks like a lot of work if I'm wrong.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the gas tank got hit, you probably have bent fuel lines. That could be choking fuel flow. How the hell did the dents get there? The gas tank is shielded from damage by the rear subframe.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess would be that she pulled out of a parking lot, misjudged the curb, bottomed out on said curb, and pulled away as if nothing happened.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And my wife can't figure out why I refuse to teach her to drive the rest of my cars........

Short in the wiring? Not sure how it's routed.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been with my wife since end of 2003. She still can't use a clutch. Bought an automatic when my son was born in spring 2015. And replaced it the next spring with another automatic. She's never wanted to drive either.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
My guess would be that she pulled out of a parking lot, misjudged the curb, bottomed out on said curb, and pulled away as if nothing happened.
Even so, you'd have to press the subframe into the body of the car to start damaging the fuel tank (which is a really tall order). I've launched my V almost 3 feet in the air and landed on all four wheels with zero damage, so . . . yeah. It can take a beating.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the angle. (that's what she said)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

It could have been a foreign body that bounced and hit the tank, although, you would have to be extremely un-lucky, like fuzzy said, its real difficult. ChuckD, it is plausible, it just depends on where the dents are located on the tank. I would inspect the whole underneath of the car and try to follow the source of the damage, as Fuzzy and Vroom said, bent fuel lines, damaged wires etc. I hate when things like this happen, my spare tire well is dented a little because someone threw a trash bag, of what I assume was a dead body at the time, that also pulled my post O2 sensor out and the bracket off that supports the exhaust pipe
Old 01-02-2017, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol at everyones comments
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Nothing on the sub frame, just 2 dents in the tank.
I've been out of town since last week and when I started it today it seemed to be normal.

The comments are great!! hahaha Now I know why I got her a Tahoe to drive! I was replacing a motor mount in the Tahoe so she drove mine, that should have been a clue, who breaks a motor mount in a Tahoe .....

Quick Reply: Hard Start