Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help with factory cd player

Old 01-25-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with factory cd player

It just all the sudden stopped playind cds, it isnt jammed, it will take out all 6 and insert them, just wont read nothin, then when I have the radio on it still sounds like the CD player is still shufflen the disks around, any tips or tricks to try or is it shot?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the reader went bad to me, I dont know what it looks like on the inside of the HU, but when CD Players were big, you can replace the reader pretty easily. Have you tried disconnecting the battery? It just might be in stupid mode if you lucky
Old 01-26-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was able to reset mine when it was doing stupid **** by unplugging the cable in front of the shifter and running the car like that for a couple days. then everything started functioning again. electronics in this car seem to have some gremlins.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok thanks guys, ill try those two things
Old 03-08-2017, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Took out all 6 cds and installed a cd lens cleaner disc, now its stuck in there and it wont read it, and when i hit the eject button it just beeps at me twice, and when i hit the load button it dont do anything. So then i unpluged both battery terminals for like 30 mins and that didnt help. Should i try to pull the fuse under the rear seat and try that as a reset?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the disconnecting the battery didn't do anything pulling the fuse will do the same
Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you removed both battery terminals, did you turn the key to the on position? Usually there is some kind of capacitor in the radio system loop that will hold a small power reserve (So if you change your battery you keep your presets). Disconnect battery, turn key to on position, and let it sit like that for at least 2 min. Once you connect your battery back you should have to reset all your settings.

How long did you let it try to read the CD after inserting? Sometimes mine takes a few min (Seriously, the last one I put one in it took 5-6 min until it started playing) to "read" the CD and start playing. Annoying yes
Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

just go aftermarket, problem solved
Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe ill try to wait longer and see if it plays, i didnt turn on the key with the battery un hooked, i did touch the positive and nevative together while they were un hooked, heard that helps.

I would go aftermarket but i want to keep it all factory
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

going aftermarket in this car is a chore as there is many things tied into the radio. do your homework before you make that choice.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike ctsV
I would go aftermarket but i want to keep it all factory

Just keep the HU for when you do decide to trade or sell or anything else with it. I still have mine, but it will save you a headache and some frustration with that brick we have for HUs

EDIT:

Its not much of a chore, the wiring is simple, you lose the DIC function but with the right HU you can replace that using a torque pro app on the HU or a similar app. Then Having BT, better GPS and many other option just makes it more of a pleasant interface and not want to run your fist into that shotty screen

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 03-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with factory cd player