Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Getting this right

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I have been reading, the gold plated ls3 style tb operate in the opposite direction of the silver plated ls2. Though reading through various forums, it is said that it can be tuned, can anyone confirm this? I also verified that it is the right adapter kit that I would need.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gold blade throttles do not work with V ECUs.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmylez
Gold blade throttles do not work with V ECUs.

Thank you,
I sucked it up and bought NW last night, my tuner said the same thing, oh well, hopefully I can make some money off the BBK to help pay for it.

Getting the transmission out today, transferring everything i need from the ls6 to the new engine as i go along. I think my next hick up will be the new fuel rails to the two quick disconnects, i see the main line, but what is the other one for, the purge?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah one is feed, the other evap.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmylez
Yeah one is feed, the other evap.
I ordered a 8an make quick disconnect fitting, I am going to try to hook straight to the back of the fuel rail. I will still connect the evap can, even though it is tuned out. Got the tranny out today, let me tell you, it basically fell out onto my hand, luckily the jack had most of the weight

Last edited by Anthony Toal; 02-25-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I was wondering, since I have to use a different valley cover for the new engine, what do you ls2 guys do with the hose that comes from the front of the intake that Us to the valley cover? I assume it is to pull vacuum. Also, I didnt see a nipple for a rubber hose that runs from the TB to the passenger valve cover. I was think of maybe running the hose from the intake to the passenger valve cover with a catch can.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCV routing should be vaccum source--valley cover--(engine)--valve cover--throttle body. You would put a catch can closest to where the outbound combustion gas and oil vapor is, so close to the output of the valley cover. The valley cover is a very good place to vent(out of the engine) because you don't have as much oil splashing around there as you do in the valve cover, for instance. Venting /out/ of the valve cover without a really robust baffle can actually cause oil consumption--enough you might think the engine is burning oil. And I suppose it is in that case; just not the way you would initially suspect due to rings or seals.

Catch can is a great idea and I consider mandatory on my LS engines.

LS2 valley cover, last I remember, had the LS6-style PCV with a bit of a passive filter/condensing piece on the underside of the cover. Am I forgetting something since I haven't seen the V valley cover in several months? When I head to work in a bit I will update with a pic of the LS2 valley cover that's in the back of my truck somewhere. I think that is what you need.

Oh wait--are you still inboard(valley) knock sensors?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mercier
PCV routing should be vaccum source--valley cover--(engine)--valve cover--throttle body. You would put a catch can closest to where the outbound combustion gas and oil vapor is, so close to the output of the valley cover. The valley cover is a very good place to vent(out of the engine) because you don't have as much oil splashing around there as you do in the valve cover, for instance. Venting /out/ of the valve cover without a really robust baffle can actually cause oil consumption--enough you might think the engine is burning oil. And I suppose it is in that case; just not the way you would initially suspect due to rings or seals.

Catch can is a great idea and I consider mandatory on my LS engines.

LS2 valley cover, last I remember, had the LS6-style PCV with a bit of a passive filter/condensing piece on the underside of the cover. Am I forgetting something since I haven't seen the V valley cover in several months? When I head to work in a bit I will update with a pic of the LS2 valley cover that's in the back of my truck somewhere. I think that is what you need.

Oh wait--are you still inboard(valley) knock sensors?
The valley Cover that came with my LS1 to LS2 swap kit is just sheet metal, the only hole cut are for the bolts and the oil pressure sensor, so there isnt anything to vent through. I will take a picture of it when I get home. So my issue is, with the Nick Williams TB, I think i lose the routing from the TB to the passenger valve cover and with my current valley cover, i lose that routing from the intake to the valley cover. I never ran a catch can before so it is a new concept to me. I was thinking currently, running a line from the passenger valve cover, to catch can and then to the intake. Since I dont have anything to connect with the TB or Valley Cover. I am going outboard with the knock sensors, I wasnt sure if the old valley cover would fit, i noticed the back end of the two blocks were slightly different.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Anthony Toal
The valley Cover that came with my LS1 to LS2 swap kit is just sheet metal, the only hole cut are for the bolts and the oil pressure sensor, so there isnt anything to vent through. I will take a picture of it when I get home. So my issue is, with the Nick Williams TB, I think i lose the routing from the TB to the passenger valve cover and with my current valley cover, i lose that routing from the intake to the valley cover. I never ran a catch can before so it is a new concept to me. I was thinking currently, running a line from the passenger valve cover, to catch can and then to the intake. Since I dont have anything to connect with the TB or Valley Cover. I am going outboard with the knock sensors, I wasnt sure if the old valley cover would fit, i noticed the back end of the two blocks were slightly different.
OK I am starting to get a better picture of what you have going on. What exact model NW TB? I have a NW 92 on the Jeep and it has the nipple for the fresh air component. Really you are just trying to get fresh FILTERED and METERED air into the engine for PCV so if your TB absolutely has no provision, you can simply tap into the intake tube anywhere forward of the throttle blade and behind the air filter and MAF.

I think you should consider sourcing the LS2 valley cover. See pics below of my stock one that I will hopefully be re-using in the near future.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK I am starting to get a better picture of what you have going on. What exact model NW TB? I have a NW 92 on the Jeep and it has the nipple for the fresh air component. Really you are just trying to get fresh FILTERED and METERED air into the engine for PCV so if your TB absolutely has no provision, you can simply tap into the intake tube anywhere forward of the throttle blade and behind the air filter and MAF.

I think you should consider sourcing the LS2 valley cover. See pics below of my stock one that I will hopefully be re-using in the near future.
102 NW, and I didnt think about tapping into the tube, thanks for that idea.

Yea, the LS6 and LS2 Valley Covers are different towards the back where the oil pressure sensor is, what I was thinking about doing is drilling a hole into mine, put a 90 degree baffle inside and run a nipple on the outside and seal everything up.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a worthwhile plan of action. It occurs to me that the pinholes in the bottom of the LS2 baffle likely serve as a restrictor so you don't lose too much vacuum. If you go the route of a simple baffle, I think you should look into a restrictor in the line somewhere.

To be clear--you are using a Gen III block? If so, why not use the LS6 valley cover and just don't use the knock sensors?

Last edited by Mercier; 03-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a worthwhile plan of action. It occurs to me that the pinholes in the bottom of the LS2 baffle likely serve as a restrictor so you don't lose too much vacuum. If you go the route of a simple baffle, I think you should look into a restrictor in the line somewhere.

To be clear--you are using a Gen III block? If so, why not use the LS6 valley cover and just don't use the knock sensors?
If that is the case, I can add a needle valve to help control the vacuum, I figured those holes were just a way to extract gasses with little oil as possible, there might be baffles inside to separate the two mixes. Which is my thought of doing a 90 degree baffles, since oil is heavier.

Its a Gen 4 block, everything would be simpler if it was a gen 3
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

If that is the case, I can add a needle valve to help control the vacuum, I figured those holes were just a way to extract gasses with little oil as possible, there might be baffles inside to separate the two mixes. Which is my thought of doing a 90 degree baffles, since oil is heavier.

Its a Gen 4 block, everything would be simpler if it was a gen 3
With Gen IV block, why not use the LS2 valley cover? Am I confused again?

Last edited by Mercier; 03-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

With Gen IV block, why not use the LS2 valley cover?
I was hoping not to have to buy one, after having to buy the NW TB, my budget got hurt some. looking on ebay, they are going for 120ish, if I can find a used one, that would help
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

I was hoping not to have to buy one, after having to buy the NW TB, my budget got hurt some. looking on ebay, they are going for 120ish, if I can find a used one, that would help
OK that makes sense. I would be willing to sell you mine for $50 + shipping if you don't mind cleaning it up. Give me an excuse to buy a new one. Shipping likely ~$10.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I have is something similar to this

So what I was thinking about doing is, after seeing if I got clearance, is drill and tap a hole and run two 90 degree fittings that will be barbed. From what I have read, the PCV is to allow the positive pressure out of the crankcase, so I dont think I have to throttle or choke it. What catch cans do you run?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK that makes sense. I would be willing to sell you mine for $50 + shipping if you don't mind cleaning it up. Give me an excuse to buy a new one. Shipping likely ~$10.
you know how to make a man happy, I would like to try and mod the one I have first. If it doesnt work and you still have it, I will definitely PM you. My only concerned is whether if the vacuum needs to be modulated or not. looking on how to forums with ls1 to ls6 pcv, it looks like it doesnt really need to connect to the intake, just ambient air pressure to allow the engine "burb" the gasses.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Does your block need the DOD block-offs(see underside of LS2 piece)?

Simple vent isn't enough. You have intake vacuum from the intake to the valley cover and fresh air allows back in through the valve cover and then to throttle body or intake tube. Without a restrictor, it's basically an open vacuum leak I think.

I have one from catchcans.com on the Jeep that was affordable/attractive and worked well but Might Mouse is the ultimate and what I will be running on the V.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

If you don't employ vacuum and fresh air, you won't "clean" the inside of the engine but only prevent pressure buildup. Some value there, but IMO, the primary value of PCV is to keep all the bad stuff(combustion gasses/blowby) out of the engine.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't employ vacuum and fresh air, you won't "clean" the inside of the engine but only prevent pressure buildup. Some value there, but IMO, the primary value of PCV is to keep all the bad stuff(combustion gasses/blowby) out of the engine.
ok so what I am wondering is, with the larger intake tube and 102mm tb, I might be able to pull enough vacuum still with a 1/4 barb fitting without trying to modulate it and if it is a problem, I can try a throttle valve.

As for the DOD blocks, they are capped off with set screws

thanks for the info on the catch cans

Quick Reply: Getting this right