Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What tranny will work on 2005 ctsv

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

For the record, any of these trannies will work: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tranny&t=ffnt&iax=1&ia=images

I know because Mercier said so...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
If you had an LS2 wire harness and ECU from a 2006-07 V and ls2 engine from a gto, AND all the accessories from an LS2 Ctsv... You'd have an easier time. If you run the Ctsv ECU (for an LS6) it's probably not gonna work straight away with the ls1.. without tuner changing things.
There would be a tune needed but it would probably run without. The LS1 and LS6 aren't worlds apart..Cam and 15% better head flow. What about MAF and O2 sensors? OP, do you have those from the V or from the GTO? At this point I think we are far past the transmission questions and on to what it would take for GTO engine in the V. So this is the info with which you will confirm that the swap is feasible in general--enough so that you would invest in the transmission. I'm not desperate to sell and would rather you make sure you are confident on the overall path before you commit to the T56.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
For the record, any of these trannies will work: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tranny&t=ffnt&iax=1&ia=images

I know because Mercier said so...
I've always been a stick guy when it comes to CARS. Not so much with the "ladies."
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
There would be a tune needed but it would probably run without. The LS1 and LS6 aren't worlds apart..Cam and 15% better head flow. What about MAF and O2 sensors? OP, do you have those from the V or from the GTO? At this point I think we are far past the transmission questions and on to what it would take for GTO engine in the V. So this is the info with which you will confirm that the swap is feasible in general--enough so that you would invest in the transmission. I'm not desperate to sell and would rather you make sure you are confident on the overall path before you commit to the T56.
Mercier is on point here, the t56 is no longer your issue, but making everything on the LS1 work in the V is. Your cam and crank sensors should be in the same position, I dont know if the GTO oil pan has a sensor on it like the Vs do. Starter and Flywheel may be different and what everyone has said so far, the accessory drives. The PCV system may be different as well, discovered this recently with the help of Mercier and others. The engine mounts would have to be the same as well. The swap is feasible, just more of a headache since you dont have the original LS6 to swap everything over to the LS1, which to be honest, your V is going to be one of the slower ones stock wise. Unless your short on time and budget, I would remove anything GTO related from the LS1 and start from the ground up with it, making sure you got everything needed to bolt it right into the V. If time and money is a concern, I would slowly walk it into the engine bay, watching for clearances and try to get everything to fit, work and add or remove as needed. If your going go go through with this, I would nab the transmission, since everyone says it will work, the engine is now the problem
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

The overall sentiment is that it should work, but don't expect it to drop right in and plug into the existing harness perfectly. The parts to make it work are out there and available, both new and used. It may need a CTS-V specific oil pan, a few different shapes of sensors, a wire or two extended, etc. One solution at a time. If you keep your eye out for a set of 243 heads, you'd basically have an LS6 again. You could also have the existing heads ported with similar or better results.

Last edited by BudRacing; 03-16-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It's going to be painfully close to a drop in deal...painfully close, depending on what vehicle the LS1 came out of. Take your time and the nickels and dimes won't be so bad. If this is a daily, you may have to drop some coin to save time.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

So here is #1 definite difference GTO vs. CTS-V: Oil Pan. GTO looks to be front sump and V is rear. This I think is required. Good news is the GTO oil pan is likely desirable for certain other swaps.

Link to all popular oil pans and dimensions/pics:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

Exhaust manifolds GTO vs. V anyone? I do have a set of stock V1 manis sitting around also.

Here we have the explanation of the accy spacing, Corvette/V closest, F-body/GTO mid, Late Camaro/Truck farthest out. Truck will almost certainly NOT fit. I think we need someone with a assembled V to measure the tightest spot of accy to radiator/fan clearance(probably ABS and such too) to see if GTO drive would work.

https://www.lsxconcepts.com/product-...drive-systems/

PS-- Since I am a classifieds addict, here is some info on the GTO bellhousing:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...l#post19564214

Last edited by Mercier; 03-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Found these in another thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ican-made.html

Quick Reply: What tranny will work on 2005 ctsv