Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V owner with an A/C problem...

Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V owner with an A/C problem...

Hello all. I just recently acquired a high mileage (225,000 miles!!!!) 2005 CTS-V which I got for the price of a common used car. It is a slick top with no sunroof which I assume is rather rare considering it is a Cadillac. It is black with gray interior and is mostly stock other than a muffler delete and a K&N CAI. I am absolutely addicted to this car. I also have a 1987 Buick Grand National so the Caddy is my daily driver. I have had to do some maintenance items to my V but overall it has been super reliable. I replaced the alternator (twice because I put in a rebuilt parts store one the first time which is a "no-no" because it causes the battery light to stay on), the radiator hoses, the water pump and Creative Steel motor mounts. Now that winter is almost over I tried to use my A/C and nothing comes out but hot air. The compressor is not coming on and it seems like the cooling fans are not coming on either. The A/C worked fine when I purchased the car in November but now nothing. Is there a possibility that I messed something up while putting on my water pump or my hoses? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It could just have leaked out. When I had my Heep WJ it would bleed out slowly over the winter and then would work like you describe. I think it needs a certain level of refrigerant to know when to engage and disengage the clutch.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks isis, I will try that first. I noticed you are a PA resident as well, I live in Waynesboro which is Southeast of you on the MD line.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no expert on the V specifically but am a car guy and an engineer so I'm here to help. Not totally full of crap anyway. Let me know if you need a set of winter wheels/tires or a nearly new stock exhaust. That stuff sucks to ship.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM

I appreciate the help. I am interested in the wheels for sure, what do you want for them? Picked up in person of course.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmyers024
I appreciate the help. I am interested in the wheels for sure, what do you want for them? Picked up in person of course.
they have 7/32 and 8/32 Yokohama ice guards on them last I measured they're on stock wheels with TPMS in good shape. I think $800 is fair. What do you think? That's what I paid for the tires alone.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I picked up a set of A/C gauges from good ol' Harbor Freight on sale couple summers ago so I can actually see what's in the system. If you catch one of their frequent sales, the setup is pretty inexpensive (duh, it's HF!), and I think it's a good thing to have around - certainly better than relying on the gauge on the refill refrigerant can you can buy from Autozone/Advance Auto/whatever.

(Which reminds me, I need to pull that manifold set out and see what's up with the A/C on the beater Subaru I picked up a few months ago now that warm weather is starting to arrive...)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't see the high side there is no point in knowing the low. Buy a set of gauges. If the psi is too low it will not Compleat the circuit letting the compressor and fan to kick on
Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

In the mean time you can check the connection behind the compressor, you may have broken a wire when doing the motor mounts. I know my car at 103k, a wire snapped easily becuase it got so brittle, then again I am in Texas, but you do have salty roads
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I picked up a set of A/C gauges from good ol' Harbor Freight on sale couple summers ago so I can actually see what's in the system. If you catch one of their frequent sales, the setup is pretty inexpensive (duh, it's HF!), and I think it's a good thing to have around - certainly better than relying on the gauge on the refill refrigerant can you can buy from Autozone/Advance Auto/whatever.

(Which reminds me, I need to pull that manifold set out and see what's up with the A/C on the beater Subaru I picked up a few months ago now that warm weather is starting to arrive...)
Sorry to thread jack, but if you have a receipt or purchased with a credit card from HF between 2011 and 2016 you may be due a refund. Google for the class action lawsuit settlement. If I remember correctly, it starts at 10% if the only thing you have is the line item on your CC statement.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Teching In

My A/C wont turn on either. I heard a leak behind thr grill somewhere after trying to fill it. Ill have to track it down.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I definitely could have broke a wire doing the motor mounts, they were in there tight and I had to twist them around pretty good to get the old ones out and the new ones in. Isis, I may contact you later about the wheels. I don't really need winter tires because I have a beater Jeep Grand Cherokee for the snow. I was just interested in them as replacements for my wheels which the PO poorly painted black and curb rashed the life out of them.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taylor Ryan
My A/C wont turn on either. I heard a leak behind thr grill somewhere after trying to fill it. Ill have to track it down.
If you look in front of the radiator, there is the condenser, on the driver side to the front of the car, there are two bolts where the condenser lines go into, thats could be where your leak is, most likely from a loose connection or blown o-ring.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmyers024
Thanks all for the advice. I definitely could have broke a wire doing the motor mounts, they were in there tight and I had to twist them around pretty good to get the old ones out and the new ones in. Isis, I may contact you later about the wheels. I don't really need winter tires because I have a beater Jeep Grand Cherokee for the snow. I was just interested in them as replacements for my wheels which the PO poorly painted black and curb rashed the life out of them.
the wheels are pretty nice, only a small rash on one I think. In the fall you could probably recoup $200-400 out of this tires id think. No worries I'm in no hurry to unload them either. I go back and forth myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New V owner with an A/C problem...