Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

issues with V, wanted to see if any one has had these...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default issues with V, wanted to see if any one has had these...

Well, we all know that with the introduction of any new model vehicle, there is the unavoidable issues that can really hurt a cars reputation.

We are all aware of the rear end issues, the wheel-hop...blah blah blah!!!!

But I noticed something that has really got me thinking... On monday, i went to the dealer a saw a sts-v and 06' cts-v. The cts-v was in black/black but the roof was grey...HUH? Looked nice but i'll stay with my light grey interior. I noticed the shift boot was balck with white stitching which i might swap out for...mine has black stitching. (Am i spelling this word right? God i hate that!!)

Anyways, i got in and tried out the shifter...OMG!!! The 06's shifter felt awesome compared to mine. It was notchy and percise.

Now, i understand that most will testify that the stock shifter sucks but when comnpared to mine, its just nioght and day. SO i went outside an tried mine...yep!! I was right..night and day!!!

THis is what i NOW noticed was wrong..which i felt that it just wasnt right..

MY shifter in ANY GEAR has almost a full inch of play when pushing it side to side. It is NOT as notchy as the stock shifter and it crunches instead of a click feel. Also, i can make the shifter make a complete circle in neutral while the 06 cts-v'z shifter could barely move around in neutral. OH, and another thing, i can make a complete shift, while the car is off, in mostly 3rd and 5th/rev with the clutch engaged..meaning, my foot is not on the clutch pedal.

So, those anyone else have these issue of is mine just a busted shifter. I couldnt believe it and had my sales rep try it out and he was like WTF!! this is wrong. SO its gonna go into service and see what they can findout @ braman, which is the closest of all dealers around my house. The thing is that they had the car before and one of the repair managers stated that they're transmission EXPERT said that everything was ok!! "B to the muthafkin' S"

SO, anyone can relate? Also, my sunroof rattles or actually its more of a "Shifting", creaking kinda noise...which was "fixed" before and my interior door locks rattle around ALL THE TIME!!!!

Oh, i wanted to add....almot everytime i get the car sideways or spinning, i feel the clutch pedal sink into the firewall, like it is getting sucked in.....this happens almost everytime the stabilitrak needs to adjust the car or traction control...seems like a good way to stop the spin while absolutely destroying your clutch!!!

Last edited by obZidian; 01-18-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Gee wish i could help, but it sounds your dad got a lemon.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

My shifter feels the same way. I want to put the B&M shifter in it but the wife (who drives the car) says no. She drove one with it and didn't care for it but I loved it. Maybe an 06 will be the answer. Maybe I'll just due the B&M when I put the Magnacharger on and blame it on that.

Paul
Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

The sunroof rattle is something I've heard about more than a few times from other owners.

There is a clutch (slave cylinder?) TSB for the pedal grounding out on high RPM shifts. When your car is sideways, is it revving relatively high?

The shift linkage is really sloppy in these cars. A short throw shifter like UUC or helps a bit with the sloppy feeling, but the problem is in the linkage IMO. Yours sounds like an even bigger problem though.

All of these things should be fixed under warranty if your dealer is worth a crap. If they give you any problems, find another dealer who will help you.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Teching In

TSB for the clutch http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/d...-07-31-001.pdf

I have seen a couple cars that the plastic bushings in the shifter were completely worn out. Other than that you might just need to change the shifter.

Changing the shifter will make a huge difference. I have the UUC, it's a night and day difference. The B&M is less expensive, but it does generate a little more interior noise.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Swap to an aftermarket shifter

-or-

hit the dealer up for a replacement? Show them the difference and see what they say - maybe they can order an '06 part (but there might be something going on with the tranny as well).

Finally, the clutch TSB as above - they'll swap the clutch and pressure plate. Buy a lightweight flywheel and slip them a fifty to have them throw that in while they're at it
Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Stabilitrack does not slip the clutch for traction, it just pulls throttle, like you lifted your foot off the gas. You don't notice this because it's "drive by wire".
The clutch has a TSB, as stated above, for the pedal going to the ground.

My shifter also moves around like you describe, I got a UUC shifter which will fix that problem. The dealer SHOULD help you out though, seeming how they have an '06 to compare it with.

Also, the '06 T-56s had some revisions, which may explain your ease of shifting thru the gears.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I didn't have as much play in mine as your talking. Definitely have your delaer looks at it. I went the UUC and GTO **** & boot route (both have 'white', well silverish stiching that looks white). Good luck...
Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

sorry, been away.....

So yeah, when sideways, as long as i am above 2500rpm or 3k, i feel the pedal start to sink in....

YEah, i know about the TSB....thanks! But i had it in already for that and they said tha it was "ok". Gonna gonna go in for the 2nd time at this dealer.

The shifter is just frustrating. THe 06 felt awesome, just like if did a shifter swap. But i would like to hold out on UUC, which i will get eventually, until i see how far this goes with the dealer. I like the goat boot and i saw a few ppl got in on a sweet deal, but i liked the caddi boot with silvery/white stiching, i cant remember but i think the shifter is the same..to bad these arent threaded so i cna swap out for this momo that i have had my eyes on....

The transmission needs attention ans well as the shifter. All of this i will pursue forcefully at the dealer until they either fix it 110% or just deny my service. At this time i will pursue legal matters but that something we would all dont really want to get into. I just want to enjoy the ride and not want to crash the into a wall because im so frustrated with the shifter, the sunroof, the rear whine...blah blah blah...!!!

BUT, i'll say it again, this car is like a drug.... I know its broken/defective but I cant brin gmyself to drop her off at the dealer, not even for an oil change!!!

EDIT:

YES!!!!!!! POST NUMBER 1000.... NOW I CAN GET ALL THE GIRLS!!!

"ITS A CELEBRATION BITCHES!!!!!"
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Default TSB for clutch.....

Has anybody had this problem with the clutch staying on the floor at high rpm and then had the TSB done? Does it help? I had my dealer order the parts for the TSB but not sure I am willing to have the tranny pulled and clutch replaced if it is not going to solve the problem.
Originally Posted by Redline CTS-V
TSB for the clutch http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/d...-07-31-001.pdf

I have seen a couple cars that the plastic bushings in the shifter were completely worn out. Other than that you might just need to change the shifter.

Changing the shifter will make a huge difference. I have the UUC, it's a night and day difference. The B&M is less expensive, but it does generate a little more interior noise.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem. The dealer installed TSB parts fixed it (plus, you get a new clutch out of the deal).

WW
Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

That's sweet. Same pressure as the stok clutch? My wife thinks it is great.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well, go tthe V into to service today...again. I explained everything in detail and i got more than a few blank stares.

"Sigh"...i guess its better than "get out of my face"

But i mentioned everything and i hope it all gets done right, this will be the 2nd time. I really dont want to lemon this car but the 06 in their showroom sure looks very nice!! Its black on black, you know, the slow color combination..... but the shifter and clutch pedal feel is just amazing.

Guys, im serious, just go see an 06, if you can, and let me know if im going crazy.

let see what happens, updates soon or not, .....to come....
Old 02-07-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Ok!!!

I got the V back... thank god!!!!!!!!! I was going crazy with the rental... A gmc yukon which never seemed to wanta rev past 5k...i mean, not that i wanted to but that is wat i heard!

Anyways, as for the V...

The shifter was completely replaced and i must say that it feels just as good as the 06 that i tried. GUYS, i will say that with my exprience with my old shifter, it feels like i got an aftermarket shifter...its simply amazing. A whole new car, feels brand spanking new and i couldnt be happier. Now i can only imagine how it feels with an aftermarket shifter cuz everyone says its awesome...it just doesnt seem possible though the throws are long which would be sweet to shorten.

The 06 rear was ordered and should be here on friday so that is gonna get fixed soon. The sqeek from the rear, the GM bushings, were NOT there when i drove it with the mechanic but guess wat...as soon as i left, it was there again!!! So, on friday i will show him wats up.

THe sunroof was fixed, but i will update on that if it holds. Also, the door locks dont rattle anymore.

The trans does seem to "refuse 3rd gear and fourth and it does still hold the clutch pedal on a high rev (OVER 7k) shift so i will confirm if they did indeed check the flywheel serial number.... As for the trans, well, it could be either the clutch not fully disengaging or the shift forks are twisted and need replacing.

So, the shifter is great, the other issues were resolved. All the is left is the diff swap and checking for the trans and its supporting parts like the clutch and flywheel.

Wish me luck, though i had a long talk with the service manager and he seems to be honest, though it is still a bit too early. They have been friends of the family for years, my dad is now on his 7th caddi so they go WAY back.... These guys know me since i was a little nut!!

Anyways, i'll update as soon as i get it worked out. OH, we spoke about the clunk and he agreed with me that GM had a brain fart with that one and we have an agreement, which i will try to get in writting, that if will be adding a AWHK kit and that they wont void my warranty since they knwo GM will not provide a fix for the wheelhop and the clunk.

So, see ya laterZ!! CAR is driving so smooth...OH, they replaced the front two shocks because they were leaking (huh?) oh, well, the car now feels very tight up front, got rid of the floating around at speed so that might be something you guys might want to check out....
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

sorry guys, just checking my firewall features....had major issues posting the above post...kept getting the page cannot be found well, page....got it until i disable the firewall. but now i think i got it...

LAterZ!!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-Rocket
Has anybody had this problem with the clutch staying on the floor at high rpm and then had the TSB done? Does it help? I had my dealer order the parts for the TSB but not sure I am willing to have the tranny pulled and clutch replaced if it is not going to solve the problem.
I had the TSB done and it made an enormous different in the clutch feel and, of course, the clutch doesn't stick to the floor. I find the 1-2 shifts are actually easier to do smoothly.

The UUC short shifter is the key to making driving the V more enjoyable. I am so-so at DIY installs and I did it myself so most of you can as well.

Do the TSB and change the shifter and you'll be in V heaven!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

i'm thinking about getting a uuc short shifter.anything bad i should know about it?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Seattle CTS-V
I had the TSB done and it made an enormous different in the clutch feel and, of course, the clutch doesn't stick to the floor. I find the 1-2 shifts are actually easier to do smoothly.

The UUC short shifter is the key to making driving the V more enjoyable. I am so-so at DIY installs and I did it myself so most of you can as well.

Do the TSB and change the shifter and you'll be in V heaven!
Got my UUC shifter from UPS yesterday. Into the shop for the clutch tsb next week, I hope. Just been waiting for the shifter.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

nice!! Hopefully, i'll get mine soon, but i need my car!!

She's back at the dealer for the differencial swap _o6', well hopefully an 06) and the tsb clutch service.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ok a little update...

Got the car back yesterday from the dealer, man i almost fogot that i even had a V!!

Anyways, tehy replaced teh clutch/flywheel under the TSB and so far she is running fine. Pedal feel is a softer than before, i think, so not enough time to see if that did the trick. These are the part numbers:

12581713 F-plate
24230631 F-flywheel

I dont see anywhere mentioned for a clutch part number. Is the above number for the complete assembly? She was slipping BAD before she went in, now there is no slip so i think they fixed it... or so i hope.

Also, finally, had the diff replaced. This is the part number: 15793756 the additives are: (2) 89021677 Lub. , (1) 1052358 Lub.

Is this correct for the 06 rear? Is there a cast number on the housing to verify that i did infact got the right one? Dont really trust the dealer.

So far, i haven't completely broken her in, so no hard driving though i feel taht i wont until i get the wheelhop fixed. I did noticed a small amount of whine around 35-46mph, in 5th and 6th gear only, low throttle. I know that some gears and rears just whine but i should this be exceptable from this rear assembly? Anyone with a "new" rear have any similar results?

THe clunk and sqeek from the rear gm bushings is still there and that was supposed to be fixed.

Ty sunroof STILL rattles or shifts around, causing a creeking sound. On the statement it says that its working to spec so another trip to teh dealer for me.

The shifter was fixed ealrlier and i couldn't be happier. However, im now considering a short throw since it is praised about how muich the stock shift sucks. I can't imagine since before the fix, i could shake the shifter almost two inches left to right it was so bad. Now its nice and tight.

The UUC seems to be the common swap, but what about the B&M? I dont want anymore noise so the UUC is the way, but the katech and B&M are supposivley more percise and few have wrapped them with dynomat... how does this help out?

Also, gonna order the KARS stage 3 bar and some tires, looking at teh toyo t1-r for my DD tire.

sorry for the questions but just going with the flow.

Quick Reply: issues with V, wanted to see if any one has had these...